Hey pre-op crowd!

Options
I am around 6 months to 1 year pre-op and still new to this life change that I have made so bad food choices are still a problem for me but I refuse to give in to my weaknesses. Do any of you find it hard to find the right mix of foods that fit into what you are trying to do? Also, when making a big change like this in your life is it best to get into a "groove" and stick with it each day or is variety better? I imagine it really comes down to the individual and what works best for them. As a pre-op patient do any of you do a bariatric diet before having surgery? Thanks.

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on here? I have friends that lost hundreds of pounds without surgery. Don't do this to yourself when you don't need to. Please don't be upset with me for saying that, just surgery is dangerous and their is no need. We'll look after you. :cry:
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you don't have to stress over bad food choices vs good food choices. Just eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight. Your entire diet could consist of snickers bars and icecream.. you will still lose weight (not that it would be a good idea to go that route). Best of luck :)
  • mom9198
    mom9198 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I was on a fast track to surgery when I discovered MFP. The support and accountability of an open diary, as well as three out of three of my close friends who had bariatric surgery have ALL had some kind of complication. Two of them had problems more than three years lateras well and one almost died from blood loss during surgery from a nicked spleen that didn't get caught till after initial surgery. I told myself I was going to do EVERYTHING in my power to avoid surgery. It's been a challenging year but I am so glad I have stuck with it. I owe a lot to MFP, and the friends who have been a source of support and motivation. Best wishes, for health!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    If you are six to twelve months pre op there is so much you can do in that time to reverse the damage caused by overweight. Don't try to run before you can walk, make changes gently. Keep to a calorie limit with some exercise eaten back too and you will progress. For most people there is no reason to avoid any foods so a little of what you fancy will help as long as it is within your allocation.

Most of the reason I found myself overweight is my salicylate sensitivity, it runs in my family. Had I know about it 40 years ago when research was really starting in Australia, I would never have let myself get into this state. At one stage I was up to 20st and at 5ft3 that is not good. Some how I realised I felt worst if I used pain relief and without much else I lost some weight. I gained greater mobility, lost joint pain, gradually becoming my old self when I realised I reacted to maize starch too, (moderate on a salicylate scale). Then my health took a real turn for the worst salicylate was mentioned to me, I discovered its in so many more everyday foods. Medics and all say it only effects a very few people but in a world where everything has to be perfumed, be spicy, freely available and maize in included in most diet products, it probably get to more people now.

I have been vilified by family, friends and total strangers for not knowing what to eat. I have my life back, my days can start at 7-00 am and last till 11-00 pm again. Interestingly I was smaller this year at 14.7 than I was three years ago at the same weight, still have clothes I wore to a wedding now they are toooo big.

All the very best in achieving a healthy outcome
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    Options
    Join me and do Medifast! It can help too! You may be able to lose all you need to while eating healthy :)
  • aldomodo
    aldomodo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey there Razorback47. I totally respect your choice although I know its not for everyone. I'm commencing my 2 week pre-op diet today which will be low cal low carb. I'm going with synthetic food (shakes and dehydrated stuff) for this phase just for easiness and getting lots of protein in. Many people won't understand your plan to have bariatric surgery, but after 37 years of dieting and being morbidly obese for most of that time I'm with you! I've previously lost almost 100lb, but have regained and I want to get off that treadmill. Here's to surgery!
  • razorback47
    Options
    How long have you been on here? I have friends that lost hundreds of pounds without surgery. Don't do this to yourself when you don't need to. Please don't be upset with me for saying that, just surgery is dangerous and their is no need. We'll look after you. cry

No, it is okay. I have asked myself the same question. The VA is wanting me to do bariatric surgery but if I can beat this without it then all the better.