I'm confused! Help!

Options
So I'm supposed to consume 2100 calories a day, but I'm finding it hard to meet that goal. Not only is it hard to meet, but it's even more difficult trying to meet it without going over my carb, sugar or sodium allowance. Anyone know of foods that will get me to the calorie requirement without going over the other stuff?? Help!

Replies

• Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It would be helpful if you opened your diary. Otherwise I can just recommend lean proteins (not anything cured) and healthy fats like avocados & nuts that are unsalted.
  • bjkinkade
    bjkinkade Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    healthy peanut butter
  • Satiable
    Satiable Posts: 121
    Options
    It sounds like you need more calorie-dense foods that are high in protein and fat. Example:
    - unsalted nuts
    - eggs
    - meat
    - cheese

I wish I needed to eat more cheese! If you open your diary so everyone can see what you're eating you'll probably get more recommendations than you want.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need more calorie-dense foods that are high in protein and fat. Example:
    - unsalted nuts
    - eggs
    - meat
    - cheese

I wish I needed to eat more cheese! If you open your diary so everyone can see what you're eating you'll probably get more recommendations than you want.

this WATCH OUT FOR CHEESE.. high in Fat.

Meat lots of meat and lots of nuts. Some people like to use protien shakes also a clean way to supplement.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    If your sugar is going over because of the amount of fruit & veg you eat (not because of added sugar) you can safely ignore it unless you have a medical condition such as diabetes. I don't track sugar at all because of this - I substituted tracking fibre instead - and you want to get that number into the red if possible, unless you have digestive problems such as IBS.

Most people regard the figure for protein as a minimum too, which is fine if your kidneys are working properly.

Feel thankful that you can still eat lots of enjoyable food! :smile:
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods, meats, fats, cheeses, nuts, etc.
  • Flex382
    Flex382 Posts: 257
    Options
    - unsalted nuts
    - eggs
    - meat
    - cheese

Meat lots of meat and lots of nuts. Some people like to use protien shakes also a clean way to supplement.

Keep cheese in you want to keep you fats up. 1g of fat is 9 cal just keep that in mind for protein and carbs 1g = 4 cal
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical condition that would have you monitor your carb and sugar levels? Or even your sodium, to that matter?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you're tracking sodium and sugar?

As for the rest, it can take some time to figure out how foods and meals balance each other out so you have good fat/carb/protein intake. Pre-logging can be a great way to plan the day and establish some good habits.
  • kenyonl85
    kenyonl85 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    All I even worry about is calories. I don't look at the other stats. If you're at your calorie goal, you'll lose weight no matter where those calories came from.
  • cbobeau83
    Options
    No medical conditions, I was just trying to not go into the red with anything. I changed my privacy to "everyone" so I hope that helps. Thanks everyone!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Take sugar and sodium off until you get carbs, fat and protein dialed in. I still can't see your diary, but chances are that going over on protein would be good, going over on fat (slightly) probably is too.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Vegetables, whole grains, fish, beans, lean meats, vegetable fats, nuts, nut butters.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    CHICKEN: Chicken chicken chicken

Chicken - (Chi-ken) Chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken, chicken chicken chicken chicken.

Chicken chicken chicken chicken....
    - Chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken.
    - Chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken.
    - Chicken[1] chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken.

[1] - Chicken - ken, chick. CHICKEN: chicken. Chicken. Chicken.
    <http://chicken.com/&gt;
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Are you using a kitchen scale to get your serving sizes or eyeballing/just going with the database entries?
  • CarynMacD
    Options
    CHICKEN: Chicken chicken chicken

Chicken - (Chi-ken) Chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken, chicken chicken chicken chicken.

Chicken chicken chicken chicken....
    - Chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken.
    - Chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken.
    - Chicken[1] chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken.

[1] - Chicken - ken, chick. CHICKEN: chicken. Chicken. Chicken.
    <http://chicken.com/&gt;

Ummmmm.... so chicken then?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    - unsalted nuts
    - eggs
    - meat
    - cheese

Fat's not the devil, even saturated fat. Fat in general is necessary for the absorption of a number of micronutrients, and saturated fats have been shown to have a number of benefits, including decreasing (yes, decreasing) cardiovascular disease risks, and improving brain function, among other things.

OP - You're not hitting your protein or fat goals, even as low as they are already. You also eat a lot of premade foods.

Nix the premade foods and make your own, and you'll cut your sodium intake significantly. Trade the more empty foods, like the Fruit Loops and dinner rolls, for more nutritious foods, like eggs (yolk and all, dietary cholesterol has almost no effect on lipid levels, and the nutrients in the egg yolk more than make up for any lipid effect). Start shopping at the perimeter of the store. Avocados are a great way to get more fat in, and it's the unquestionably good monounsaturated fats. Drop the "buttery spreads" and get real butter. Butter isn't just fat, it's also got vitamins A, E, and K2 (K2 is rare in modern diets and can help prevent osteoporosis), butyrate (anti-inflammatory, helps protect the digestive system, and more) and conjugated linoleic acid (helps metabolism and has anti-cancer properties).

Eat more calorie dense foods, like more meat, nuts/nut butters, and full-fat dairy. Foods that are artificially made to be "low fat" are typically loaded with sugar (fat, salt, and sugar are what make foods palatable, so if you reduce one, you have to increase one or both of the others to make the food not taste like cardboard).