Holiday Meals

Options
19wilson88
19wilson88 Posts: 30 Member
Does anyone have recommendations for light (ish) recipes for the holidays? I love Thanksgiving, and I'm planning on "cheating" that day anyway, but it'd be nice to know that my cheat isn't as bad as it could be. I'm vegetarian, so turkey recipes aren't my thing, but pies, stuffing, potatoes, green beans, etc, etc are all on the menu!

Thanks!

Replies

• dzlilo
    dzlilo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had planned on eating a plain baked sweet potato instead of the casserole. I have been researching stuffing substitutes. Stuffing is yummy, yet so evil. I have to keep it low carb, too. I was looking at other options besides stuffing made with bread or corn bread.

I will probably make this, since I made it one similar to it before:
    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/wild-rice-pilaf-with-dried-cranberries-and-pecans.html

Light version of green been casserole:
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/green-bean-casserole-50400000116747/

Veggie dishes I have bookmarked/pinned:
    -pumpkin ravioli
    -roasted brussel sprouts (Ina Garten has good simple recipe)
    -roasted spaghetti squash with tomatoes, broccoli, peas
    -cauliflower & sweet potato soup (pureed)

Are you having Tofurkey?! :)

I have a friend who is vegan. She introduced to me to so many yummy dishes!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    parks-and-rec-treat-yo-self.gif
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I made green beans with mushrooms the other day (http://www.fooddownunder.info/2012/03/sautaed-green-beans-with-mushrooms/) and I thought "hey I could do this for thanksgiving instead of green bean casserole with the cream of mushroom!" it might not be that exciting to others, but I can't eat the creamed stuff. I've also made green beans sauteed with tomatos (and garlic, onion, olive oil & seasonings) and topped it with french fried onions and it is yummmmmy.

I'm thinking about making a butternut squash dish this year too. I saw a bunch on Martha's Stewart's site. One is butternut squash mashed potatos and i think that might have mass appeal. Also, I find just plain roasted butternut squash with a little oil and seasoning to be delicious. Same for brussel sprouts (I had them roasted with cranberries and almonds I think it was - sooooo good!).

Of course, if you want some of the typical far, you should treat yourself and enjoy it! For me personally, i don't like (and can't eat anyway!) all that creamed this and that so it's not really a treat :X And veggie too, so no turkey. I'd rather pick the things I really find to be a good treat - (omg stuffing! biscuits!) - and pass on the stuff that really isn't that exciting to me anyway (creamed brussel sprouts - meh).
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    eat-all-the-things.jpg
  • 19wilson88
    19wilson88 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just gonna make the most delicious of foods (seitan "turkey") and eat them with no remorse! Then I'll get back on the wagon. If I enter the recipes into MFP recipe calculator, at least I can moderate myself when it comes to leftovers.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    We'll be having roasted duck (just tradition, nothing wrong with turkey), cauliflower mashed potatoes, prosciutto wrapped green beans, and cranberry chutney :) I'm going to try to figure out some sort of low carb pecan dessert but I haven't gotten that far yet... My man and I do holidays solo, though, since we're really far away from our families so I think that makes it a little easier to keep in control. If you're doing the big family potluck just get yourself a plate, reasonable portions, and eat until you're satisfied! If you have a slice of pie it's not the end of the world :drinker:
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    eat-all-the-things.jpg

hahaha
  • Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    eat-all-the-things.jpg

This...I will be doing massive amounts of exercise before and especially after just so I can do the above lol. In the mean time, I will be 100% on target until then and again after until Christmas where I will lather, rinse, repeat. I still plan to enter everything so I can budget how much of 'all tha things' I will eat and I refuse to go over what I actually burn those days. So technically, I should be able to enjoy the food fully and not lose or gain if I play my cards right.