how long did it take you? (runners)

Options
i do cardio and strength training 1 hour a day 4-5 days a week. i have been runnig for three weeks and still can't run two miles without having to walk. i used to run 1.5 miles 4-5 days a week and then fall came and i got sick so i had to stop. 1 month after beig sick im back to my workouts. I am trraining for a half marathon in June 2014. How long did it take you to be able to run 10-15 miles? how many weeks? any advise? i need it. I feel like 10 miles is a lot and will take me forever to get there!

Replies

• Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I do half marathons and I am a walk runner. Running completely is too hard on my body..and I burn more calories doing walk run intervals.
  • ag27404
    ag27404 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into a program like couch to 5K? I understand you are training for a half but it is better to start small. It took me about 3 months to be able to run 1.5 miles on a treadmill. This included a few weeks being out of the game because I over did it and hurt my knees. Everyone told me running outside would be so much harder but within a few weeks of starting to run outside I was easily running 2-2.5 miles (I had done a lot of cross training so I don't know if this helped) Intervals is probably the best place to start. Don't rush it and listen to your body. Good luck! My first half is in June as well and that excites and terrifies me at the same time.
  • kill3rtofu
    kill3rtofu Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    what is the point where you say 'enough'? Are you winded/tired/in pain?
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I didn't start really running, according to my run logs, until April 8th. Prior to that, I was running only a little as a guilt-thing at the gym before I lifted. I was running like 10-12 minutes, so maybe a mile in that time.
    April 8th- first run outdoors- 2.8 miles in 28m 17s
    my first 10 mile run was July 22nd. in 1hr 28m

my first half marathon distance run was on a whim on Aug. 12th. I went out for a 10 mile long run, and when I got to the intersection 1.2 miles from my house I thought "F#$k it, I'll go left and add a little bit, see how I feel." I ended up running 13.5 miles and the magic barrier of 13.1 was broken.

I've run a few halfs since then. Some races, some not.

The best advice I can give you for increasing mileage is:
    1) don't do your long run on tired legs, get a rest day prior to it.

2) your training pace isn't important for a long run. I'd actually say that 'time on feet' is more important than pace. meaning that at least once when training for a 2-hour race, actually go run for 2 hours. covering 10-11 miles in 2 hours will condition your body better than an extra run of 1 hour at race pace.
  • jaysull21
    Options
    Try running at a slower pace. You'll get there. I couldn't do more than a mile without being winded in May, but by October I ran my first HM.
  • jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half last year! I started from not being able to run AT ALL, and did intervals until I could run for X amount of time. After I got used to running, I kind of concentrated on figuring out my "forever pace"--the pace where I am not really breathing heavy or winded and feel like I could go for quite awhile. It was super slow when I started, and then I just started adding on distance at that forever pace until I got up to a distance I was happy with. When I was in good running shape I'd run for about an hour twice a week, and I'd try to go longer if it was a weekend and I had the time. I'd map it afterward to see how many miles I logged, but I concentrated on time spent running, like the other poster said, not so much on mileage covered. I think the longest I ran before running the half was 11 miles...the adrenaline and excitement of race day will get you through the rest!
  • samco66
    samco66 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

i stop once i feel i can't run any longer. once it gets to hard to breath and sometimes its becuase i have a horrible side ache, which is caused by noth breathing right lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You could probably do more....much of it is mental. Also, slow down....you don't go from 0 - 100 MPH. I've been running for a year and I"m still slow as ****.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options

i stop once i feel i can't run any longer. once it gets to hard to breath and sometimes its becuase i have a horrible side ache, which is caused by noth breathing right lol

Slow down. like, a lot.....

If I have any doubts about my pace I say something out loud (as if I'm talking to someone running next to me) like:
    "This is a pace I could comfortably run at for an hour."
    If I've struggled to say it, or can't say it all in one breath, I know I need to slow down.

Some runs I'll test my pace in this way 5-4 times over the course of long run
  • samco66
    samco66 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Slow down. like, a lot.....

