QUESTION

13»

Replies

• djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    So the 1618 number.....I eat that whether I exercise or not? I honestly don't think ice been overestimating by that big of a margin but....
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    So the 1618 number.....I eat that whether I exercise or not? I honestly don't think ice been overestimating by that big of a margin but....

You would eat that NET, not gross. That means that is how many calories you would have consumed even after subtracting your exercise calories from your total.

So if you at 1618 calories, then burned 300 calories in exercise, you'd need to eat an additional 300 calories to get back to 1618 net calories.
  • 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member

You would eat that NET, not gross. That means that is how many calories you would have consumed even after subtracting your exercise calories from your total.

So if you at 1618 calories, then burned 300 calories in exercise, you'd need to eat an additional 300 calories to get back to 1618 net calories.

Right. If you want to lose weight even faster, don't report your exercise and eat the 1618. That would put you at an additional 300 cal deficit for the day.

For me, when I set my goal at 0.5 lb/week (250 cal/day deficit, or 1750 cal/week), I lost closer to 1.5 lb/week. Point one - the numbers are estimates. Point two - the hunger I felt was tolerable, and every time I felt hungry, I told myself that was my body burning stored fat for energy. That helped me wait until my next meal. For me, if I am not feeling hungry, regularly, I know I'm eating too many calories to lose fat. If you previous experience with losing fat was similar to mine, listen to your body daily, rather than your scale.

And being the numbers are estimates and vary widely, if you are not losing weight on a weekly basis over a month or more, cut more calories. Eating less always works.
  • MellMo1971
    MellMo1971 Posts: 22 Member
    I agree. Four pounds of weight could be anything...water weight, sodium, muscle gain, etc. I doubt 4 pounds of food was ingested in a few hours and showed up on the scale. I don't think bullying people about scale weight fluctuations is beneficial to anyone. My trainer said using the scale to track progress is like looking at a large photo of a landscape through a pin prick. Inches and the way you clothes fit; those are the things that need tracked consistently.
  • vinny76063
    vinny76063 Posts: 133 Member
    You will always weigh less 1st thing in the morning. Dnt worry bout just try to watch diet better
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member

Right. If you want to lose weight even faster, don't report your exercise and eat the 1618. That would put you at an additional 300 cal deficit for the day.

So sorry for the confusion! I already factored your exercising 4x a week into the equation so you would NOT eat it back in. I concur with the person above - manually enter 1,618 into MFP and eat as close to that as you can. Here's how I do it personally: I log all my food in for the day and just before bed, I enter in my exercise just for kicks, just to see it and prove that I did it. But I don't eat the calories it tells me I "get" now that I exercised. I just leave it alone. The math has already been done, so all you need to know is eat 1,618 a day and exercise 4x a week, simple as that. :)

Oh! And when you hit the next 10-lb loss, recalculate your TDEE - you'll need less calories a day the smaller you get. :) That gets a little tough but thankfully if you do it in 10-lb increments it's not a big adjustment all at once.

If you are still confused let us know.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Oh my goodness - I have to learn how to drive this internet thing.

My reply shouldn't have been quoted. Here it is:

So sorry for the confusion! I already factored your exercising 4x a week into the equation so you would NOT eat it back in. I concur with the person above - manually enter 1,618 into MFP and eat as close to that as you can. Here's how I do it personally: I log all my food in for the day and just before bed, I enter in my exercise just for kicks, just to see it and prove that I did it. But I don't eat the calories it tells me I "get" now that I exercised. I just leave it alone. The math has already been done, so all you need to know is eat 1,618 a day and exercise 4x a week, simple as that. :)

Oh! And when you hit the next 10-lb loss, recalculate your TDEE - you'll need less calories a day the smaller you get. :) That gets a little tough but thankfully if you do it in 10-lb increments it's not a big adjustment all at once.

If you are still confused let us know.
  • stanggal05
    stanggal05 Posts: 5 Member
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    I think she's probably got the picture now that the 4 lbs is nothing to worry about.

Let's dig deeper! djwife.... why aren't you losing weight? Let's figure it out. It's not a mystery - there is ALWAYS a reason... We just need you to dig deep and be honest with yourself and tell us what's going on.

You are slightly terrifying.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    It's a common misconception that calorie "math" is something exact. Every time you see someone writing number to tenth or hundredth precision you can pretty much round off. Nor is TDEE a constant, so any calculations of calories needed over a period of time are usually off.

If you see 1416 translate to 1350-1500.... Etc.
  • StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    Do you use a heart rate monitor?
    I don,t. But hear they help with accuracy of exercise calories. Everywhere I read here says that MFP gives highly exaggerated calorie burns. Maybe log 1/2-2/3 of your workout and not the whole thing for a more accurate calorie burn?

If you don't use an HRM that would be the first place to start in the exercise side of it. It changed my perspective immediately. Do you workout with weights? The HRM spikes so fast when you workout with heavier weights. I'm sorry I can't help you on the food side because it is a mystery to me. If I stick to around 1700 cals then the weight comes off consistently for me. My workouts are about 10 calories a minute.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Do you use a heart rate monitor?
    I don,t. But hear they help with accuracy of exercise calories. Everywhere I read here says that MFP gives highly exaggerated calorie burns. Maybe log 1/2-2/3 of your workout and not the whole thing for a more accurate calorie burn?

If you don't use an HRM that would be the first place to start in the exercise side of it. It changed my perspective immediately. Do you workout with weights? The HRM spikes so fast when you workout with heavier weights. I'm sorry I can't help you on the food side because it is a mystery to me. If I stick to around 1700 cals then the weight comes off consistently for me. My workouts are about 10 calories a minute.

HRM are next to useless with respect to weight lifting, only use them for steady state workouts.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    I have gained 10lbs in the last year. I actually did better with my weight when I ate worse! Since I have been eating better, I've gained! Someone asked for my stats. I am 39, 5'11, and weigh 168(on a good day).

Part of the problem may be that at 5'11 your healthy weight range is something like 135-176. Have you considered setting your account to lose .5 lb a week, weigh your food, and get back to logging consistently? Or switching it up and concentrating on body composition with lifting?

I've still got quite a way to go, but I've always heard that when one is at a healthy weight losing becomes harder.
  • dockholiday8234
    dockholiday8234 Posts: 43 Member
    Only weigh yourself every Sunday morning. At most.