Night owls, how do you divide up your days?

Options
I know this isn't a very important question. I think as long as you are consistent about when your "day" starts and ends, it doesn't really matter. Still, I wonder, out of curiosity, does a new day start for you at the stroke of midnight? When the sun comes up? When it goes down? When you wake up from sleeping?

For me, my days are broken up by when I go to bed and when I wake up. Usually i'm in bed at about midnight and I wake up at six or seven. Last night, my stomach was upset so I didn't want to eat dinner and I went to bed early. Then I woke up around 2:30-3:00 am, famished, so I grabbed a snack and went back to bed. Now I'm wondering where those calories should go. Like I said, I'm not really concerned about it, no big deal, just thinking about it prompted me to ask how you guys do it.

Replies

• indysteve
    indysteve Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    for me personally my day starts when i wake up and ends when i go to sleep. i work 3p to 11p so my biological clock is different from a person that work 9a to 5p. With that being said the standard rule of not eating after 7 pm doesn't work me since, 7pm is usually lunch.
  • kanuckkim74
    Options
    I'm the same as indysteve, I'm a nurse that works both days and nightshirts. On my nightshifts I try to limit my intake but don't stop it but because my metabolism works so different with all these shifts I tend to eat lighter on the nights then the days. When I get off my nights my click is all screwed up of course so when I wake at 3am and feel hungry I have a glass of almond milk and put my will power in motion and refuse to eat lol then count down the hours until breakfast lol
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    2nd shifter here. My "day" starts at about 11am, I get breakfast at about 11:30ish or so. Lunch is at about 5. Snacks range from start of shift to about 7pm. Dinner is when I get home at 11pm. I go to sleep at about 2am. It's a wacked up schedule but that's life.

All said and done I really believe it helped while losing the weight. My worst eating times are at night. I tend to graze without thinking about it. Or I should say I used to. Being at work controls those urges simply because I bring a set amount of food with me and no money for vending machine use.
  • xxcooneyxx
    xxcooneyxx Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    . Being at work controls those urges simply because I bring a set amount of food with me and no money for vending machine use.

Yeah I NEVER take money to work for that specific reason.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    This is how i have been doing it... Midnight -3am if i have a snack goes on yesterday... after 3am it goes on tomorrow...

edit: it doesnt really make much sense but i kind of just bit the bullet and made a plan
  • jenn_zimm
    jenn_zimm Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm a 3rd shift RN, so I just go strictly by time - my diary is divided up 12a-6a, 6a-12p, 12p-6p. and 6p-12a. I just go by the clock, which makes my life a lot easier!
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    I'm a 3rd shift RN, so I just go strictly by time - my diary is divided up 12a-6a, 6a-12p, 12p-6p. and 6p-12a. I just go by the clock, which makes my life a lot easier!

Right now I have divided my diary with numbers 1-6, but your solution sounds great.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I generally stay up until 2 or 3 am and get up around 11 am or noon.

My diary is divided into midnight to noon, noon to 5, 5 to 10 and 10 to midnight. Everything I eat is logged for the calendar day that I ate it rather than whether it was before/after bedtime.