Who would've thought eating enough would be so hard

Options
2»

Replies

• TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Not sure about that. Once you've been weight training your muscles require protein to repair them, this is apparently better to be supplied in consistant meals throughout the day. At least this is what I have always been told (and research also confirms this opinion)

I'm just wondering if people have had good gains from spreading their calories into three decent protein rich meals throughout the day and how important it actually is to supply the muscles with protein every 3 hours or so.

Tell that to the people who do IF ... Seriously, it doesn't really matter ... Unless you have blood sugar issues (hyper/hypoglycemia), you could in theory, eat all of your days calories in one meal ...

ETA: Cottage cheese is AMAZING ... I prefer Friendship brand 4% small curd California style ... 15g protein per serving, tuna is also great ... I never use protein supplements and am ALWAYS way over my protein requirements of 104g per day (I go for 1g per pound of body weight ... )
  • antjoanes
    antjoanes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks Amadbro, that's the sort of answer which is useful to me.

Can anyone point me to the scientific research on the meal frequency that a few of you have mentioned? Or is this all recieved knowledge with no source?
  • antjoanes
    Options
    fat and protein are completely different by the way. I said I'm getting enough fat but that doesn't mean enough protein. EG if you used peanut butter as primary protein source you hit your fat limits in no time!
  • antjoanes
    Options
    Hey Neanderthin, how are you hitting 3000 calories so easily? I'm guessing huge amounts of fat and carbs?

Its easier to get the calories from fat as 1g fat has 9 kcal compared to carbs and protein.

I'm not calling low calorie healthy, I just mean eating whole foods and no processed junk. Its quite difficult to get the 180g protein without all the fats
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Thanks Amadbro, that's the sort of answer which is useful to me.

Can anyone point me to the scientific research on the meal frequency that a few of you have mentioned? Or is this all recieved knowledge with no source?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Do a search for protein consumption in the forums. I think there were links to research .

I do remember reading "something" in the forums about the body being able to actually use a certain amount of protein. I think it was 30g or something like that. I think this might be where meal timing becomes important depending on your goals.
  • antjoanes
    Options
    Not sure about that. Once you've been weight training your muscles require protein to repair them, this is apparently better to be supplied in consistant meals throughout the day. At least this is what I have always been told (and research also confirms this opinion)

I'm just wondering if people have had good gains from spreading their calories into three decent protein rich meals throughout the day and how important it actually is to supply the muscles with protein every 3 hours or so.

Tell that to the people who do IF ... Seriously, it doesn't really matter ... Unless you have blood sugar issues (hyper/hypoglycemia), you could in theory, eat all of your days calories in one meal ...

ETA: Cottage cheese is AMAZING ... I prefer Friendship brand 4% small curd California style ... 15g protein per serving, tuna is also great ... I never use protein supplements and am ALWAYS way over my protein requirements of 104g per day (I go for 1g per pound of body weight ... )

Yes I eat cottage cheese and tuna a lot. I need 180g protein per day. Really good protein sources. Cottage cheese is supposed to be good in the evening as it has whey and casein in it which helps rebuild muscle (correct me if I'm wrong)
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    "omgz eat 8 timez a day! It will make u metabolism liek a boss"

LMAO!!!! My abs hurt. Thank you for that.
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time getting enough protein too.

Meal timing is like religion: People with totally different views believe whole-heartedly that their way is the only way. So, as with religion, you find the one that works for you.

I had a doctor say 3 meals plus 2 snacks. She compared the metabolism to a fire. You get the fire going in the morning and then fan it every few hours so it doesn't go out. Personally, as long as I keep myself from getting ravenously hungry, I'm fine. And if I stay low-carb after lunch, I feel better in the morning.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I wish I ate less protein bars/shakes.
    It is hard for me to get 120-130 grams with my 1500 caloric limit.
    Some days in plan to eat lots of eggs and chicken chicken and tuna.....
    Then go to make eggs for breakfast to find my 3 teenage boys have already inhaled them.
    Sad and hungry, I grab a quest bar and some calming tea.
    Then I go to make chicken salad for lunch because we had 3 left over chicken breast from dinner last night. Well, the 6"5' son had them as a midnight snack. frustrated, I make a protein shake and go vacuum.
    By the time dinner comes round they finished the mayo (still can,t stand tuna without it) and even the frozen pizzas have been eaten by said tall teenage bottomless pit young men. And I ask if They at least left me a Quest bar.

I need my own fridge and freezer in my bedroom.

For the. Record, I do eat plenty of small protein rich meals/snacks. Not to lose weight. Not to build muscle. But because it helps my hypoglycemia to have protein in every meal and snack. Frequently. It,s hard. I wish my body was good with 2 large chicken and salmon meals a day and I'd be done.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    While meal frequency does not affect weight loss, nutrient timing is important for athletes or anyone trying to put on muscle. I recommend the book "The Science of Nutrient Timing" by Dr John Ivy and Dr Robert Portman. They are very big proponents of a 4:1 carb to protein feeding right after lifting or anaerobic cardio. I believe the high carbohydrate content has to do with insulin response helping to improve absorption of the protein into the muscles. They also talk about pre workout nutrition and post-post workout feedings. The rest of your meals should be higher in protein than the 4:1 post-workout, according to Drs Ivy and Portman.

To add protein you could try shakes and supplements, or add legumes and beans to your meals (you did say you could eat more carbs as well.) I am vegetarian and I get a lot of my protein from chickpeas, lentils, and protein shakes. I assume you are not vegetarian, so rather than having these as main protein sources, you could introduce more side dishes with moderate protein?

Vanilla protein powder, cow's or plant milk, and frozen cherries makes a ridiculously good shake, worthy of dessert billing, btw.
    You can add cocoa powder if you are a chocoholic.

Edited to add link:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1591201411/bodybuildersc-20/103-0990892-5334248
  • antjoanes
    Options
    Nice thanks for that makepeas..

Found this article today about meal frequency, even includes links to the studies

http://bonytobeastly.com/muscle-building-myth-5-thinking-you-need-to-eat-every-2-3-hours/

Right I'm off to eat some cottage cheese and a banana!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Its quite difficult to get the 180g protein without all the fats

Usually you can find the big 32 oz containers of nonfat plain greek yogurt. I frequently devour one of these as part of my lunch. We're talking 90+ grams of protein. That'll get you about halfway...
  • antjoanes
    Options
    32oz of Greek yogurt!!!! That's about 750calories dude!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    32oz of Greek yogurt!!!! That's about 750calories dude!

Yes, in all their glory. I need them.

Edit: Not 750 for me. The container I had Wednesday was 520 calories and 92 g protein.
  • antjoanes
    Options
    520 isn't so bad, I'll check out some different brands and find a lower cal version. Good tip, never thought to try it before and its probably quite easy to stomach

Found some research on protein intake for building muscle, checkout the link

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

Seems .8g per 1lbs body weight is adequate