anyone with OCD help

Options
My son has OCD, it very hard to live a normal life, he has been fighing OCD for many years
doctor after doctor and no help.....there are no support groups....anyone out there have OCD and if so how does a mother help her son fight it....been trying for 10 years....it has affected his life and mine.
thank you for any help or support... Some time i dont know where to turn...and i just need someone to talk to. carol

Replies

• Carol123
    Carol123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My son has OCD, it very hard to live a normal life, he has been fighing OCD for many years
    doctor after doctor and no help.....there are no support groups....anyone out there have OCD and if so how does a mother help her son fight it....been trying for 10 years....it has affected his life and mine.
    thank you for any help or support... Some time i dont know where to turn...and i just need someone to talk to. carol
  • roshong06
    roshong06 Posts: 196
    Options
    I'm sorry...I dont' know anyone with OCD...but if it helps, I am a good listener. I will pray for you and your son.
    Jenn
  • Carol123
    Options
    thank you...
  • dachinababe
    dachinababe Posts: 185
    Options
    I had a friend who had OCD, she went to theropy and got better. From what I know OCD is an anxiety disorder and should be able to revise using behavioral theropy or cognitive-behavioral therapy to help with patients to react differently with anxiety trigger situations. this is about all that I know...may be try to take him to a good cognitive behavioral theropist if you hadn't done so.. I'm sorry i am unable to help further. hope you and your son all the best..
  • littlespoon
    littlespoon Posts: 165
    Options
    I just quickly googled OCD support groups and there are so many. I dont know where you are (i'm in Australia) but I am not sure why you are finding it difficult to find help; are you maybe looking in the wrong place? A medical doctor wont be able to help you because it is a psychological condition, but there is treatment available and it is one of the most common psychological disorders. Seek the help of a psychologist and dachinababe is right - cognitive-behavourial therapy is the treatment for this condition.

Good Luck.
  • 2Shoes
    2Shoes Posts: 396
    Options
    My daughter was diagnosed with OCD and she was put on Zoloft, and it damn near cured her. She was a completely different person with it. She was not obsessing anymore, and she was able to lead a completely normal life. We also went to therapy but I think because she was a a very young age (11 at the time) I don't think it really helped her much.

We were able to wean her off of the meds. So she is med free, and for the most part, symptom free. The little bit of anxiety she would start to feel, she was able to deal with it and realize that it was just her OCD and she dealt with them very well.

I wish you and your son well. I know what it is like dealing with someone with OCD and it can take a toll. Its very hard watching someone you love obsess over the things they obsess about. You just want to "fix" them. I will keep you and your son in my prayers. :flowerforyou:
  • joey16g
    joey16g Posts: 63
    Options
    Carol - I have it. It is, along with anorexia, one of the hardest mental diseases with which to break the cycle so I certainly understand.

Currently, I am on Luvox which treats it pretty well but I still have bout's of it daily. I also see a counselor once a month. I deal with it a lot better than before. I used to be very VERY late for things, and sometimes not leave the house because I was fixing things, and now I'm just a little late. I do my little "dances" but it is managable. I've had it for about 15 years, since adolescence, and I never really thought that I needed to get help but finally other anxieties forced me to it and I'm very glad that I did. Luckily I was able to find a job, a niche for me, as a Quality Assurance Scientist which requires a detailed eye and organization and a lot of OCD characteristics.

I hope that everything works out with you and your son! I would suggest a combination of drugs and counseling to treat it.
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    Carol - I have it. It is, along with anorexia, one of the hardest mental diseases with which to break the cycle so I certainly understand.

Currently, I am on Luvox which treats it pretty well but I still have bout's of it daily. I also see a counselor once a month. I deal with it a lot better than before. I used to be very VERY late for things, and sometimes not leave the house because I was fixing things, and now I'm just a little late. I do my little "dances" but it is managable. I've had it for about 15 years, since adolescence, and I never really thought that I needed to get help but finally other anxieties forced me to it and I'm very glad that I did. Luckily I was able to find a job, a niche for me, as a Quality Assurance Scientist which requires a detailed eye and organization and a lot of OCD characteristics.

I hope that everything works out with you and your son! I would suggest a combination of drugs and counseling to treat it.

I have a family member that was diagnosed with OCD several years ago as well, and I agree with Joey- medication's not for everyone, but it can be a valuable tool in managing his disorder should it be needed. I'm not for putting anyone and everyone on meds at the first sight of trouble, but if it's affecting your lives, it may be something for him and his doctor to consider- my aunt, with the help of medication and regular counseling, is able to manage her OCD.
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i have ocd and have had it since i was 7 years old back then they wouldnt put me on anything just counseling which i hated to be honest with you. at that age you just ddont understand it and you think there is something really wrong with you. when i became a teenager they put me on Buspar (SP?) and allegra the allergy med to work with each other to keep my heart rate down and to keep me focused and help me get through the situations. no one can cure it except your son and is truley a mental thing.(i dont mean that in a bad way its just what it is)

i have done way better in the last few years up until 2 weeks ago(family death, overtired, stressed) i hadnt had any major attacks in like 3 years. Stress is the main trigger maybe you can get him a mild anxiety pill. that will help keep him focused.

good luck
  • runnerwithstyle
    runnerwithstyle Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have OCD with an eating disorder and anxiety. I take medication for my disorder, but every day is a new journey.
  • kittybellenir
    kittybellenir Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    We understand that's it's hard on our loved ones, but all your son needs is love and support. I don't have an extreme case of OCD, just mild. Feel Free to vent to us anytime, I watched a show once where a young lady had therapy sessions(not the sit down and chat, but actual finding the trigger points and having her face them) to overcome her anxietys, and it took her OCD from extreme to mild, We'll be here for you!:smile:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    First, I am glad that you asked for support - even if we cannot be there with you to get through the day to day - there is always a friendly 'voice' here at MFP to get you through the hard times.

I would suggest googling Biofeedback and reseach this method in your area. It is most commonly used for ADD/ADHD but since so many of the behaviors of OCD overlap or are a part of ADD - this may be a viable option for you as well. My son has ADD with strong OCD/Anxiety spectrum. We hate the way he behaves on the medicine which is why we are currently seeking other alternatives. A good friend of mine has had very good luck with this method with his 12 yo son.

I wish you all the best.

:flowerforyou:
  • Carol123
    Options
    Thank you all for the support, and suggestions, My son sean is on medcation, lexapro, he has been in support group, and has seem pschologist....I feel what Joey said is true its a hard mental disorder to break...and the anxiety that goes along with it, is so hard to deal with...Im glad medication has help some of you..but in Sean case he has to fight this every day, and yes it is a new day everyday..
    Thank you all again sometime a mom just got to vent......

Maybe if the world had more people like the ones here on this site. people would understand what OCD is and wouldn't think that people that have OCD are crazy to keep checking or that you cant leave the house....thank you for being here
  • joey16g
    joey16g Posts: 63
    Options
    Good luck with everything with you and your son Carol.
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your son! My daughter, almost 15 now, has struggled with OCD for the last several years. Hers appears in Anorexia/Bulemia. She's on Lexapro and therapy. Honestly though, it took hospitalization for her to get some "good" control back. She used to run our home and lives in all kinds of crazy directions that most people wouldn't understand. INTENSE therapy did the trick, it's been hard, but things are better now (sigh of relief!) We live in fear that something might again trigger her to extreme behaviors again. My heart goes out to you and your son...May God bless your day that you have peace of mind and heart!