Heart rate monitor watches

Options
Hi! I had a POlar HRM watch that stopped working, won't pickup my heart rate. I tried a new strap battery, and nothing worked. So, for Christmas I may get a new one. What kind do you like?? I want one that isn't too pricey, reliable and user friendly. I did like the Polar but I'm very annoyed it stopped working after less than a year.
Thanks!

Replies

• jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 is generally the most popular. I love mine.
  • heathy84
    heathy84 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would call the company. A lot of times if it is their fault they might send a new one to you
  • kayla1025
    kayla1025 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yes I love my polar... it stopped working after a few months and I emailed the customer service and they asked a few questions and sent a replacement transmiter..that straps to the band and it worked after that... the customer service is really great!! Def call, doesnt hurt to try to get a replacement :)
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I've only had good success when using the conductive gel on the chest strap to get a good consistent heart rate. If you've never used the gel and you're not getting a good signal to the watch, your body may have changed so that it's not conducting as well for some reason. If that's the problem, then almost any brand would have similar issues. If you can get a good signal while holding the strap firmly in place or by wetting it to make a better contact, then the gel is what you need. It's similar to KY, so it washes off easy enough and doesn't stain or harm your clothes.
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help!
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I bought my second polar a few weeks ago now and personally wouldn't use any other brand. I have an FT4. The first one was also an FT4 though I had a rest from using it (during pregnancy) and misplaced the strap.. the watch battery also went dead and I figured I would be better off just buying a new one (only $85 online)... I paid $250 for my first one when it first came out.
  • Pang29pang
    Pang29pang Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am also looking for a good one...i am buying one tomorrow and have been doing some research and found that alot of people do recommend this polar ft4...im going get that for my heart rate monitor to gauge my calorie loss during exercise and then get the fit bit activity monitor for my everyday activity...good luck
  • mrloserpunk
    mrloserpunk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've got a ft4 as well. Although if accuracy is you goal, you may want to look at the advanced models. Something that allows you to add you vo2 maxx rate. Maybe a bit pricey but that's my next HRM computer. :-) there are a few threads about it here.