Low Carb / High Carb

Options
Has anyone tried the "diet" where you eat low carb one day and higher carb the next? Does this really work and do you have any tips?

Replies

• runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Not sure how this is an actual diet since it pretty much averages out. That being said, I have eaten like that. Lower carb for non-run days, higher carb for run days.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i just eat high carb!
    i personally really like it, i have so much energy
    but obviously keeping it to good carbs
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Carb cycling right?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1057636-chris-powell-carb-cycling?hl=carb+cycle

I eat high carbs MWF on training days. Low carb on TTh cardio days. Not trying to loose weight, just minimize fat gain while gaining.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've tried many "diets"....never tried this one. Every new gimmick makes someone a ton of cash.

What is this supposed to do exactly? Calorie deficit is what helps you lose weight. Some people do well with low carb diets, other people do well with high fat diets.

For me (no medical issues) ....I'm taking the "no diet" approach. I'm working toward a new lifestyle that will help me take weight off & keep it off......nothing new about it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the "diet" where you eat low carb one day and higher carb the next? Does this really work and do you have any tips?

it's called carb cycling. And like most things, it has it's place but isn't a miracle cure. You still need to sustain a deficit to lose weight.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options

In my experience, unless there a specific "need", and I say that loosely, for carb cycling such as intermittnet heavy activity days, then it's really not beneficial. It just made me miserable on the low carb days. I didn't really see any benefit after trying it for a few months.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    It can work depending on what your goals are. As long as you maintain a NET calorie deficit you will lose weight. I dont think there is evidence most people will see better results than just having a steady daily intake unless you are very lean already. That is not something most of us have a problem with.

It could possibly help you with adherence though. Having one day with low carb (thus lower calorie) might be easier if you know you can eat more tomorrow. It may make it more difficult than it needs to be and hurt adherence so you just have to try it out for yourself.

I follow the MFP model where I eat back my exercise calories so technically I do cycle my carbs but my deficit or surplus is maintained daily.

Some people think they should eat in a surplus on workout days and eat at a deficit on rest days. They believe this will allow them to grow muscle without adding much fat. Personally I dont think this will have any advantage over just maintaining a small surplus day to day. The problem with this thinking is that muscle protein synthesis is elevated for up to 36 hours after a workout and some studies show an increase of MPS of 100% at the 24 hour mark. The people limiting calories on the off days are doing so right in the most effective part of muscle building and recovery. It also limits calories the day before your next workout possibly leading to less energy and performance.
  • vickish76
    vickish76 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone! Very helpful!