Can i have some 5 2 diet success stories please?

Options
Hi I am thinking of starting the 5 2 diet (fasting twice a week) but need some success stories to keep me motivated on those fasting days :)

Replies

• donnaburnett1982
    Options
    Ive been doing this diet for 10 days and lots 7lbs so far!! its great and I don't even feel like Im dieting!
  • tsmoore925
    tsmoore925 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    What is it?
  • dfarina33
    dfarina33 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it since March. Have completed about 50 "fast" days in all and have dropped to my goal weight of 205 from a high of 233 this year.

I find it pretty easy, because I only focus on what I eat two days a week. The rest of the week, I more or less eat what I want. I do exercise 5-6 times a week, including on fast days.

My usual diet, is a couple of cups of coffee or tea to get me through the fast day. Then I eat a small dinner.
    if you are creative it is amazing what you can do with 500/600 calories.

Now that I am used to it the fast days don't bother me at all. Although the first couple of weeks were very tough. For me, I have found it pretty easy to maintain and I plan on staying on it for the foreseeable future.
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I started the 5:2 in April 2013. I reached my goal weight and am on maintenance but still maintaining the two fast days because of the health benefits I have gained following this WOE. I'm still working on the maintenance aspect as I dropped another two pounds this morning. I'm a work in progress. We have some great resources and people on the 5:2 groups and we would love new members. I hope this works well for you.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Me :wink:

20kg (almost 45lbs) in 6 months with 5:2 and a healthy mix of different exercise, Nothing has ever worked so well and felt so easy and sustainable to me. (Been overweight all of my life and have not been this 'skinny' since maybe 14yrs old!)

It's not for everyone, but I love it and have a much better relationship to food and finally a realistic feeling for portion size.

12kg to go to be in the middle of my healthy BMI range, hope to get there in early 2014 and will maintain with the tools of 5:2 or 6:1 for the rest of my life....
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've been 5:2 fasting for 40½ weeks and have lost 74 lbs. This week, I reached my goal weight. Successful enough to motivate you? I hope so... :D
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hi I am thinking of starting the 5 2 diet (fasting twice a week) but need some success stories to keep me motivated on those fasting days :)

I started the 5:2 lifestyle in September this year. So glad I found it. I actually don't eat anything on my fasting days. I am sort of impatient to get this weight off. You can do this. Never give up.
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Me! Never been able to stick to any diet, then I discover 5:2. Started in early March and reached my goal weight three weeks ago and still losing a bit even though I've only fasted once in the last three weeks. I fasted Mondays and Thursday trying to keep at around 500 calories on those days. It works!
  • ElegantSlenderChic
    Options
    It sounds effective, please someone advise how many calories you eat on non fast days.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8005-5-2-fasting

Can I direct you folks to this group, where you'll find lots of support, advice, success stories and recipe ideas :smile:
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Please add me ,I am planning on doing this as I have stalled weigh loss for quite a while ,let me know what days you are picking and we can support one another.I have 25 to 30 lbs to loose.
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've only been fasting for 2 weeks, but I've lost 4 pounds, and feel like I've got my eating under control. I keep it around 500 calories on the day I fast, and eat well the rest of the week. This seems like something that I could do for a long time-I used to do it when I was in my 20's and never had a weight problem. Good luck-I'm sticking with it and hopefully will lose 20 more pounds.
  • summyv
    summyv Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a mixture of ADF and 5:2, and am 5lbs off my goal 1. It works for me, because I can be lazy when it comes to exercise. We all know where abs are really made.
  • Lillyloooo
    Lillyloooo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Looking for active 5:2 buddies????
    Add meeee
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Work for me but you have to try to know if it is sustainable for you
  • tamysimmonds
    tamysimmonds Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi

I've started this diet 2 weeks ago. Although last week I consumed 600 calories on the fasting days I still lost 2 pounds. I should consume less calories on the fasting days as I am only 4 foot 11 so I need less calories than most people and I am not that energetic at the moment. I am on maternity leave and back to work in April.

I really need some motivation! So I am really happy that I found this group. It would also be lovely if I can find some My Fitness Pal friends and we can check what we eat each day. Today I had 580 calories and I am planning on not eating anything until tomorrow.

Thanks a lot.

Tammy
  • JaniePapageorgio
    JaniePapageorgio Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    5:2 is great, I do 3:4 most weeks and I love love love it. Sometimes I go over my expectations on non-fast days and I get on the scale the next day and I'm still the same weight or one or two tenths of a pound less. I've been putting out this article which explains the reasoning behind these fasting diets, and while there is little research on 5:2 specifically, I have seen TONS of success on the boards. I love that the first part of he story is the actual study that lead to the concept of losing weight by fasting.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/01/the-new-way-to-love-food/283276/
  • Emcjf11
    Emcjf11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Tammy, I am also due back to work in April from maternity leave. I have been on 5:2 for 2 weeks and I have lost 4lbs. I'd love to keep in contact and motivate each other :)

Jane, that's an interesting article. I bought the 5:2 book from amazon and it has loads of research and articles it in as well as 500 calorie meal ideas.
  • tamysimmonds
    tamysimmonds Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Em, 4 lb is very good It sounds like you are motivated and sticking to the diet. I am very annoyed with myself. Today I was supposed to be on a fast day and I was doing really well until about 3 o'clock. After that I ate an orange, 2 spoons of Bolognese sauce and a slice of apple strudel :-(. Not good, I feel guilty now and I wish I hadn't eaten all that. Never mind, I am going shopping tomorrow and I am hoping that it will be easier to keep to my 500 calories. Also when I go to work I think it will be easier as work takes your mind off food.

How many calories do you have on a fast day? xx
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I have not tried this way of eating, but I was curious to know that if people doing it for a long period of time feel that on the days they "fast," they wake up the next morning feeling more rested and with more energy?

For some reason, if I eat less calories than expected in one day, I sleep REALLY well and only need 6-7 hours of sleep (versus a solid 8 hours) and when I wake up I feel like I've already had a cup of coffee!

Is this an effect anyone has on this lifestyle?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!