"this" vs "next"

Options
2»

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    If I'm not sure if they are talking about "this" weekend or "next" weekend, I ask them to clarify.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    we could schedule a riot over this, but only about half of the participants would show up on the right day, LOL
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    "This" is always nearest future. "Next is always at least one total week away. If something "is" this Wednesday, on a Friday, then assuming it was a previous Wednesday is silly because "is" is defined as present, not past.

I have a friend who watches my dog for me that ALWAYS thinks I'm talking about "this" weekend when I say "next" weekend. Never fails. I really need to curb my this/next vernacular around her.

ETA: Next Wednesday, on a Friday, is also acceptable to me.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    What I do is:
    1. If it is something I am interested in, I ask for a clarification.
    2. If I am going to blow it off, I have a ready made excuse :-)
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    What I do is:
    1. If it is something I am interested in, I ask for a clarification.
    2. If I am going to blow it off, I have a ready made excuse :-)

LOL
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Does how you interpret "this" or "next" depend on what day of the week it already is?

No, because I have more than one functioning brain cell.

liar.gif
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    we could schedule a riot over this, but only about half of the participants would show up on the right day, LOL

oh if it's a riot, now that I know that the brits and wolverine have different ideas you can bet I'm gonna show up on all the days.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I use this for the nearest, including the one we're in, and next for the one that will follow this one.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    to me, "next" means "next." so whatever the upcoming weekend is, that's the next one. it can get tricky sometimes, because if it's Friday, and someone says "next weekend" they almost always mean the one after the immediate one, because they feel like Friday is part of the weekend.

i usually interpret "this" as "next" as well.

if i mean something that happened earlier in the week, i will say "this past Wednesday" or whatever.

the main thing is, if i have any confusion about what is meant I like to use this thing called "questions." This is a tool that helps me clarify intent and meaning from the person sending the message.

OMG wolverine we could never have dated. If you told me "let's go out next weekend" I would have not been home when you showed up at my door on this weekend. I would have thought it was the following week after that and would have been out with Jof "this" weekend...as I see that's how he would have phrased it.

I do, however think we would have settled our differences reminiscing over "past wednesday" .
    :laugh: :laugh:
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Suppose it is Tuesday Nov 4 and I tell you I have plans 'next weekend'. Would you interpret that as Nov 9 & 10, or Nov 16 & 17?

Now suppose it is Friday Nov 8 and I tell you 'it's scheduled this Wednesday'. Would you assume whatever 'it' is, already happened two days ago, or is going to happen on Wednesday the 13th? What if I told you "it's scheduled next Wednesday"? Would you mark your calendar for Nov 13 or the 20th?

Does how you interpret "this" or "next" depend on what day of the week it already is?

Seems like math. I'm out...

Also, November the 4th was a Monday. Tuesday was the 5th. This whole discussion is invalid.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Anybody use the term 'Tuesday week?' as in, a week from the very next Tuesday? When that one gets thrown around, my brain just melts. LOL
    I think that's a British thing. Like "half nine" for 9:30.

Confirmed - 'tuesday week' is a Brit thing (I'm a Brit living in the states). Of course, if you really want to confuse a yank, you say 'Tuesday fortnight'.

I'll see you in a couple weeks Tuesday. My wife is first generation US...Scottish/English parents (yeah, sometimes family gatherings are interesting), especially when we visit the other side of the pond.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    to me, "next" means "next." so whatever the upcoming weekend is, that's the next one. it can get tricky sometimes, because if it's Friday, and someone says "next weekend" they almost always mean the one after the immediate one, because they feel like Friday is part of the weekend.

if i mean something that happened earlier in the week, i will say "this past Wednesday" or whatever.

the main thing is, if i have any confusion about what is meant I like to use this thing called "questions." This is a tool that helps me clarify intent and meaning from the person sending the message.

yup, this. next!
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

^^This... well put!
  • ksmiley412
    ksmiley412 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    "this" is the next one to occur. "next" is the second one to occur. There are probably exceptions, but this is my starting point.
    ^^this^^
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    ^^ This
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    This is how you'll never have to guess again: when you get a response or statement like this, ask for clarification. "Do you mean this coming up weekend, or the one after that?", etc.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    If on Monday, whether you say "this Friday" or "next Friday", you mean the one that is the next one that will occur, but "this Wednesay" and "next Wednesday" refer to the one about to happen and the one that will follow that, respectively.

You see, it matters how soon from the day it is until the day you mean as to whether or not the next one is a "this" or a "next".

If you are between 4 and 6 days away, this and next refer to the same day. From 2-3 days, use this for the first one and next for the one after that. If you are seven days away, then you shouldn't be using "this" at all, since that would be today, you schmuck. Next is the only one that applies in this case & if you need to refer to the one after that, it would be the "after next".

If you are within one day, "this" shouldn't even be used. It's tomorrow. Please get your terms straight.

Are you still paying attention? Because weekends follow a completely different rule set. They are not a day, but represent a time frame that includes from Friday at 5pm (local time) until Sunday at 2am (again, local time). The weekend as a whole can be referred to interchangeably as next or this up until 4:15pm (two time zones ahead however in this case), at which point this refers to the one that is pending and next will refer to the one that follows. This split is in place until 3pm GMT on Tuesday. Until that time, this weekend refers to the one currently in progress or just completed depending on whether or not it's after midnight on Sunday (back to local time here), and next is used for the one pending.

Come on people. This is science!!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    If on Monday, whether you say "this Friday" or "next Friday", you mean the one that is the next one that will occur, but "this Wednesay" and "next Wednesday" refer to the one about to happen and the one that will follow that, respectively.

You see, it matters how soon from the day it is until the day you mean as to whether or not the next one is a "this" or a "next".

If you are between 4 and 6 days away, this and next refer to the same day. From 2-3 days, use this for the first one and next for the one after that. If you are seven days away, then you shouldn't be using "this" at all, since that would be today, you schmuck. Next is the only one that applies in this case & if you need to refer to the one after that, it would be the "after next".

If you are within one day, "this" shouldn't even be used. It's tomorrow. Please get your terms straight.

Are you still paying attention? Because weekends follow a completely different rule set. They are not a day, but represent a time frame that includes from Friday at 5pm (local time) until Sunday at 2am (again, local time). The weekend as a whole can be referred to interchangeably as next or this up until 4:15pm (two time zones ahead however in this case), at which point this refers to the one that is pending and next will refer to the one that follows. This split is in place until 3pm GMT on Tuesday. Until that time, this weekend refers to the one currently in progress or just completed depending on whether or not it's after midnight on Sunday (back to local time here), and next is used for the one pending.

Come on people. This is science!!

822227.jpg
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I don't plan anything so I am not sure.