Is anyone on the Paleo Diet?

Options
I'm just researching some diets and came acrossed this one called the Paleo diet if you are on it or have tried it please tell me about it thanks so much.

Replies

• MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've heard of the Paleolithic diet before, and I found it rather intriguing. It takes us back to our true roots. I posted a thread on another food diary website that I am a member of and never got any responses from anyone.

I read up about it and this diet mostly inspired me to steer clear of processed foods. Often I will eat a meal of lean protein and veggies. Snacks are mostly fruits and nuts. I'm not on the diet, but the idea of it helps me with what I am doing.
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My brother is on a Paleo version. He has dropped weight like crazy! But, his Dr is concerned because it went so fast.

His diet really doesn't consist of much at all. He pretty much lives on grilled (plain) chicken breast, white sweet potatoes, avocado, eggs and nuts. Once in a while he will treat himself to a Buffalo steak (very lean) or a salad. He will NOT eat any white starches like white potatoes or white rice. He doesn't eat grains....no brown rice, wheat, barley (other than a beer very seldomly). He will eat veggies because the doctor said he has to, but he doesn't eat fruit or drink juices because they are considered post-industrial. The only "processed" food he will eat on a regular basis is almond butter. He uses it as a major protein and energy pack. He does not eat bread or pasta of any kind. And he does not consume dairy of any kind. He also avoids inflammatory foods such as salt, onions and peppers.

Granted, I believe he is taking his diet to an extreme, and not solely following the Paleo guidelines. But I have read about it and though it sounds very interesting...I would imagine it to be very difficult!

I'm curious to see what other responses you get on this. Good luck! =0)
  • ecgravatt
    ecgravatt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    For the record, almond butter (and peanut butter for that matter) is not processed IF you stick with natural almond/peanut/nut butters. The ingredient list should just be ground nuts and maybe salt.

Nut butters become processed when highly processed oils and sugars are added to increase shelf life and help keep the peanuts and its natural oil from separating. Many brands of peanut butter have ingredient lists that include high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils, fractionated oils, and all kinds of *kitten* you dont want to put in your body.

Another note, if you are going to buy natural peanut butter (you should because it is DELICIOUS) it will need to be refrigerated or the peanut oil that separates from the paste can go rancid.
  • sweetscorpio17
    sweetscorpio17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had a friend on this diet. She was able to last 2 months. I have read articles about this diet. I do not agree with it at all. When my friend was on the diet, she looked as if she was gaining weight. She was so focussed on eating chicken and lettuce that she at 5x as much chicken in one sitting as anyone should.

I think we all saw a few years back that fad diets do not work. All those no carb diets did help with initial weightloss but it does not stay off.

Also for women, dairy is crucial to have in our diets. In a Paleo diet, you cut out all dairy and grain.

The one thing I do agree with from this diet is that it incorporates lean varieties of meat and a lot of fruits and veggies. (Although, Paleo does exclude certain kinds for reasons I do not agree with either.)

I recommend looking into it in depth and evaluating the reasons that they have for cutting out valuable food groups. If you do chose to go with this diet I would make sure that you are replacing the nutrients you would typically find in dairy and grains.

I still think the best way to go is to eat a balanced diet- That way, it's not a diet, its a lifestyle change!!!!!!
  • cdsledge09
    cdsledge09 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have joined a CrossFit gym and a number of the other members are on the Paleo diet. They swear by it. Many of them are very fit and super active. I have decied that I am not nearly as dedicated to being healthy, as they are. The few articles that I've read suggest that the Paleo diet can be adapted (like anything I guess) but that it is best followed as prescribed. It calls for you to remove all processed foods, anything that is "post industrial" or that results from animal husbandry. That's pretty much anything that didn't fall off of a bush in the woods. It is very likely that I didn't read enough to get the full scope, but I believe that a healthy diet should include few if any processed foods, fresh foods that are in their simplest form and that contain the highest nutritional value. Because it is difficult in most urban areas to find foods that aren't packaged up in tidy little boxes, or processed in some way I can't imagine how difficult it would be to stick to this diet. I applaud anyone that can do it sensibly,:drinker: but I do well enough to maintain a semi balanced diet and not get tripped up by the shiny packaging and time sparing convenience foods that are most readily available in my area. I would love to hear the experiences of those that have been able to stick to it for any significant length of time. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • sweetscorpio17
    sweetscorpio17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This article provides Pros and Cons.

http://www.dietsinreview.com/diets/the-paleo-diet/
  • Crysta1976
    Options
    For the record, almond butter (and peanut butter for that matter) is not processed IF you stick with natural almond/peanut/nut butters. The ingredient list should just be ground nuts and maybe salt.

