My first 5K in the "Eating Era"

Options
Chevy_Quest
Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
My first 5K in the "Eating Era"

I had a "quick fix mentality" and I tried to lose too fast by eating too little!

I know that this is a funny title, but it is so true. I have been trying to lose weight now for 25 years. I have dropped 10-20-30 lbs to see it all come back because every time I did it ... I used a method that was not sustainable. I ate 1000-1200 calories a day and did not eat back my exercise calories. When you are 5'7" man with a starting weight of 200-210 lbs, I am sorrry, but that is way too little. --> My goal loss was always 3-4 lbs per week - I was on "fire" (so I thought).

I wandered in the fad diet, messed up, theme park

I have also tried every fad diet known to man to lose weight: Keto with keto strips, Fit for life, No meat ( but french fries :( - totally idiotic), slim fast shakes, only Naked juice at nights, Fasting for days... the list goes on and on. And the way I did it was always the same: Eat 800-1200 calories as long as I could stand it, go on a 10-12 day binge of 4000-5000 calories, get "tough" with myself, and do it over again. I could never run very far because I would just "lose steam". Weights were out of the question because I would get a sore throat . My immune system was shot, my nails were breaking, and my hair looked like crap. Through every one of these cycles I would bet heavier and heavier.

Still stuck in Quack fixes

This year I started out at about 203 lbs. This time I calculated my lean body mass and I realized that I needed to lose 40-50 lbs and try to preserve my lean body mass (like I knew what I was doing <<snort>>). So what do I do in May 2013 (I swear I am not making this up) - I took Raspberry Ketones!

The "Turnaround"

Finally I started reading the posts here, really digesting the succinct and factual advice from the "mean veterans" (<<joke >>and y'all know it :-) and took with a grain of salt the rainbows, glitter unicorn, and you can lose 40 lbs in 4 months just by "believing hard enough" stuff. I decided that if I was going to do it right, I would eat ENOUGH (between my BMR and TDEE) , and FUEL my exercise. I was not going to get paralyzed by "Red" days and I realized that they were inevitable. But, instead of "sweeping them under the carpet" and setting the odometer back to zero, I would log everything on a "Red" day(s) to learn my behaviors. I learn to look at a whole month like a checkbook with green blocks and red blocks. I would eat more fruits and vegetables, but I would not get paralyzed by "strict clean eating" and embrace IIFYM too! You see - I like to eat and I like pizza!

Like I said this was my first 5K in the "eating era". This is what was different this time:

1. I knew I was going to finish strong - I had been able to train for months consistently. I knew how my body responded.
2. I knew what heart rate and pace I needed to maintain to get through the race. You have to understand that back in the "Starve/Pig Out" era, I never knew when I was going to "bonk" and finish the race with my head down, my tail between my legs, and shuffling because my knees were "screaming".
3. I wasn't afraid of the hills and I knew what to do because I have been training on hills.
4. I knew to warm up before, what to eat, what to drink, and when to do the "pre-race pee"!
5. I knew to not let my ego take over when my HRM was telling me to "ease off".

The Race

I modestly set back in the rear 25% of the people. I knew what pace I wanted to run.. hopefully between 12:00 - 13:00. I placed myself in the starting "mob" accordingly; I didn't want to be "that guy" that the 7:00 and 8:00 people trip over! When the race started I let adrenaline take hold, but when my HR got to 160, I said "Whoa there big fella..slow it down". I got my HR to between 148 and 152 and set things on cruise control. After mile 1 there was a 1/4 mile b1tch of a hill. I changed my gait, let myself go to 160-165 the whole time and got up to the top without being "winded". Then, I made sure I got back in the 140's so I wouldn't get a "stitch" in my side. Thanked all the volunteers the whole way (they gave their time.. that IS a big deal). Then, I arriave at mile two and I realized I felt pretty good. I decided to "air it out" and started taking longer strides and all of a sudden....

The "Glide" kicked in!

I felt great and I looked at my HRM and it was 162 the whole time and I was "surviving"! When I saw the finish line, instead of doing a desperate "guilty" sprint, I took long confident strides and literally "bounced across" the finish line.. it was fantastic. And a bit emotional too.

finish_zps1a3c334b.jpg

Result
Result: I ran a 36:24 time at a 11:43 pace! - That is a personal best for the last 10 years. I stopped my HRM and my average HR the entire time was 154 BPM. I never would have dreamed I could keep that HR up for so long. I constantly went into the 160's and I felt comfortable the whole time.

My wife was there to greet me and she was beaming because she knew that I had done well. The results were good I finished in the last 25% of my age group, and for once I was not LAST in my age group LOL!

What is next

I am going to keep following the advice here on MFP, I am going to keep eating to lose weight, I am going to be happy with 1-2 lbs per month weight loss, I am going to start lifting more, and continue to stretch myself.

The 20 things post
I thought that this post was awesome.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1123195-20-things-no-one-tells-you-about-running

Best line: 19. Running performance is as much, if not more, about mental strength as your physical strength.

Also.. I escaped 10,13,18 LOL (If you want to find out you have to read the post!)

Raceday_zpse5bfe704.jpg

Great Friends Here

I have a great set of MFP friends here who are really supportive and know when to "challenge" me at the right time.. I feel very fortunate. We are all here to support each other!
Go for it everybody!

Replies

• cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    very nice success story for your sure to be long list of accomplishments.
    Good for you.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! Nice shout out to the "mean" people as well :flowerforyou:

Signed:

A grateful follower of the slow and steady way of thinking!

:drinker:
  • JKDLady
    JKDLady Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am so happy for you! What a day and a supportive wife also.

I with rhon as another happy slow and steady follower!
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • runningcat76
    Options
    That's awesome, thanks for your inspiring post.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I know how huge that is. The fact that you shaved that much of off of your pace is amazing and I'm really impressed. Excellent story, excellent work!
  • merry_abandon
    merry_abandon Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    That is an incredible story, Chevy! And thanks for pointing out the "slow and steady" philosophy. I know I get caught up in wanting to lose too fast, and have to be reminded sometimes to go for healthy, not just skinny (toned sounds so much better anyway)! You continue to amaze! :drinker:
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    @all - thanks for all the kind words and support. This MFP thing really works! :drinker: :smile: :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!