P90X just wiped out my knee :(

Options
Started it last week after my Chicago Marathon. Now me knee is the size of a basketball and I cant bend it to even get a shoe on. Going to the drs on Thursday..UGH...Should of stuck with running

Replies

• Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    That sucks, sorry to hear that. Proper form is very important with any form of exercise.

Feel Better!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Aw, so sorry to hear this! I was going to do P90X but opted for Power 90 instead because my one knee is touchy, and I hear the plyo in P90X is murder. Hope your knee is on the mend soon. :flowerforyou:
  • Stooooo
    Options
    Power 90 is a great beginner program. Lots of people have used it as a stepping stone to P90X. Good luck and if you need any help please let me know.

All the best,
    Stu
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    What happened? What exercise were u doing?
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    My first go at P90X ended in week 9 because of my knee. About 6 months prior I strained my MCL really bad. I probably started it a little too soon and went at it a little too hard. Like they say, modification is key. If that still doesn't work, perhaps P90X is not for you, yet. Like others have said try Power 90 but even then just stick to the low impact stuff. One thing I am still nervous about doing is the X-jack. When I get to that I just do or keep doing regular jumping jacks. I just completed my second round of P90X and just started P90X Plus today, and I've dislocated and strained the MCL and ACL in my right knee about 5 times in 20 years and my left knee, the one that I had the problem with during my first attempt, once.
  • mzenzer
    Options
    Aw, so sorry to hear this! I was going to do P90X but opted for Power 90 instead because my one knee is touchy, and I hear the plyo in P90X is murder. Hope your knee is on the mend soon. :flowerforyou:

Plyo is high-impact without a doubt, but for each technique one of the trainers is showing a modified version. I basically do about 3 of the techniques modified but still walk away from it burning some crazy calories. They also suggest doing Cardio X in place of Plyo if it really makes you nervous. I'd give it a go after Power 90 it will be worth it, just know your limits.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Maybe your knee needed more rest after doing a marathon...
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options

Plyo is high-impact without a doubt, but for each technique one of the trainers is showing a modified version. I basically do about 3 of the techniques modified but still walk away from it burning some crazy calories. They also suggest doing Cardio X in place of Plyo if it really makes you nervous. I'd give it a go after Power 90 it will be worth it, just know your limits.

Thanks, friend :smile: - I was hoping to do that.
  • mzenzer
    Options

Thanks, friend :smile: - I was hoping to do that.

No problem feel free to ask questions any time of me. I have had severe low back issues since I was about 22 years old so I have to deal with that as well.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    My knee was drained and shot up with steriods. The orthoped said no lunges and no squats for me...EVER.. Even proper form. I have rhematoid arthritis and my knee is hit kinda of hard. Said to go back to running (until I cant do that anymore) and work on upper body strength and ignore lower body strength since I get that from running and biking.
  • Stooooo
    Options
    My knee was drained and shot up with steriods. The orthoped said no lunges and no squats for me...EVER.. Even proper form. I have rhematoid arthritis and my knee is hit kinda of hard. Said to go back to running (until I cant do that anymore) and work on upper body strength and ignore lower body strength since I get that from running and biking.

Dr. knows best! So take out Plyo, Yoga, Cardio X and Legs and Back Replace them with running. I would still do Kenpo X, but if that starts to be a problem then sub in running on that day as well. You could throw Chest and Back back in for a 2nd time on the day that you take out Legs and Back. So your schedule could look like this

Day 1 Chest and Back w/ Ab Ripper X
    Day 2 Running
    Day 3 Shoulder and Arms w/Ab Ripper X
    Day 4 Running
    Day 5 Chest and Back w/ Ab Ripper X
    Day 6 Kenpo X or Running
    Day 7 Rest

Hope this helps,
    Stu
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    So, P90X didn't blow out your knee it was the pounding that you got from running 26.2 miles and from your arthritis. Thank you for the complete story. Hope you feel better.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    So, P90X didn't blow out your knee it was the pounding that you got from running 26.2 miles and from your arthritis. Thank you for the complete story. Hope you feel better.