Nut butters become processed when highly processed oils and sugars are added to increase shelf life and help keep the peanuts and its natural oil from separating. Many brands of peanut butter have ingredient lists that include high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils, fractionated oils, and all kinds of *kitten* you dont want to put in your body.

Another note, if you are going to buy natural peanut butter (you should because it is DELICIOUS) it will need to be refrigerated or the peanut oil that separates from the paste can go rancid.

This is why I had "processed" in quotes. It is all natural, at least the stuff he eats. But, since it is a packaged, commercial food, some would argue that it is still "processed". =)
  • Crysta1976
    Options
    I had a friend on this diet. She was able to last 2 months. I have read articles about this diet. I do not agree with it at all. When my friend was on the diet, she looked as if she was gaining weight. She was so focussed on eating chicken and lettuce that she at 5x as much chicken in one sitting as anyone should.

I think we all saw a few years back that fad diets do not work. All those no carb diets did help with initial weightloss but it does not stay off.

Also for women, dairy is crucial to have in our diets. In a Paleo diet, you cut out all dairy and grain.

The one thing I do agree with from this diet is that it incorporates lean varieties of meat and a lot of fruits and veggies. (Although, Paleo does exclude certain kinds for reasons I do not agree with either.)

I recommend looking into it in depth and evaluating the reasons that they have for cutting out valuable food groups. If you do chose to go with this diet I would make sure that you are replacing the nutrients you would typically find in dairy and grains.

I still think the best way to go is to eat a balanced diet- That way, it's not a diet, its a lifestyle change!!!!!!

Though I agree with the main concept of what you said here, some of your points are a little off base. Paleo is not a "fad diet". It is very much a lifestyle. It's just that the average person in today's society would have a difficult time adhering to it 100% for the rest of their lives, for several valid reasons. This is where the variations come from and people manipulate it to make it easier...as with everything else. Also, there is a lot of benefit to dairy, but it is not crucial. You can receive the same benefits from other natural sources.

I do whole-heartedly agree, and believe the best way to go is with a balanced diet... whatever that means to any individual (vegan, vegetarian, Paleo, gluten free...)
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    www.marksdailyapple.com

There ya go.
  • fightingthebulge
    fightingthebulge Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, yea this diet might be a little too strict for me which will lead me to binge which I need to prevent from doing ..:smile:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    My brother is on a Paleo version. He has dropped weight like crazy! But, his Dr is concerned because it went so fast.

His diet really doesn't consist of much at all. He pretty much lives on grilled (plain) chicken breast, white sweet potatoes, avocado, eggs and nuts. Once in a while he will treat himself to a Buffalo steak (very lean) or a salad. He will NOT eat any white starches like white potatoes or white rice. He doesn't eat grains....no brown rice, wheat, barley (other than a beer very seldomly). He will eat veggies because the doctor said he has to, but he doesn't eat fruit or drink juices because they are considered post-industrial. The only "processed" food he will eat on a regular basis is almond butter. He uses it as a major protein and energy pack. He does not eat bread or pasta of any kind. And he does not consume dairy of any kind. He also avoids inflammatory foods such as salt, onions and peppers.

Granted, I believe he is taking his diet to an extreme, and not solely following the Paleo guidelines. But I have read about it and though it sounds very interesting...I would imagine it to be very difficult!

I'm curious to see what other responses you get on this. Good luck! =0)

He is following it to the Paleo standards. He has adopted the lifestyle and the only thing your brother needs to add more of is fats..............

I have just about every Paleo book out there and feel great when adhering to the paleo standards.

I specifically follow the Primal Blue Print by Mark Sisson, it is fabulous. However, I wanted to lose weight a bit faster than it was coming off with the Paleo eating due to some health issues, so I am doing the HCG Diet for a while then will transition back over to Paleo eating for Life Maintenance.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Thanks guys, yea this diet might be a little too strict for me which will lead me to binge which I need to prevent from doing ..:smile:

No, it won't..............It is the closest thing to curing binges. I was a binge eater. Bulimic.

Between Atkins and the Primal Blue Print, it helped me get rid of cravings which led to binging and purging.
  • sheyna1983
    sheyna1983 Posts: 137
    Options
    I am on the Paleo diet - have lost 10 pounds since July 16th. It's amazing!! I have never lasted 2 weeks on such a restrictive diet before and I can see myself going a lot further with this way of eating. The only downfall is you gain weight immediately when you cheat. I have had 2 cheat meals since starting this diet and both caused me to gain a pound back.

