8 lb dumbbells

Options
I started doing Jillian 30 day shred I have prior weight lifting experience and I've been using 8 lb dumbbells, they seem to be just right as I'm able to do a decent amount of reps and still feel the burn later. does 8 lb sound like a good weight or should I be doing less/more?

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Great job thus far! Sounds like you're wanting to push yourself with the resistance training. I think if you're not sure about the 8lb. dumbbells, then that means you're ready for the 10lb. dumbbells. You would know if 8lb. is too much. So continue pushing yourself and try the 10s (and put the 12s on standby).

Start taking progress pics. When I jumped from 8s to 10s/12s, is when I started really seeing the changes. :) Good luck!
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    if you can complete ALL the reps with the 8lbs give the 10lbs a try. I don't use this workout so much for the resistance as the cardio benefits, so I stick to lighter weights. I use 3lbs for the shoulder involved movements but keep the 5lbs for some of the other moves. I do the weight lifting seperately so for me I'm only looking to put a little tension on the muscle while keeping the heart rate up.

But power too you if you can go heavier. You might want to check out les mills pump. It incorporates alot more weight with the cardio and is fun.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    I know I'm probably coming at it from a different view point to you, but I think that as soon as you can do 12-15 reps or more then you aren't really getting anything from the weight as it's too light.