FITBIT OR HRM

Options
2»

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Depends what you want them for. If you want to monitor daily activity (including non exercise) a fitbit. If you just want to monitor your exercise and need a training tool a HRM. Different tools for different jobs your really comparing apples with oranges
  • Racquel1
    Racquel1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i love my fitbit flex!! :)

Always looks for friends on there and here so please feel free to add me.

www.fitbit.com/user/26R2ZC
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I have had a fitbit one for nine months now. I have only forgotten it once and felt lost without it.
    All I really want it for is motivation to move more, and for that it is excellent! I do love it.
    It is not accurate for logging steps when I use the elliptical at the gym (which I do everyday M-F), but I am ok with that. I just need the motivation to move more and I certainly get that.
    I know I am getting my heart rate up when I use the elliptical (you can get the stats on the machine) for an hour 5 days per week. I am not that interested in the numbers, so for me an HRM is not necessary. I just want the motivation and the fitbit one works for me.
  • sheltony
    sheltony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I've been looking into the fitbit vs. up vs. other wrist worn calculators/measurement tools. It's wonderful to have all your perspectives on them! Still don't know what I'll end up with, but Christmas is the season of asking...
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I have both.

I use the Fitbit to get a general idea of my activity level during the day.. I'm not as obsessive about getting to the 10K steps as I probably should be, but it does give me an idea. So if I find myself getting lazy and don't want to go to the gym and I've reached 8K steps then I can be lazy. But if I've only done 3K step then I'd better get my butt to the gym. I don't keep track of calories burned with the Fitbit.

I use the HRM to keep track of the calories I've burned during intentional workouts.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    For older products, the Body Media Fit from my own personal research is what I would go with (when compared to Jawbone, Fitbit, etc.). I personally did not purchase a BMF due to the subscription fees though. I am considering purchasing a Polar Loop.

Polar has come out with their own tracking device that can incorporate both normal daily activity and exercise (e.g. it is a combo of a daily tracking device and a HRM). It is the first to try and combine these two aspects. It is also waterPROOF (so you can wear it while swimming, etc.), which no other devices are. Since it is new, I have not been able to locate much data about it though.

http://www.polarloop.com/us-en/

Here is a discussion about it on MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1128827-polar-loop-reviews-to-buy-or-not

NOTE: I do already own a Polar FT7 and it is AWESOME. However, it is a HRM only and not an "activity tracker." I love my Polar products and would feel comfortable purchasing another.

Edited to Add: HRMs are for tracking steady state cardio only. It is important to note that HRMs are not accurate for weight lifting and will not give you an accurate burn. They are also not meant for HIIT. Temperature extremes and daily burn tracking (e.g. I wear it all day to find out what I should be taking in) are also inaccurate. HRMs are for steady state aerobic exercise only! Hence why the Loop seems so great!

This is a helpful blog post for understanding HRMs:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I did more research on the Polar Loop and I was disappointed with the results. There is no good way for it to even try to estimate strength training burns, since it purely relies on the motion and HRM functions (both are inaccurate for lifting). Plus, it is having TONS of Beta issues (I think they released it too early). Not saying it won't turn out to be a good device, but I would definitely stay away for now. That is JMO.

I am again considering the BMF and I think I will purchase it. It seems to be quite accurate and there has been enough data gathered by users to make me feel comfortable with how it performs. I can use my Polar FT7 to substitute in for workouts the BMF cannot track accurately (e.g. cycling, etc.).
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    My vote goes for both!

My Fitbit is on me at all times (even when I'm wearing the HRM). It tracks all of my activities, and I especially appreciate the sleep tracking, as rest is so important to overall health. Every now and then when I am relocating it to a new item of clothing, it flashes a personalised message with "Hug Me" or other stuff... yeah, corny, but it makes me smile. When I don't get my 10,000 steps, I find something to do until I get them!

The HRM is very important to me since the MFP calorie expenditure estimates are often three times higher than what I actually am burning. If I followed those estimates to determine what to eat, I'd be over on many days and would likely gain weight when my goal is to move in the opposite direction on the scale. With the HRM (I have a Polar Fit FT4), I know exactly what my burn is for any extended cardio activity...no estimate needed since it is measuring my own heart rate.

Am thinking of getting my mom one or the other for Christmas, and am leaning toward the Fitbit, since it does the daytime activity and sleep. If Fitbits were just a bit less expensive, I'd be giving them to everyone in my family for the holidays!
  • emilykatherine19
    Options
    I just purchased a fitbit flex and currently use MFP to track food intake and workouts. Is it necessary to log my cardio and also strength training in the MFP app? Or only log strength training? I am trying to figure out the best way to let fitbit track calories burned even though I am assuming it doesn't track strength training.
  • clombardo7968
    Options
    I just got the Pola RS300X and really like it. I use it with FitBit on myfitnesspal.com and it makes it so easy to keep tract of everything in one place. I was going to ask if I put it on for a full day would it tell me my calorie burn for that day, but I see you already answered that. Thank you.:smile: