• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I have:

exercise ball~Walmart I think it's around $15 to $20
    mat~Walmart~$10 to $15
    jump rope~Walmart~$5 to $10
    adjustable weight bench, $49.99 (Walmart online) Gold's gym
    barbell w/weight plates, around $40 at Sports Authority (ETA-just the barbell)
    dumbbells~ (Walmart and other types of sports equipment stores, $5-$100, the heavier they are the more expensive they are, this also includes weight plates).
    Ankle weights~20 pds each, Walmart online, $19.99 a pair
    Next thing I would like to get is a squat rack, they run $100 or more.

Hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If I were to build a home gym and had the money, I'd invest in a JONES rack. Unlike a Smith machine, it's tracks move not only vertically, but later horizontally as well thereby following the natural motion of someones movement along with the safety of racking hooks.jones_zps2de0a93c.jpg

** hijack **

Have you ever used one? We had something very similar from Hoist (both vertical and horizontal slides), but it never worked as well in reality as it seemed like it should have in concept. Just wondering if different brands/models do work well.

I can tell just by looking at the design that it won't work as well in reality.
  • karijoeide
    Options
    Thank you for all your suggestions and feedback I appreciate it!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    - a squat rack/cage
    - a flat bench
    - barbell and plates
    - a pull-up bar

This would be my list, and in most cases a decent power rack will include a pull-up bar as part of the frame. I got mine on amazon for about $300, and you can get a flat bench on Craigslist for about $20 and an olympic weight set on Craigslist for a couple hundred usually.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I am definitely asking for a kettle bell and a HRM for Christmas. lol, I believe that last year I just asked family members to all give me shoes.
  • Angel03744
    Angel03744 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have...
    "Dynamics Treadmill" - £600
    "Dynamics Exercise Bike - £169
    "Confidence Kettle bell 4 piece set" - £29.99
    "York Women's Dumb bells " - £19.99
    " ActivRoma HT Mountain Bike" - £369
    Various other bits Like Yoga Ball, Tension bands,

Did have a Carl Lewis Row machine and York fitness x730 cross trainer < but changed to treadmill and X bike >

It does not really matter what you have, how much they cost as long as you actually use them!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    You can do a LOT with a good set of dumbells and a pullup bar.

The pullup bar will cost you $20 new, and the dumbells you can get on Craigslist for a fraction of what you'd pay new.

On a limited budget, definitely the above. Get enough plates for the DBs and it'll keep you going for a while. You can squeeze 6x10kg plates on a DB. Use two for Bulgarian squats and destroy your legs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    If I were to build a home gym and had the money, I'd invest in a JONES rack. Unlike a Smith machine, it's tracks move not only vertically, but later horizontally as well thereby following the natural motion of someones movement along with the safety of racking hooks.jones_zps2de0a93c.jpg

** hijack **

Have you ever used one? We had something very similar from Hoist (both vertical and horizontal slides), but it never worked as well in reality as it seemed like it should have in concept. Just wondering if different brands/models do work well.
    When I worked in VA, they had a Hammer Strength one and an actual Jones one at GMU. Both worked fine, however one of them stated that highest load could only be 500lbs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I don't have one "MUST" but some favorites/stand-bys over the years:

* Fitbit
    * Kettlebells
    * Jumpsport rebounder
    * Treadmill
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Pull-up bar
    Yoga mat
    My own body

also:

good teachers
    motivation
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You have to pitch the equipment to the person.

If you're a road warrior, or on a limited budget, or have limited space, you could go a long way with:

a decent weight kettlebell (or two)
    a doorway chin up bar

If you're talking beyond barebones basics and you have the cash and room, then:

Power rack
    Bench
    oly bar + weights

would be more than sufficient. (I'd still have the kettlebells/chin up bar too)
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Love this! It's quite motivating seeing everyone's equipment.
    My spare room is practically clear ready for winter. In it is:

Exercise bike
    yoga matt
    A selective of Jillian Michaels/ Yoga DVDs
    Barbell/ plates (started a basic 5x5 lift program at home)
    Dumbbells
    Place for my laptop to view DVDs/ get a good play list on
    My most motivating thing is my Polar heart rate monitor- seeing the burn makes me work harder.
    If the weather gets too bad I may consider a tread mill- but I'm hoping that there should be at least 2-3 days a week I can get out!!
    Little extras are callipers and tape measure, and kettle bell is on my Christmas list.
  • Loser_Girly
    Loser_Girly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank You, this topic was very helpful! :)