If I have any doubts about my pace I say something out loud (as if I'm talking to someone running next to me) like:
    "This is a pace I could comfortably run at for an hour."
    If I've struggled to say it, or can't say it all in one breath, I know I need to slow down.

Some runs I'll test my pace in this way 5-4 times over the course of long run

thanks! i guess i got a little to excited and Impatient, i will try and slow it down.. I have to keep reminding myself i have over 6 months before the half maraton. thanks! :)
  • adrylong
    Options
    Definitely try to run at a slower pace. I run on a treadmill and get really impatient, and start staring at the miles/time. Instead, I found what was best for me was to cover it with a post-it so I can't get impatient. Instead I just run and listen to a few long songs that I know measure up to the specific mileage I'm going for.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

SLOW DOWN... you are running to hard, hence the side stitches. Slow down, I learned steady breathing by concentrating on the ABCs while I was running, A-B-C-D breath in, E-F-G-H breathe out. sounds funny but it worked for me in the beginning. =)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to be able to run 10-15 miles? how many weeks?

Sounds like it would be worth you using a Half to Finish programme, as that'll give you some structure around your training and help you forecast your time.

I used a Couch to 5K programme, planned for nine weeks to 30 minutes continuous, that actually took me around 12 weeks. I then moved onto a 5K to 10K programme, that's planned for 8 weeks but I've had to step back a couple of weeks to week 4 as I ended up with a mild overuse injury and some diary related disruption.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a year, and I still don't run 10 miles at a time.

At the end of my C25K program (which is 9 weeks), I was able to run the 5 K (3.1 miles) without stopping.
  • EandA85
    EandA85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I also recommend a structured program. I started regularly exercising in April/May, started Couch to 5K in June, ran my 5K in August, and I am currently working toward 10K. My most recent long run was 5 miles. So... about 4-5 months of regular running just to get me to 5 miles.
    But I'm very slow. And started very out of shape.
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    definitely look into a couch to 5 k plan. all you are going to accomplish in three weeks and trying for 2 miles is injuring yourself and getting discouraged. You have many months to work up to it so don't rush it. Slow down and enjoy the journey.
  • foreverloved2005
    Options
    1. Find a running buddy! You will always run better and farther when you're with someone.

2. When you want to stop, DONT, just slow down. A lot of times our bodies feel this "panic" because it's not getting enough oxygen, so slow down, relax your shoulders and open those lungs, slow your breathing down, breath deep and concentrate on calming that heart rate down. Put your hands over your head if you need to. It doesn't matter how fast you go. Just get it done.

3. Pick something up for cross training. When I started running seriously a couple years ago I hit a wall and couldn't get past running 2mi. I took up swimming twice a week for a couple weeks and when I started running again I ran 4mi my first time!

4. You're training your mind as much as your body. Reassure yourself that what your body is feeling is normal, and it's ok, but the brain is boss and yes, you can give a LOT more.

5. Running sucks for the first two weeks. Press through because there's this beautiful thing to look forward to called "runner's high" and it's super addicting.

YOU CAN DO It!
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Sprinting has it's benefits too. That's what I do.
  • lar4290
    lar4290 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I went from not running to being able to run a 10k with the Couch to 10K app. I actually followed it week by week even though the first few weeks felt too easy. I can now do a 10k and have started a 16-week half marathon training plan where the first few weeks have you running 3-6 miles 4x/week and I figure I'll take it from there.

Also, I signed up for some local or semi-local races along the way (5Ks, 5 milers, 10Ks for motivation at different milestones--and I've found them to be a lot of fun and a great way to see a different city).
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Take your time and don't rush. What I used to do was intervals of walking 5 minutes, then running 5 minutes for hour, just repeating this interval. When I felt like I could run 5 minutes pretty comfortably, I'd increase it for another 1-2 minutes and so on until I could run longer. It really is all mental when running which is what I like. Your legs, body and everything else may scream stop but you tell them to keep going. Pick a comfortable pace and take your time. It will get better.