Why weights?

Options
Hi there,
I know that weight training is important! However, I just can't get "into it." I love cardio and my body looks good but I know I could lose some extra fat by doing weights.
Can someone explain WHY weights are good for you? Other than the fact that they burn more calories afterwards! And please, no rude remarks!

Replies

• stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    They will make you stronger, and should give you a better physique.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights while on a deficit will allow for more retention of LBM, lowering body fat % more than just dieting alone. This is what achieves the "toned" look so many women want.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    With weight training and proper diet, you'll keep as much lean mass (the good stuff) as possible while losing fat (the bad stuff) when you lose weight. Without weight training, you'll lose a bit of lean mass.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights helps to retain lean body mass while one is in calorie deficit. If you lose lean mass, your metabolic rate slows even more, hence fat loss will take much longer and you'll even have to reduce you intake more to help achieve it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The posts above are correct. Weights help to retain muscle as you lose, and to prevent bone loss as you age (with proper diet).

BUT, you don't have to lift weights to achieve etiher of those. You just need some type of resistance training. Resistance bands or bodyweight exercise (pushups, lunges, squats, pull ups, etc.) can also do it.
  • Yoga_Fitness
    Options
    All this advice is wonderful! Thank you for the help! Do I burn more calories doing weights than cardio?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Nothing really to add other than...

Do you enjoy doing dishes? Do you enjoy cleaning the toilet? Do you enjoy paying taxes? Do you do those things anyway?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    All this advice is wonderful! Thank you for the help! Do I burn more calories doing weights than cardio?

Probably not, but it's hard to say for sure... there are so many factors/variables.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Nothing really to add other than...

Do you enjoy doing dishes? Do you enjoy cleaning the toilet? Do you enjoy paying taxes? Do you do those things anyway?

Hahaha! Maybe this is why I struggle with weights so much. I pay someone to do all that ^^ stuff for me. If only I could pay someone to lift weights for me and still get the benefits. Somethings money can't buy. :grumble:

ETA: I don't technically pay someone to pay my taxes, just to prepare the tax return.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My simple reason, look at some of the heavy lifting females on my friends list or go to "TOPIC: Women lifting heavy - with pics"
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1064847-women-lifting-heavy-with-pics
    and look, these women look amazing. Plus I want to look great naked, not just in clothes :wink:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I know that weight training is important! However, I just can't get "into it." I love cardio and my body looks good but I know I could lose some extra fat by doing weights.
    Can someone explain WHY weights are good for you? Other than the fact that they burn more calories afterwards! And please, no rude remarks!

Why weights? Because they're heavy. :)

Seriously, when you lose weight your body tends to get rid of large amounts of muscle mass because it burns more calories than fat mass. The body is always preparing for starvation. The way you prevent the loss of all that muscle mass is through progressive resistance training. Weights are the easiest, most direct, most effective way to accomplish that.
  • EricaFaythe
    EricaFaythe Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Weights are important because they work different things than cardio. One is an aerobic exercise (cardio) and one is anaerobic (weights) and thus you derive different benefits from doing each one. Keep in mind that while both increase your endurance and your body's efficacy, they do so in different ways. First, you're going to burn more calories while performing cardio, but when you lift weights, you have a continuous bout of time where you continue to burn calories AFTER your workout. Additionally, when you have more muscle mass, your resting metabolic rate is higher, which means you burn more calories just sitting there. Depending on your cardio, you also might not be targeting all your muscle groups (tons of people run, but many don't do rowing to target arms or burpees which target everything). With cardio, you risk eating into your lean muscle mass, while lifting weights will help retain this muscle. In short, weight lifting fills all the gaps that cardio doesn't address, and is the perfect yin to its yang.
  • SiouxsieSnowflake
    Options
    Any workouts especially good at providing both resistance/strength training and cardio?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Any workouts especially good at providing both resistance/strength training and cardio?

No. They are fundamentally different. The more you blend them, the less you benefit from either.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Gymnastics. Swimming. Plyometrics. Burpees (is that a type of plyometric?). Jump rope. Boxing or kickboxing.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same question. Until I lost the weight and everything was just sagging. Someone recommended that I start lifting. In a short time, I started to notice a difference. I don't do any heavy lifting. I use lighter weights and do lots of reps. And, my arms and legs are now toned.
  • godhorse
    Options
    NVM AGAIN! LOL, Can I be banned from this forum and still use the tools, please?
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Why weights? For me - I hate cardio (unless it's skiing or running outside by a river on a warm day). I want to be strong (weights) and flexible (yoga!).

I'm just starting out, really, but I've already found my posture's better and my lower back isn't as dodgy as it was - I was afraid it would make it worse - I would say it has actually improved my back.

Finally - all the people on MFP with the really. great. bodies. - they do weights. :love:
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    What about Spinning classes? Does the resistance on those bikes count for this to build muscle? I know it's great for cardio but not that into weights either, although I started doing some light weights at home just for the hell of it.