I really recommend this diet though. I am losing weight quickly and feel super energetic. Just make sure you supplement with calcium.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I am on the Paleo diet - have lost 10 pounds since July 16th. It's amazing!! I have never lasted 2 weeks on such a restrictive diet before and I can see myself going a lot further with this way of eating. The only downfall is you gain weight immediately when you cheat. I have had 2 cheat meals since starting this diet and both caused me to gain a pound back.

I really recommend this diet though. I am losing weight quickly and feel super energetic. Just make sure you supplement with calcium.

When you eat something like grains that you haven't had and have major water retention (like half pound or more) that is a sign of gluten or grain intolerance.................
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yes, Yes, and Yes! I love eating this way. And I do not consider it a "fad" diet at all. It is a healthy, natural way of eating. One of my close friends lost crazy amounts of weight doing this. She's been eating Paleo for almost a year now-11 months I think. She is also a runner and her times have really improved since going Paleo. Here's what I can tell you:

-I've been doing it for almost 2 months and have lost 12 pounds. (I weigh tomorrow, so maybe more!)
    -My pants are falling off of me, I can wear two sizes smaller than I did 2 months ago.
    -I can exercise longer and harder that I EVER have been able to before-including high school when I was a cheerleader and dancer. My trainer cannot believe all that I am able to do.
    -All of my digestive issues and headaches have gone away.
    -I only eat whole, organic foods and feel so much better.
    -I think all of the processed crap and fake sugar was really screwing with my metabolism and giving me major cravings.
    -ALL of my cravings have disappeared.
    -I think I was lactose intollerant a bit...I used to have major bubble guts after milk and cheese. Not anymore.
    -I eat a lot of frutis and veggies.
    -I occasioanlly have greek yogurt or a whole grain (1-2 a week)

It is seriously not too hard. In fact, I think it is the easiest "diet" I have ever tried. I feel great, and I enjoy eating this way. OK, this was probably way more info than you wanted, and I know I sound like a commercial, but seriously, I would continue to eat this way, even if the weight loss stopped simply because I feel better. Good luck!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Yes, Yes, and Yes! I love eating this way. And I do not consider it a "fad" diet at all. It is a healthy, natural way of eating. One of my close friends lost crazy amounts of weight doing this. She's been eating Paleo for almost a year now-11 months I think. She is also a runner and her times have really improved since going Paleo. Here's what I can tell you:

-I've been doing it for almost 2 months and have lost 12 pounds. (I weigh tomorrow, so maybe more!)
    -My pants are falling off of me, I can wear two sizes smaller than I did 2 months ago.
    -I can exercise longer and harder that I EVER have been able to before-including high school when I was a cheerleader and dancer. My trainer cannot believe all that I am able to do.
    -All of my digestive issues and headaches have gone away.
    -I only eat whole, organic foods and feel so much better.
    -I think all of the processed crap and fake sugar was really screwing with my metabolism and giving me major cravings.
    -ALL of my cravings have disappeared.
    -I think I was lactose intollerant a bit...I used to have major bubble guts after milk and cheese. Not anymore.
    -I eat a lot of frutis and veggies.
    -I occasioanlly have greek yogurt or a whole grain (1-2 a week)

It is seriously not too hard. In fact, I think it is the easiest "diet" I have ever tried. I feel great, and I enjoy eating this way. OK, this was probably way more info than you wanted, and I know I sound like a commercial, but seriously, I would continue to eat this way, even if the weight loss stopped simply because I feel better. Good luck!
    :flowerforyou:

:love:

:drinker:
  • sheyna1983
    sheyna1983 Posts: 137
    Options

When you eat something like grains that you haven't had and have major water retention (like half pound or more) that is a sign of gluten or grain intolerance.................

Really??? That explains alot :grumble:

Thanks
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Hello all you Cave People out there! :laugh: :love:

I have come a long way in figuring out my gut issues.
    BUTT (pun intended!), the party ain't over yet! :cry: :sad:

After eating gluten-free since Feb. and mostly avoiding dairy, me gut is still not completely happy.

I know from past experience that the Blood Type Diet has worked well for me. We "O" Types are the original blood type from back in the days when our ancestors hunted & gathered all their food before the ages of agriculture & industrialization.

I'm again reminded of the Paleo Diet that I researched a while back and will revisit it again.
    Thanks for the thread & good info here! :flowerforyou: :love: :drinker:
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    It sounds similar to the atkins diet, doesn't it?
  • KrisSing56
    KrisSing56 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm also trying the Paleo diet. I've been avoiding gluten and dairy for awhile, but the weight loss is just going TOO slowly for me! I suspect that grains are at the root of the problem, so I'm gonna give this a go and see how I feel.