Am I Crazy?

Options
I know, asking for it.....

Here's my thinking, I'm within 20lbs of goal weight and have lost a little over 1lb per week for the last four months. My plan is to just set my daily calorie goal at the maintenance level for the weight I WANT to be based on TDEE which seems to be the system that works best for my calculations.

My thinking is that this way, switching to maintenance once I hit goal weight will be a non issue since I'll have been "at maintenance" the entire time.

I do realize that this will cause my weight loss to slow as I get closer and closer to goal since my calorie deficit will be getting smaller and smaller, but is there anything else I'm missing?

Can anybody think of a reason that this wouldn't work? Not an expert here, so while this makes perfect sense in my head I'm just concerned there's an important factor out there somewhere that would mess this up.

Replies

• dawnwritesnow
    dawnwritesnow Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It would work. It would be slow. But it's actually a healthy attitude for a healthy body. The key, is to make sure you hit those calories. Add in exercise for fitness and count them all bonuses. I did come across this in a website somewhere but don't have a link or I would link it for you.
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    That's a very small deficit but if you've got plenty of time and patience..
    Also, it's easy to use up the deficit accidentally.
    I'm at goal but wouldn't mind losing 5 more so have been creeping up to maintance, very conscious that it will take a long time. Probably 0.25 lbs a week.
    Why don't you halve the difference and see how it goes?
    Good luck.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    fat2fit actually promotes this way of getting to goal weight: just eat the way you would once you're skinnier.

So go for it!
    You could still eat about 100-200 under your new goal and slowly work your way up. Just remember not to eat back exercise calories
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I've probably been eating at close to this calorie level for the past couple of weeks (2345), I've been a couple hundred over on some days and a couple hundred under on others for the last few weeks, and so far I haven't noticed a slow down in my weight loss. It can be really hard to tell because I'll go a couple weeks of not losing anything and then drop two pounds a week for a couple weeks, but I seem to be keeping a pretty steady pace.

I'm ok with my weight loss pace slowing down as I get closer to goal. I'm much more in the eat and be happy camp than the starve and be grumpy camp.

My work outs are pretty intense as well and I'm combining heavy lifting 3x a week and cardio with wind sprints 3x a week so I really DON'T want to under eat too much at this point.

Like I said, makes sense to me, but wanted to make sure I wasn't delusional.

Thanks for the info!