Going out for an Indian

Options
Tonight we are going out as a family to an Indian resturant.

I find it really hard choosing and it annoys me so much that menu's do not provide calorie and fat content next to the choices!

Does any one know which curry's (mild-medium) will be on the lower calorie side compared to the others?

Replies

• superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I skip the curries (since many are ghee/cream based) and go for the meat/veg dishes that come out on sizzling skillets. I take 1/2 the meat and put it in a 'to go' container and eat my fill of the rest of the meat and veg. Also, ordering Indian as spicy as I can stand it helps slow me down. I just get a spicy chutny on the side and dip into it.

ENJOY!

Charmagne
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    I think a safe bet is the Tandoori Chicken. I've seen around 356 per serving and you can skip the rice if you want. I had Indian food last week and I just made sure to eat smaller portions.

Enjoy!
  • determined99
    Options
    indian food is yummy but dangerous! keep away from the creamy curries :smile:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Indian food at its heart is oil + veggies + spices. Its not intrinsically bad for you.

For curries, find out what they use to make it a cream. Many traditional recipes usually use yogurt, not plain cream. Pretty much all recipes will be prepared with a healthy amount of oil. You could stick with healthier options like aloo gobi (cauliflour and potatoes) or chana masala (chickpeas and spices). Don't be afraid to ask questions.
  • CarlyDee
    CarlyDee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will try and choose as best I can!

I will try and get someone to share rice and naan bread with me.

I really enjoy Aloo Gobi so will def be going for that, or the spinach one.

Ive been good all day so have saved up my calories! I get weighed in my diet class tomorrow night so I hope this meal doesnt ruin the hard work Ive done this week! :) x