Raspberry Ketones

Options
Overheard in a shop today:

Customer (buying raspberry ketones, costing over £20): Do these actually work?
Shop assistant: They're really really really really really popular...

Replies

• Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I know they work on rats, but people? only feed back I have is they give people raspberry burps. XD was it Holland and Barrett by any chance? lol!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    No supplement helps with weight loss without calorie deficit. And even then the attribute to it is about 1% of total weight loss. So if one lost 10lbs. then .01 pounds was due to the supplement. Not cost effective.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    They definitely don't do anything, and I think the shop assistant must know that.
    It was funny hearing them really encourage the customer to make the purchase without actually having to lie to them by telling them it works.
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options

My bet is that the sales clerk knows raspberry ketones are just the latest Dr. Oz garbage but doesn't want to say that outright. Saying a supplement is a big seller without commenting on its efficacy (or lack thereof) is a way to avoid outright lying to customer
  • Kayden1986
    Options
    I don't think they work at all.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I can't hear this phrase without thinking of a 60s psychedelic synth band.
  • primal_cupcakes
    Options
    They definitely don't do anything, and I think the shop assistant must know that.
    It was funny hearing them really encourage the customer to make the purchase without actually having to lie to them by telling them it works.

Exactly.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    It's sad. I wanted to step in and say: "No, they don't work, you're definitely wasting your money. I understand you want to lose weight, and there is nothing wrong with that, but this is not the way. Let me teach you the ways of calorie counting."
    It seems so wrong that companies and shops can take advantage of people who are looking for help, and encourage them to spend their money on things which don't work. But I guess that's just how a lot of money is made these days.
  • primal_cupcakes
    Options
    I've done it. I work in the Wellness department of a health food store selling supplements. I don't always use that evasive terminology when someone asks me about a crap supplement. Some days I am much more blunt and unfiltered with my opinions on the products we sell. (from the good to the bad to the ugly).
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options

No. The only way to get into keto is the hardway I'm afraid. Less >25carbs highfat/high protein...only way sorry!
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    actually work does not equal really popular. way to avoid the question!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Exactly.
    Yep, I work in retail. The assistant is basically saying, "Yeah, it's a crappy product that doesn't work at all, but I'm being paid to sell it, so I'll just find something positive to say instead."
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 353 Member
    Options

I agree that this is a fairly brilliant way to answer the question without telling a lie. Also tells you the shop assistant knows the truth.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

I love the way what the assistant said was not a lie! I'm very fond of telling the staff in H&B when what they are saying is a crock when they try to flock me extra stuff I don't need (Bach Flower Remedies or homeopathy, anyone?).

I go there to buy coconut oil and yummy yogurt-coated raisins but always steer well clear of their 'diet' and 'detox' miracle cures.
  • nannymarty04
    nannymarty04 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I bought it tried it, did not work, i tried alot of Dr Oz's quick loss supplements, and did not work, alot of money i lost, the best way is the old natural way, less food more exercise!!!:love:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

That's funny. Here's a quote I found from the 1800s.

Customer (buying snake oil): Does this actually work?
    Someone watching others shelling out money: It's really, really, really, really popular...

We've come so far...
  • Kayden1986
    Options
    sometimes if people ask me, other than the raspberry burp aspect..., i'll just stand next to my manager and say no. I'm not lying to anyone.