Eat a pickle, gain a pound?

Options
2»

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    How about normal daily fluctuation? I'm guessing you would've gained the pound with or without the pickle.

SO much this! My weight varies +/- 2 lbs a DAY depending on sodium, food, and water intake.
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    And to think I almost bought a jar of pickles yesterday!! Anyway its temporary weight gain IF it was indeed caused by that pickle. Don't worry about it.

I have weighed as much as 5 pounds from morning to night ( when I obsessed over the scale)

We need to STOP weighing ourselves every freakin' day!!!
  • redboy33
    redboy33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Funny. I Googled this topic and came here. I track with MFP everyday (well, mostly) but have never used the forums. This week (tomorrow, in fact) is the last week of an 8 week weight loss contest at work. I decided to stay at or under 1000 cals for the week. I run at least a 5k everyday (due to a recent injury I stopped lifting weights) and then walk another mile or two to cool down. I lost weight, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Yesterday. I had a whole Kosher Pickle. 0 cals according to the jar. I completely forgot about the salt. Today I weighed exactly 1 pound heavier than I did yesterday morning.

I honestly believe it was the salt. TOMORROW I weigh in. What should I do? Try and flush my system by drinking tons of water?

I weigh myself everyday and unless I drink too much beer (it happens) I don't normally gain an entire pound the next day?

I vote it was the pickle (salt)

Ideas?
  • ElliTree
    ElliTree Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Green tea and coffee. They're mild diuretics. Good luck with your weigh in.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I ate a "brine pickle" (with 250 mg sodium). Today, I am a pound heavier!

The only thing I can contribute this gain to is the pickle. I ate everything else within limits. The pickle didn't add much calories . . . but why on earth did I retain so much water? I also did not exercise hard yesterday, so I know it's not muscle/water weight.

I have to say that the pickle was good.....
    Probably ate a 2 lb pickle or something.

Hey..it happens
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I love pickles, won't cut them from my diet. They're loaded with sodium, yes, but I make sure to drink enough water to offset that.. same with olives, which are a daily food regimen for me.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I love pickles, but the stupid label on my pickle jar states that a serving size is about 1/2 a pickle. Like I'm only going to eat half a pickle. :noway:

Also, my brain went to a totally different place when I saw the topic. :smokin:
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    250mg? Maybe in a spear. If I eat a full dill pickle, I know it's a sodium bomb. It's on par with swiss chard for sodium surprises.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I ate a "brine pickle" (with 250 mg sodium). Today, I am a pound heavier!

The only thing I can contribute this gain to is the pickle. I ate everything else within limits. The pickle didn't add much calories . . . but why on earth did I retain so much water? I also did not exercise hard yesterday, so I know it's not muscle/water weight.

I have to say that the pickle was good.....
    I am sure someone already said this, but weight can fluctuate daily. Maybe just have 1 weigh in each week and that way the extra pound today and two dropped tomorrow won't drive you batty. And yay for pickles! I love those things, but pretty high in sodium which can cause you to retain water.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love pickles, won't cut them from my diet. They're loaded with sodium, yes, but I make sure to drink enough water to offset that.. same with olives, which are a daily food regimen for me.

This. Plus smoked salmon.

Anyway, more likely that the fluctuation is just one of those things.
  • ashleybreanna13
    ashleybreanna13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I needed this pickle conversation. I had a whole jar of spears the other day, to myself, and I'm up about 8lbs. I'm chugging the water as we speak.
  • teresa_garcia29
    teresa_garcia29 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Well, I didn't think of the sodium part until I saw my count go way over after a wonderful dill pickle. Couldn't pass up the 0 calories. Glad this is a Tuesday. I'm going to up my water intake and not worry about it at all!!!
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    This kind of obsession over a pound or two of water weight isn't really healthy. Unless you're planning on a modeling gig the very next day, just eat a pickle. So what if you retain some water?
  • Sparks_wife2013
    Sparks_wife2013 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    LittleSpy wrote: »
    How about normal daily fluctuation? I'm guessing you would've gained the pound with or without the pickle.

I have to agree
  • candylanders
    candylanders Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    YES! I just found this because I was trying to figure out why I gained a lb yesterday! My calories were on point and I exercised. I ate a pickle and had a bloody mary with a little pickle juice in it! I gained 1lb! I was so upset LOL... I guess I do need to watch my sodium intake now.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Today there are zombie threads on pickles and on pickleball. Is this a joke?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Today there are zombie threads on pickles and on pickleball. Is this a joke?

Dang it. The pickle ball one was, too?!?
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    YES! I just found this because I was trying to figure out why I gained a lb yesterday! My calories were on point and I exercised. I ate a pickle and had a bloody mary with a little pickle juice in it! I gained 1lb! I was so upset LOL... I guess I do need to watch my sodium intake now.

did you read any of the other replies or just the OP?