Just started running, could use some encouragement

Options
I used to hate running with passion. I have been running 3 times a week for the past two weeks. I actually enjoy it now. I usually run/walk 1.5 miles.

The past two times my average time has increased. It was 15 minutes per mile and now it is 20 minutes per mile. And I am slightly disappointed that I burn 100 calories in a half hour.

So I just need some encouragement that I won't always be the world's worst runner. And maybe tips, especially running in cold weather,

Replies

• nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Keep going - it gets better and easier! I started running early August - couldn't run 30 seconds without thinking I was going to die! I now run 5km in 32 minutes!

Don't give up!
  • BowieBaby
    BowieBaby Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep it up! I am on week 8 of the Couch 2 5k, and am running 28 minutes without stopping, whereas before I started I was exhausted by 60 seconds! It's amazing how quickly you improve. Just don't push yourself too fast too soon - take it easy and slowly build up. I really recommend following a program like Couch 2 5k - I think it's brilliant.
  • tigerlily886
    tigerlily886 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    One of my goals now is to run a marathon next year. Not a long one, but it would be so amazing to finish it.

I really need to find good headphones that will stay in my ears. Music helps, but my headphones are not over the ears.
  • tigerlily886
    Options
    Definitely keep it up! I am on week 8 of the Couch 2 5k, and am running 28 minutes without stopping, whereas before I started I was exhausted by 60 seconds! It's amazing how quickly you improve. Just don't push yourself too fast too soon - take it easy and slowly build up. I really recommend following a program like Couch 2 5k - I think it's brilliant.

I need to find a good training app. I use runkeeper, but only for keeping time and pace.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    One of my goals now is to run a marathon next year. Not a long one, but it would be so amazing to finish it.

LOL, a marathon is 26.2 miles. They don't make short ones.

Keep running, it does get easier with practice!
  • tigerlily886
    Options

LOL, a marathon is 26.2 miles. They don't make short ones.

Keep running, it does get easier with practice!

Lol, okay any kind of race.
  • keef1972
    keef1972 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, and stick with it. It's like practice. The more you do it, the better you will become.

I just hit 5000km on my nike+ running. Good luck!!
  • AMNimlos
    AMNimlos Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do a race start with a 5K. Accomplishing that will motivate you to keep getting better, and you'll feel good knowing you finished something. I've done 4 5Ks and 1 10K, and I started running last year.

The best headphones are Yurbuds. They make some specially for women, with two different sizes of earbuds so you can figure out which is best for you. You can buy them online.
  • Dawn111567
    Options
    Couch to 5k is a good program to follow and they do have an app that will prompt you when to walk/run.
  • margelizard
    margelizard Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    As others have said, the c25k program is pretty awesome. I restarted it a couple of weeks ago and I am still repeating week 1 but I think next week I am going to have a bash at week 2. What's the worst that could happen?!

In terms of headphones, I really like the earbud type, though I'm not sure what brand I have. I do find that they tend to pop out of my ears when running, so I crocheted myself a wide headband that goes over the ears and it works really well at keeping them in!

A good pair of shoes is really important, and I also found that I had to slow my pace down earlier on in my runs so that I didn't exhaust myself early. Try and keep an even pace on all your jogs. Try to focus on breathing regularly and evenly. I personally like to wear clothes that are a little on the thin side in winter so that I can heat up during the jog. I think that about covers everything I can think of!
  • montauktorr1
    Options
    I just started running a month ago. Just this week I am running, well jogging, 3 miles. I've always hated running but now I think I enjoy it. Keep it up, it gets easier but then you go farther or faster to make it a challenge. Now I just hope to see some results!
  • addean1
    addean1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, stick with it! Dont quit. Slow and steady. speed will come. (at least I hope so, cuz Im not very fast!). I have just taken up running, and am training for a half marathon next summer. I have my first official 5k next weekend. I have done a few 5ks as part of sprint triathlons, but they were mostly walking, after swimming and biking wore me out! I don't have a fancy phone with any of the cool apps, but I bought a gym boss timer, that I can set for intervals, my 8 yr old likes to go running with me if I set it for run 3 minutes, walk 1.
  • tigerlily886
    Options
    I love that the nearby park has a running path. I pretty much have no excuse to not run because it is only a mile away and open until 11 pm.

I think I have some decent running shoes. they are nike new balance. I should ask for running shoes for Christmas because I really want pink ones!
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I, too, used to despise running. I finished the c25k program at the end of September. I found it kind of intimidating to look at the later weeks when I was in the earlier ones, but by the time I got to them, I could handle it!

I'm now training for a half marathon in January (my husband decided he wanted to do one and I'm always up for a challenge :drinker:). I think the best advice I've received so far was to just know that not every run is going to be a good run. Sometimes it really sucks! But I have found that more often it's at least decent and sometimes even really awesome! You can totally do this!
  • AnnaZimm70
    AnnaZimm70 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. When I started I was slow and was completely winded after about 1/2 mile. Two years later I could run 12 miles with hills. I was never fast, but I was strong and felt great. I stopped running for about a year (I really can't recall why other than that I was busy and forgot to make it a priority). Working on getting back on track and planning a 4 mile Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving.

If you do races, don't worry about how everyone else does. Look at your own times and whether or not you are improving.
  • MGreensides
    MGreensides Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, i couldn't run for more then 60 seconds when I started 8mths ago and I've now ran 6 5k races, a 10k race, and training for a half marathon (13.1 miles).
    One of the most amazing things about running is how quickly you improve.
    And a helpful hint, don't buy running shoes because they are pink. Go to a running store or athletic shoe store and have them fit you, for example I love the look of Nike's but can't wear them running because of how my foot lands.
    Best of luck
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    you can do it! some days are worse than others, but it will improve. If you are attempting to go faster each time, slow down your run- you should make a better time.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Cold weather running can be rough. When I was in the police academy we ran outdoors up north when it was sometimes -19F. (the actual cutoff where we weren't allowed outside was -20F lol).

I would recommend adding up some sprints if you can (if there's no ice out). But you don't have to do maximal sprinting. Just increase your speed by an extra 25% or so for a few blocks or quarter mile
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I loosely followed the C25k program back in June. It works! The first part is tough. But what is nice about the program is that you have a plan to follow. Don't worry about speed while doing so. Your body needs to get used to running.

On August 10th, I did my first 5k race and ran it in 32 minutes. Since then, I have done many. My 5k time is now down to 27min 30 seconds.
  • montauktorr1
    Options
    About the shoes... I was using a pair of Nike's when I started but I found them to be uncomfortable. I checked out a pair of Asics that were on sale and turns out they are so much better! Do a little research online, then look for sales or ones that were last years styles. You will find them cheaper and probably in PINK since the bright colors are in! The right kicks do make a difference! :tongue: