Army Ready?? Soo not.. :(

Options

Replies

• soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Coming from someone who doesnt have to live by those standards I guess thats an easy side to take.

Did you miss the bit about being military, after 23 years with command responsibilities at various levels I'm comfortable with the idea of actually fulfilling command responsibilities.

COC was not the concern, and yes I read that you were military. You said: "If you pass the standards then you pass, regardless of your size, and it doesnt sound like there is anything wrong with what you described". That is what I was refering to in your post, as the standards are much different here in the US, so its easy to say there is nothing wrong with it, when you dont have to live by it. I was merly giving the above user a synopsis of the change since he asked for it. But rather than list out the reasons of why this has been an issue for many, I will leave it with the fact that the OP is trying to get fit for the US military and I was trying to give her an idea of what she is in for, so she makes the right decision for herself.
  • JimHM
    JimHM Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info on the US. Its really interesting to learn, I had no clue of the changes, It does seem a bit harsh to me though. (I am a civvie now after all) :-)

The unit that I was in prety much left us incharge of our own fitness at troop level but we had no real regular tests, everyone had to pass "p coy" to get there and the mentality to push yourself just got better, the longer that you stayed with the sqn

The moment that you cant do your job because of your fitness level, you have a problem and you get kicked out of the squadron so I suppose its the same thing

I got out of the army about 6 years ago and only spent time in the squadron so Im out of touch with what goes on now.

Someone mentioned earlier that "If you only aim for the minimum requirments, you will find it hard", this certanly seems like good advice in light of the new rules rather than getting in and living in fear of losing your job.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    That is what I was refering to in your post, as the standards are much different here in the US, so its easy to say there is nothing wrong with it, when you dont have to live by it.

Ok, understand what you mean now. My observations were around how CoC is managing the issue, but then I've come from an environment where BFT opportunities were held weekly and the officers were expected to attend, and pass well, every week.

Fwiw if the originator works on hitting the test performance standards she should find the measurements coming down anyway. Fwiw as far as training approach is concerned I know that TRADOC have been taking lessons from the modernisation of Brit and Aussi training over the last five years. Similarly USMC, USN and USAF have done the same.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    That is what I was refering to in your post, as the standards are much different here in the US, so its easy to say there is nothing wrong with it, when you dont have to live by it.

Ok, understand what you mean now. My observations were around how CoC is managing the issue, but then I've come from an environment where BFT opportunities were held weekly and the officers were expected to attend, and pass well, every week.

Fwiw if the originator works on hitting the test performance standards she should find the measurements coming down anyway. Fwiw as far as training approach is concerned I know that TRADOC have been taking lessons from the modernisation of Brit and Aussi training over the last five years. Similarly USMC, USN and USAF have done the same.

I agree with you
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the 5:2 lifestyle? Sure works for me. You can do it.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Oh also I was told that you shouldn't go over 45 mins when exercising.. Is this true??

Yes, that's correct. That's why, in war, there are always recess breaks every 45 minutes.

Bottom line - you're eating too much. If it were me, I'd start logging all food intake, diligently, as the first step.

Love the humor here! :-) If it was me, I'd try the 5:2 lifestyle. Cut out all junk, lower the carbs, and yes logging for a few days will let you know where you are as far as calories.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Instead of trying to eat less, know exactly what you eat. And be sure you're in a calorie deficit.
  • ms_leanne
    Options
    ^^^^ THIS

If you are logging everything correctly staying under 1200 is a no-no!

I would personally look at Eat More to Weigh Less as you will need the extra calories if you're going to intensify your workouts.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'd stop walking at an incline and start running like you'll run in Basic Training. I'd also get the 100 push-ups app and start doing as many push-ups as humanly possible. I would imagine that those are the two things that people struggle the most with in Basic Training. I would also start lifting weights to build your general strength and preserve your lean muscle mass. Do a lot of HIIT for general fitness.

Start accurately logging every bite you eat. Make healthy foods a priority and try to limit processed crap and alcohol (although you don't have to eliminate it entirely if you are able to meet your macros).

Develop a tough, disciplined mindset and attack your goals like they matter.

As far as 45 minutes, sometimes I do 2-a-day workouts, with running in the mornings and lifting in the afternoons, and sometimes I do 90 minute workouts, and I'm not training for anything in particular. I have plenty of strength and lean mass. I'm pretty sure that you'll do much more than 45 minute workouts during Basic Training and you'll finish with plenty of lean mass and a lot of fat loss.

If you want to become good at something (running, push-ups, general fitness), you should do that thing as much as possible. If you get fit and strong, along with eating healthy, the fat loss will come.
  • jasmynnlee
    Options
    Wow. Everyone has so many good tips.. I will stop running at an incline and also I will start going outside and exercising more often. In regards to the weights I have started to do free weight training and I will start doing the lat pull downs.
    Also I have been working on my sit ups since I knw you have o do so many under 2 mins. I will start on the push-ups as well.

IDK about the calorie intake tho. I normally eat 2000 calories a day but once I exercise my net calories equal out to about 800 - 1200 a day. Is that okay?? I try to make sure I have as big of a deceit as possible.. Also I do log every little thing that I put into my mouth except for my water.. I go through about 1 case of water every 2 to 3 days.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    My unit was at a very high fitness level so I guess I missed that. I do know that they had “remedial” PT for normal units though but I never heard of people getting discharged for being overweight.

Well, the reality is that someone in bad shape or seriously overweight is going to have a hell of a hard time humping a rucksack over 20 miles.

In the US, there was an outfit called "FTU" - Fitness Training Unit - that was a holding pen for people who couldn't even meet the requirements to get *into* Basic Training. If you couldn't march for an hour or knock out a dozen so-so pushups, that's where they'd put you for a week or two. FTU's nickname was, the Army being the Army, "Fat, Tired and Useless".
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    IDK about the calorie intake tho. I normally eat 2000 calories a day but once I exercise my net calories equal out to about 800 - 1200 a day. Is that okay??

Make sure you get enough protein, and netting 1000 a day or so will be ok. At least until you draw down your fat stores.

Your body will tell you if something is wrong - the daily run will become ridiculously hard if you are under-fueling.
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I will never qualify, but I looked into the pt standards out of curiosity and am thinking about following some of the guidelines to mix things up and help me lose some weight, get fitter, and possibly qualify for the reserves -- I'm looking for a new job and found several that I could excel at but you have to be in the reserves. In the process I found (it took a little doing) the guidelines for the PT Tests, which included 2 miles, push ups and sit ups. I also found something called the Army Pocket Physical Training Guide that had workout plans and schedules to help you get where you need to be. You might search for it online -- I could only find it online in a PDF version.
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    Which is untrue and has been debunked by most credible sources. You can if you want; but you probably don't need to as a novice trainee. I would do Starting Strength w/ pushup, chinup and situps 3 days a week with running/walking the other 3-4 days with solid liear progression (since your a female add 5lbs to the bar once every 2 weeks; additionally, since we are wanting performance as well; no 1200 calorie crash diets; find your TDEE with the exercise and consume 20% below that or about a 500 calorie deficit; you should be losing about a pound a week, if you log EVERYTHING; not down to the calorie f course but at least 95% accurate. If you want anymore than that, then you should've started earlier. You want to FUEL YOURSELF NOT STARVE. Remember; weight training will add muscle mass as a novice, even in a moderate deficit; so you'll be losing fat faster than you see on the scale. Remember, getting in shape is a marathon; not a sprint; but you should make good progress off of this because it's already been done and it works. BTW, I'm actually in ROTC at a university and have my next PT test wednesday... Looking to hit sub 14min on the run, 67+ pushups and 64-70 sit ups. I'm also majoring in Sports Science... Those are my credentials.

HOOAH!!!!
  • PositiveBody
    PositiveBody Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When I joined the Army years ago, I had to lose about 20 lbs...here is my advice if you want this bad enough.

1) For as long as it takes, don't eat out if at all possible. It's hard to add up calories that come in various forms in restaurants.
    2) Get yourself around like minded people who exercise daily.
    3) Anyone not supportive of your efforts, don't let them into your world of success
    4) Log every morsal that enters your body
    5) Strength training and cardio will help tremendously
    6) If you have life stressors at the moment, try to get them to a minimum
    7) Stay absolutely focused on your goal.....

Good Luck!
  • mikej1978
    mikej1978 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Here is something to think about..and please don't take it the wrong way.

You are a 22 y/o female almost 200 pounds on a 5'5 frame. Big boobs (as you stated) or not that is still alot of weight.

You are looking to lose 40 pounds and inches just to meet the minimum for the Army standards. Unless you put a 150% effort into a life style change if you do lose this weight an inches by "dieting" you will be struggling to maintain weight and stay in shape for your whole enlistment.

The military is not for everybody that is part reason why only 1% of the population serve.
  • mama000
    mama000 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Army or not, it is calories in... calories out. I found for myself that I might forget to count the "small amount of oil" I used to cook, or the mayo on a sandwich. Once I was confronted to measure and weigh all foods and count them before I ate them, things really changed. Honesty is key. I had to get honest with myself. I exercise a minimum of an hour a day. MFP takes that into account.
    Good Luck. Stay strong.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Delete.
  • blankney94
    Options
    I'm ex-military myself (from New Zealand). I did the hard yards before the recruit course, turned up and found it not too hard. There were other girls who were unprepared and they found it hard, like soul destroying hard. Also in the military world, you need to be on time for everything. If you are late back from a run - guess what happens - you are late for your next class. Then you get more negative attention.

Best to turn up fit and in shape, and it will be a much better and positive experience for you. A previous poster is correct in saying that you will be required to maintain fitness too after the recruit course. In our case, we were fitness tested every 6-12 months.

All the best for your future!
  • jasmynnlee
    Options
    I hear what you are saying and I totally agree.. I recently gained all of this weight this past year nd a half believe it or not.. I have always been between 135 - 145 lbs. I have had a very stressful time with losing both of my grandmothers and an uncle and my job in such a short period of time. Not this is not an excuse just telling what happened and how i got to where I am.. I found solace in eating the taste made me feel better. And one day I looked in the mirror and was just like WTF!! I couldn't believe that I let myself get that big. I have since found a job and I have cut down on my food intake significantly but I still waver between 190 - 200 lbs.. I am pretty much completely sedentary in my everyday life except for when I go to the gym. I drive to work and I sit on my but all day once I get there. I also live with my parents as I just started working again and want to save up a decent amount of money before I move out on my own..

But as I said none of this is an excuse if anything this is my motivation.. I refuse to ever go down that road again.. I handled that extremely poorly..
    Here is something to think about..and please don't take it the wrong way.

You are a 22 y/o female almost 200 pounds on a 5'5 frame. Big boobs (as you stated) or not that is still alot of weight.

You are looking to lose 40 pounds and inches just to meet the minimum for the Army standards. Unless you put a 150% effort into a life style change if you do lose this weight an inches by "dieting" you will be struggling to maintain weight and stay in shape for your whole enlistment.

The military is not for everybody that is part reason why only 1% of the population serve.