Incredible Colorized Historical Photos

Breathtaking. Please cut and paste. It's worth it.

http://imgur.com/a/YiOLx

YiOLx

Replies

• heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    That's really cool. I'm a history nerd, this stuff speaks to me. I wish they had the originals next to them though.
  • Me too Val. It's probably hard for some peeps to imagine us as nerds. lol

Some of the photos do have the originals.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    This is amazing. You rock!

Edit to add: of all the people I have met, I have never met someone who colorizes old photos, wish I knew who the artist was!
  • Loved it!
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Those are great, although in most cases I don't think the colorization adds much. The exceptions being "World's Highest Standard of Living, in which the racial barrier is made crystal clear, and Thich Quang Duc, in which the viciousness of the flames is far more pronounced. At least to me.
  • My pleasure. =)
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Okay this is pretty cool. For some reason I really like the colorized picture of Walt Whitman. I can see this being really useful for kids/teens. It seems like when you show a teenager a picture in black and white it is so far removed from anything they normally associate with life. The colorization makes it feel more modern. Like these people and events actually exist or should/could exist in their time.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    The kid with the stuffed animal, Bikini Atoll, and Mark Twain really stood out to me.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    I've seen a few of these, but that is a great collection of them.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Thanks for that!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    These are great!
  • kzivic
    kzivic Posts: 326 Member
    Love this! I'm a history nerd too, the V-J day photo is one of my favorite iconic moments in history. That one photo tells such a great story.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Wow, that's amazing. Thanks for sharing!
  • Love this! I'm a history nerd too, the V-J day photo is one of my favorite iconic moments in history. That one photo tells such a great story.

whenever I see that one, I figure the moment the photog snapped the pic, he knew he got it.

This one gives me chills:

View from Capitol in Nashville, Tennessee During the Civil War, 1864
  • UnitedBoy83
    UnitedBoy83 Posts: 888 Member
    They look fantastic!!!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Love this! I'm a history nerd too, the V-J day photo is one of my favorite iconic moments in history. That one photo tells such a great story.

whenever I see that one, I figure the moment the photog snapped the pic, he knew he got it.

This one gives me chills:

View from Capitol in Nashville, Tennessee During the Civil War, 1864

Just finishing a book recounting the Civil War.
    Hard to imagine what that life was like.