Wow, I must be missing something. Where did she say that the running and arthritis blew out her knee?
  • mmatteson
    Options
    I'm sure glad I came across this post. I am truly sorry to hear about your knee and I hope the prognosis from the doctor doesn't set you back too far. I currently walk 6 days a week for 30 minutes and it's helped me lose 15 pounds so far and it's an excersise I am going to continue. I was considering trying this since I need to tone my body more than what just the walking does. I do experience knee problems, but as long as I'm walking it tends to be fine. I have a problem with bending, so I am hoping the toning will help strengthen that part of my knee as well. I've chosen Shred It with Weights, which has a level 1 and 2. Now I'm gonna cross everything to make sure I survive this crazy journey. Good luck with your recovery and hope you're not out too long.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options

No it was the P90X...It agrivated my arthritis. The running in the past was a problem but I muddled through that in the yrs of running and have been semi injury free just running for yrs. I picked up P90X and my knee BALLOONED out. Dr said its b/c of the squats and lunges and the side to side motions which my body (knees) is not use to. Its not just P90X..any DVD doing those sequences would have bummed me out probably. Ill form and the quickenss of the moves just toppled me over lower body wise. I have completed 4 marathons and a 1/2 iron man and the last 2 have been all injury free and the 1/2IM.
  • michiganderrdh
    michiganderrdh Posts: 151 Member
    Options

No it was the P90X...It agrivated my arthritis. The running in the past was a problem but I muddled through that in the yrs of running and have been semi injury free just running for yrs. I picked up P90X and my knee BALLOONED out. Dr said its b/c of the squats and lunges and the side to side motions which my body (knees) is not use to. Its not just P90X..any DVD doing those sequences would have bummed me out probably. Ill form and the quickenss of the moves just toppled me over lower body wise. I have completed 4 marathons and a 1/2 iron man and the last 2 have been all injury free and the 1/2IM.

Congrats on your marathon!!! My husband just finished his 4th last weekend and wants to do a 1/2 Ironman next year. Me? I'm just looking to get throgh a 10k by May :)

I had ACL surgery last June (2009) for the second time. I started P90X in October with little or no issues but I did modify. I totally agree with Stu - maybe sub your running in for the cardio days.

One thing I've noticed with my hubby is that with all of the running he was/is totally lacking in strength training. How are you there? I loved my PT after surgery and by doing simple strength training moves I felt so much stronger and have had no problems since.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options

Good to know. I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis, and am working my way towards running with my doc's blessing. She did tell me to stay away from the extreme side-to-side stuff to protect my knee joints. So far I've been able to do Zumba and a lot of really brisk walking without an issue. Hoping your knee heals quickly and with no permanent repercussions.
  • exercisesucks
    Options

It seems to me that you suffered the same fate many runners do. They do not do much strength training. Strength training routines allow the tendons and connective tissue to become accustomed to moves that involve rapid directional changes because they have to work to stabilize the muscles during strength training. I am a Marine of 10 years and did my fair share of distance running. I usually had less knee problems when I did runs involving carrying packs then when just wearing tennis shoes. The added weight forced my body to adhere to proper form to prevent injury and kept my tendons strong and flexible. If all you do is run then your tendons do not develop the ability to make lateral movements and direction changes at a quick pace. It is very important to pace yourself and adhere to proper form principles when doing a new type of fitness routine that differs drastically from your previous routine. Also proper rest after a marathon is essential if you are planning on embarking on a totally different type of fitness. Your body requires a learning curve to adapt to the new routine. So while I don't believe P90X was the cause of your injury I do believe that performing that type of workout without adhering to proper form aggravated a problem already in progress. Hope you get better soon.
  • Dark_Latin_Guy
    Dark_Latin_Guy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I know this is an indirect response, but I would recommend taking the fitness test before starting with P90X. If you some how fail the test, then I would recommend starting with the Power 90 is the workout program that preceded P90X, do that for 30-60-90 days your body should adapt to the new movements during that time.

Best of Luck!