Is this good enough?

Options
So, Last month I became interested in lifting. My weight has always fluctuated massive, however even at my smallest I was not strong or lean. I'm just reading New rules for women.
So, this is my starter plan:

A very basic 5x5 plan at home:
Barbell Row
Barbell Squat
Over head press
Deadlift
Bench press

Anything to add that I can do at home? Not really working on isolation.
Also, a question I kinda know the answer too- I've been ill with a pretty horrible virus for over 2 weeks- had 4 days bed rest and finally starting to feel human. The doctor said no high impact exercise, for at least 2 more weeks, until we've ruled out Glandular fever (I'm not convinced it is, but they want to be sure); Weights or no weights? I think in a few days I will feel physically well enough- I'm just not sure if weights fall into the exercise category.

Thanks in advance, very very new to the idea of lifting!

Replies

• rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I think the routine looks good, but ask your doctor, not us, if that's in the range of what he feels its safe that you do right now. Lifting does no good if you are sick.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's a very solid starting point. I'm a big fan of lunges, so I'd add those... but it's not going to make or break your routine.

I'd say hold off at your dr's recommendation. Another week or 2 isn't going to make any different in the bigger picture.
  • Frankii_x
    Options
    You know full well missy you shouldn't be lifting while you feel like you do! xxx
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Do you have the equipment to lift heavy at home? I can't lift heavy and so I just use dumbbells at home and move quite fast and do lots of different moves including weghted lunges to get my heart rate up but I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers from others who do NROLFW.

What is your goal at the moment. Are you trying to retain or build muscle?

If your doc has said to wait then I would wait until you know whats going on with your body and feel well again. I might not wait 2 weeks but if it could be something serious then you don't want to put any more stress on your body right now.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    That's basically what I thought in regards to waiting; just she (the doctor) used running and cycling as an example. So to me weights are different. Back Monday so I will check. Patience is not my strong point.. I'm learning!

In regard to lunges- any particular way with them, weights etc?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I like walking lunges... nice long strides keeping your front knee more or less over your front foot and letting your trailing knee touch the ground. Do it with dumbbells for more resistance.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Luckily my husband has plates, barbells etc so I can use those just lower the weights. The more I read heavy with fewer reps seems more beneficial?
    My goal is to be lean and strong, I'd like definition when the 15-20lbs is off. I know women can't typically "bulk" up, and that's not my goal- I'd just like my body to have a higher muscle percentage/ lower body fat.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just hold the weights beside my body and other times I hold each end of a dumbbell up over my head to one side and then bring it down diagonally across my body to the other side of my body quite quickly as I lunge and I can feel it working my tummy muscles. Its quite challenging to stay balanced. I lunge backwards too
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a really good routine to start with at home. Just get yourself fully recovered before you start :smile:
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Luckily my husband has plates, barbells etc so I can use those just lower the weights. The more I read heavy with fewer reps seems more beneficial?
    My goal is to be lean and strong, I'd like definition when the 15-20lbs is off. I know women can't typically "bulk" up, and that's not my goal- I'd just like my body to have a higher muscle percentage/ lower body fat.

Yes, the most weight you can manage with decent form for 5-10 reps combined with an appropriate diet and lots of patience will get you there.