sore legs, help

Options
i have been running for 3 weeks now, my legs never really hurt ( maybe the first two days) i was a little sick yesterday but felt i could still workout, only ran for 5 mins and walked for 15mins ( really fast walk), mostly did strength training but this morning my right calf is killing me. So i read that using peppermint oil helps with sore muscles, is this true? i have been using lavender oil for sore muscles ( it works OK), but i herd peppermint is a lot better. Any thoughts?

Replies

• b3st
    b3st Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Bathing in salts helps with muscle aches.
  • EricaFaythe
    EricaFaythe Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend a date with a foam roller, a soak in a bathtub, then some light flow yoga that culminates in a stretch after all the muscles are warm.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Stretching after running also works wonders. I've found that the massaging action of applying an oil seems to be the most beneficial part. Moreso than the oil, itself. But stretching is even more important for my calves.
  • samco66
    samco66 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

thanks, ill try it. Would upping my potassium help? i herd that does too

"By releasing extra potassium which binds to the acid molecules and rids your muscles of soreness. " thats what i read
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Could have tweaked something but there are numerous things that may help;

foam rolling,
    stretching,
    salt or ice baths,
    recovery drink after exercise

My legs really only get sore after weight training (squats, deadlifts, etc.) and trying to push through a tough run the next day. I find a protein shake after a workout helps stave off the sore muscles the best for me.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Water, water, water, a foam roller, some yoga stretching and a protein shake within an hour after the workout.

I love this yoga series

1. Triangle
    Stretches the outer and inner hips and thighs; strengthens the core and legs.

2. Pyramid
    Stretches the hips and hamstrings; strengthens the quads and core.

3. Quadriceps Stretch in Lunge
    Stretches the front leg's hamstring and the back leg's hip flexors and quadriceps.

4. Pigeon Forward Fold
    Stretches the hip muscles, including the piriformis, and the iliotibial band.

5. Happy Baby
    Stretches the hamstrings and groin and helps release tension in the back.

6. Head to Knee
    Stretches the hamstrings and calves. Use a strap for assistance if your legs are tight.

Here is the link - there are some pictures - http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/flexible-routine
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

"By releasing extra potassium which binds to the acid molecules and rids your muscles of soreness. " thats what i read

I've found that if I eat a banana as a snack after a run I'm not as sore...but stretching is key.
  • samco66
    Options
    Could have tweaked something but there are numerous things that may help;

foam rolling,
    stretching,
    salt or ice baths,
    recovery drink after exercise

My legs really only get sore after weight training (squats, deadlifts, etc.) and trying to push through a tough run the next day. I find a protein shake after a workout helps stave off the sore muscles the best for me.

I eat a protein shake after wards (about 20g) and i stretch, maybe im not getting enough protein? i only got 94g yesterday and i weight 120lbs so i will have to up my protein. I have no idea what a foam rolling is so im going to look it up now, thanks! :)
  • samco66
    Options

I've found that if I eat a banana as a snack after a run I'm not as sore...but stretching is key.

thanks! i always stretch before and after because it feels soooo good! cool, i will being a banana with me when i go to the gym.

:)
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

Just keep your recommended macros when it comes to postassium. It's not water soluble so your body will try to process every bit if it you take in. That said there is such a thing as too much.

Usually the only things the oils or baths will do is have an effect because you are actively massaging the oils in or adding a warm compress. So yeah they work a little but not because if the direct thing you are doing.

Stretching and light activity are your friends with muscle soreness. Foam rollers are great but I can't personally attest to them.

The thing is be concerned about is that only one side is sore. So that usually means you tweaked something or that your form is highly favoring one side. Is it a dull or sharp pain?
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Foam roller is my best friend. Is it your calf or your shin? I got shin splints when I started running, in which case ice and compression are your friends.
  • samco66
    Options
    Water, water, water, a foam roller, some yoga stretching and a protein shake within an hour after the workout.

I love this yoga series

1. Triangle
    Stretches the outer and inner hips and thighs; strengthens the core and legs.

2. Pyramid
    Stretches the hips and hamstrings; strengthens the quads and core.

3. Quadriceps Stretch in Lunge
    Stretches the front leg's hamstring and the back leg's hip flexors and quadriceps.

4. Pigeon Forward Fold
    Stretches the hip muscles, including the piriformis, and the iliotibial band.

5. Happy Baby
    Stretches the hamstrings and groin and helps release tension in the back.

6. Head to Knee
    Stretches the hamstrings and calves. Use a strap for assistance if your legs are tight.

Here is the link - there are some pictures - http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/flexible-routine

hey! thanks so much, this was helpful, i really appricate it. I have been wanting to start doing yoga more often.
  • Julene64
    Julene64 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The best remedy I've found for sore muscles is a long soak in a hot bath with epsom salts. It's also supposed to be a good way to detox. Helps me relax and sleep better too when done just before bed. It's a remedy used by a lot of professional athletes. Good luck!
  • samco66
    Options

Just keep your recommended macros when it comes to postassium. It's not water soluble so your body will try to process every bit if it you take in. That said there is such a thing as too much.

Usually the only things the oils or baths will do is have an effect because you are actively massaging the oils in or adding a warm compress. So yeah they work a little but not because if the direct thing you are doing.

Stretching and light activity are your friends with muscle soreness. Foam rollers are great but I can't personally attest to them.

The thing is be concerned about is that only one side is sore. So that usually means you tweaked something or that your form is highly favoring one side. Is it a dull or sharp pain?

its actually a little worse now, its my knee that hurts too ( maybe even more then my calf). Its just an allover pain from the top of my knee, down the back of my calf to the front of my ankle. Not horrible, but enough to make me want it gone. if i had to choose one spot that hurts the most i would go with my knee, it didn't hurt as much when i woke up but its slowly coming around and starting to hurt more. i will have to take 2-3 days off and just do some strength training.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

its actually a little worse now, its my knee that hurts too ( maybe even more then my calf). Its just an allover pain from the top of my knee, down the back of my calf to the front of my ankle. Not horrible, but enough to make me want it gone. if i had to choose one spot that hurts the most i would go with my knee, it didn't hurt as much when i woke up but its slowly coming around and starting to hurt more. i will have to take 2-3 days off and just do some strength training.

Yeah, that doesn't sound normal at all. If its actually hurting in your knee than I would proceed with extreme extreme caution. Your talking about tendon and ligament pain then and that is not something to mess around with or push through. I personally wouldn't do any strength training that adds load to that leg either.

I'm not sure about others but I always play I safe with that. A week off might really suck but it never sucks as bad as months lost because you possibly worked an injury. I'd say take a week off from anything strenuous with that leg and if it still bothers you after that its time to go see someone.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    just a thought...

how "old" are your shoes (too many miles) ( you said 3wks, but are the shoes 3wks new or older)

or maybe the fit isn't good on that one side or you have too much impact and not enough support.

(just thinking out loud)

could just be breaking in the new legs too and you overdid it a bit.
  • samco66
    Options
    just a thought...

how "old" are your shoes (too many miles) ( you said 3wks, but are the shoes 3wks new or older)

or maybe the fit isn't good on that one side or you have too much impact and not enough support.

(just thinking out loud)

could just be breaking in the new legs too and you overdid it a bit.

new shoes, about 3 weeks old. I am going to look for some good inserts, im starting to realize i really need them. i have been working on my running form, still not there yet i don't think..... thanks for the asnwer :)