whey protein shakes good or bad for women?

Options
I was wondering I have a big thing of chocolate whey prootein powder from the vitaman world. I usaually add one scoop to fat free milk and a whole banana and blend. It only has 100 cal <2g of carbs and 5 gram of fat (they whey protein that is) I thought this would be a healthy breakfast shake but soomeone told me it can make you bulky? Is this true and should i discontinue my use of the whey protein?

Replies

• katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    protien shakes are not good for women!
  • dudleyvic
    Options
    It's full of sugar and for women that is bad. If you were doing some major weight training 4 days a week then you can burn it off. Of all things to avoid as much as possible it's sugar and fats.

If you are really heavy and going slow with weight loss then it might be an okay option for now until you get your eating down right. If it's a choice between a milkshake for the day and the protein shake then by all means...choose the whey.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    protein is protein and we all need it. problem is, the powders and drinks give you the protein in a way that is instant. instead of getting it from natural foods, where your body processes the food and actually burns calories doing it, you get it like a direct pipeline.

Can it help, yes, is it the best, no.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Dude here. I drink Whey protein AFTER exercise, running typically. It helps with muscle recovery, and the sugar thing just feeds my exercise calories. I wouldn't consider it breakfast food, just recovery fuel. Needs to be consumed shortly after exercise is done.:happy:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

This is completely false. If you are not getting enough protein from your regular diet then protein therefore protein shakes are a great supplement. Shakes will not make you bulky unless you are adding testosterone or steroids, and it puts you over your maintenance calories and you are lifting really heavy weights for few reps with long breaks.

In other words protein is good for everyone but will not bulk you up. Actually when losing weight if you don't get enough protein your body will lose muscle along with fat, so it is important to add strength training and get enough protein to ensure you don't lose lean muscle.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Are you meeting your protein requirements without going over your calories? If you drink a shake right after working out, the sugar is acceptable. Not all sugar is bad.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shake. I just add almond milk to mine. Protein shake alone wont bulk you up. Everyone needs protein, and the protein shake is a good way to get some of your daily requirement.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake after my workouts. I use Pure Protein vanilla and mix it with green tea, greek yogurt and a fruit of some sort (some times a splash of honey or peanut butter instead of the fruit). I've lost 30 pounds and can promise you, I have not bulked up.

L
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I was wondering I have a big thing of chocolate whey prootein powder from the vitaman world. I usaually add one scoop to fat free milk and a whole banana and blend. It only has 100 cal <2g of carbs and 5 gram of fat (they whey protein that is) I thought this would be a healthy breakfast shake but soomeone told me it can make you bulky? Is this true and should i discontinue my use of the whey protein?

it's next to impossible for a woman to get really muscular unless you're taking steroids or something of that nature. I've been doing an hour of intense weight training for almost a year now and drink 1-2 whey protein shakes a day and am not in anyway bulky. I'm thin and trim (not as trim as i'd like to be, but it's slowly getting there) A womans body is different than a mans. Don't worry about it. Feed those muscles so they stay trim, long, and lean!
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options

This is completely false. If you are not getting enough protein from your regular diet then protein therefore protein shakes are a great supplement. Shakes will not make you bulky unless you are adding testosterone or steroids, and it puts you over your maintenance calories and you are lifting really heavy weights for few reps with long breaks.

In other words protein is good for everyone but will not bulk you up. Actually when losing weight if you don't get enough protein your body will lose muscle along with fat, so it is important to add strength training and get enough protein to ensure you don't lose lean muscle.

I couldn't agree more. I hate it when people mis inform others on this site. Don't knock it til you've tried it
  • yojibalinese
    Options
    I don't care for a lot of meat (I'm not a fan of beef and almost never eat poultry either...it's a taste issue, nothing more) and my doctor recommended that to supplement my diet, rather than eating Greek yogurt and beans all the time, is to add some powdered proteins or atkins protein shakes to my diet. It works wonders and now I have enough protein! It's a myth that protein shakes alone can bulk you up...unless you drink a ton of them and then that bulk will all be fat!

I've been making all sorts of shakes and smoothies with my whey protein, including carb smart breyers ice cream, better than peanut butter and fruits! It's delicious and my weight loss has been steady for months.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah I disagree that Protein shakes are bad for women. I mean, holy moly... McDonal's is bad for PEOPLE and we eat it... fast food in general is bad for us and we still eat it... candy and chocolate is bad for us and we still eat it, large amounts of sodium is bad for us and you guessed it, WE STILL EAT IT!.

I'm a girl and one of my biggest issues is snacking. I would happily snack all day (and not necessarily eat the right stuff either) and I don't usually get enough protein (which is burned more efficiently by the body) so these shakes are fabulous after a workout to make me feel satisfied and help my body operate more efficiently. I was actually recommended Iso Whey by my personal trainer and plenty of PT's will tell you the same thing.

There are a mountain of other foods that would be three times as bad for me/you as a protein shake. I guarantee that there are plenty of people on this site who use the shakes the same way.

If you are concerned then purchase an Iso Whey product with no flavoring. That way you can blend it with water and berries and a natural sweetner.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking a protein shake nearly daily after working out for 2 months now. I don't look like a body builder, I've continued to lose weight (in fact it sped up from when I wasn't drinking them), i have more energy, my muscles aren't as sore after a good workout, I'm hitting my protein goal daily where before I was very much under the recommended amount. In short, there are lot of benefits for women to drink a protein shake. I was drinking Designer Whey, now I'm drinking Shakeology. But no matter what it is, it definitely has benefits.
  • vcatmb44
    vcatmb44 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    thanks for everyones input:happy:
  • vcatmb44
    vcatmb44 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    thanks for everyones input:happy:
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options

Um why???? If you're going to make a statement like this maybe you should follow it up with something...anything....

Moving on. The right protein shakes are not full of sugar. There are great powders that help muscle recovery and fills in many nutritional gaps. BSN carries a variety of proteins that have lower or higher carbs with the protein, depending on your goals. Check out a site called www.bodybuilding.com and read more about whey protein. They carry many brands there and also carry BSN like I mentioned.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
  • CindyKMG
    Options
    Thank you all for this information as I was wondering the same thing myself. I feel much better about the whey shakes and will take them after a workout. I really love Quest Protein Bars. I am not a big beef eater, but enjoy chicken, turkey and seafood. Living alone, the bars and shakes are very convenient and yummy too. It's a challenge as a 51 year old to keep in shape, but I'm determined!
  • lissa123456789
    lissa123456789 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I recently read this article (http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/) and was so impressed by how simple and clear it was to understand what I needed to change if I wanted better results. I have been on MFP since July and have only lost 21 lbs. It has been slow and there were weeks when I would go back up a pound or two and was soooo frustrated. It turns out I wasn't even close to eating the right amount of protein so all of my calorie watching was for naught. I have made some changes to my goals which was mainly to increase my protein goal. This morning I had a whey protein shake (Body Fortress - Whey Isolate Vanilla Creme, 2 scoop (35g) 260 2 1 60 190 0) instead of my usual pc/ensure brand and am still full at 11:00 am!!!!! Normally by 10am I have to have a snack to get me through until lunch. I can easily see how this will help keep me under my daily intake and protein is good for you!!! I can't stress how strongly I would recommend reading this article!!!