mio/flavored water

Options
I am not a big fan of water. There, I said it. I know water is the absolute best thing for you, and I love that when I have a lot of water, I eat less. But, unless I'm working out/just finished working out it's hard for me to make myself drink water. I like a lot of the Mio flavors and the knock off brands, so I'm just curious, are these bad for me/bad enough to outweigh the positive of getting me to drink more water? If so, what other flavoring methods do other people use besides fresh fruit? I also like this as a way to get flavored drinks without it being soda or sugary juice. Someday I'll make myself like water enough to just drink it, but in the meantime what are some suggestions?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I love Mio! If it helps you get your water in then go for it!
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I use great value flavor packets!!! Taste so good and im drinking water all day :)
  • jpace00
    Options
    What is really in that stuff though? I can't imagine it can be that great for you. It has no sugar and no calories...what in the hell makes the flavor?
  • ashleynratliff
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners are bad for you. Try True Lemon products.
  • slimjame
    slimjame Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same way! There are rarely any days and times that I can make myself drink regular water. Don't get me wrong, I know that I could easily MAKE myself drink plain water. With that being said, I don't think that I would be as successful. I think that I would start drinking juices and diet sodas because the plain water just doesn't do it for me. My favorite flavoring is by Crystal Light and Dasani. I rarely drink plain water and so far (a little more than 3 months into this) I have not noticed any negative health related side effects. I'm pretty sure I am losing more since drinking the water with flavoring in it. I'm interested to see how everyone else feels about this! Maybe it'll open my eyes to some negatives in doing this.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Herbal teas and sparkling water like mineral water are good alternatives. I have a soda stream maker and make my own sparkling water without added flavouring.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Strong first post.

Artificial sweeteners are delicious (personal tastes withstanding) and aren't bad for you (unless you have a sensitivity to them).

I add tea bags or coffee grounds to my water and then sweeten it with either Splenda (tea) or sugar free coffee mate (you guessed it, coffee).
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

No.

No no no no no no no no no no no.

No.

OP: Drink your Mio. Enjoy it.
  • jpace00
    Options
    I am not arguing with any of you but I find "artificial" products suspicious. I guess if you need something like that to drink water use it (don't get me wrong I drink it but I also hate drinking water). I do wonder though if they are bad for you.
  • Amwhite1986
    Amwhite1986 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Dasani flavoring myself. They have one that tastes just like fruit punch.
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Frozen berries or fresh fruit add a nice flavor. One of the best is 1/2 orange + 1/2 apple in a large container. Drink over course of a few hours. I add lemon juice & lime juice.

Also love lemon aide crystal light or mio when I need to get a bottle down fast.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I used to use Mio. I drank a lot more water that way. Unfortunately I developed a sensitivity to artificial sweeteners. Now I just drink unsweet tea.
  • CiCi924
    Options
    I was curious about this too. I usually use either the liquid Crystal Light or Dasani flavorings. It gets me to drink more water, so I don't really question it.

The alternatives sound like good ideas though!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I just can't drink plain water first thing in the morning, so I usually have coffee. Once my day gets started though, I'm fine with plain. However, I do use the Crystal Light flavorings often. It's all in moderation.

Water with some lemon or lime slices, or some fresh or frozen berries is good too, and try cucumber! It's very refreshing.
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    the only ones that taste decent to me are Dasani's.