Anyone having a hard time reaching 1200 cal?

Options
124»

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Mainly due to being extra careful (too careful?) around intake. I also think not planning meals ahead of time is also causing this for me - so I'm always focussed on low-calories per meal instead of looking at the 'big picture'...

I'm not seeing any negative symptoms from trending around the 800-1000 calories a day - unless I've burned more than that in exercise, then I get mentally and physically exhausted.

Anyway - a bit of forward planning should help if you're seeing this as a problem.

Yes, they take awhile to come on. But hey, your body. I'm not going to waste my time caring about it more than you do.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Not every single overweight person eats all the time you know.

They all eat too much, though, and the idea that they suddenly can't eat enough is ludicrous.

It's a mental error. They think of calorie-dense foods as "bad" and avoid them because they're inherently "fattening."

Yup. How often do you see someone who starts a diet immediately eating salads for lunch and dinner at a couple hundred calories a pop? Far too many.
  • morganmcclure75
    Options
    From my observations, the only people that really have trouble reaching 1200 calories are the ones that are focused on eating nothing but low-calorie foods and try to avoid things they consider "junk food".

There is no issue with reaching the 1200 calorie mark itself, because if there was then many of us wouldn't be here in the first place. You just need to reassess your food choices and consider adding in some more calorie dense foods to your day.

I definitely agree with this, I rarely have a problem reaching 1200 calories, if I did its because I skipped a meal or focused too much on calorie intake. The kinds of calories you take in and the burning of them is the most important thing.
  • comalua1
    Options

it's a process. maybe you've forgotten, since you've been trying to lose weight for so long.

Nice assumption there

Yes of course it is a learning process, and by reading the answers in this thread OP is learning. That being said its kind of common sense that it is ok to eat that higher calorie stuff that you are a bit scared of if you can't get to the amount of calories you want by sticking with low calorie things.

yeah... we kinda don't know the calories yet, eh?
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think i might have a hard time reaching 8000+ but probably would still be pretty easy

anyways

Plz Go OP
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I am going to be controversial, but if you truly really truly cannot eat up to 1200 cals, I would check just how much protein you are eating, because protein fills you up. ED people frequently fill up on lots of fibrous veggies and fat free yoghurt to combat hunger and thus net very low calories consistently.
  • lindabreve
    lindabreve Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Nuts. Seeds. Avocado. Chocolate. Cheese. Olive oil. "Junk food"
    All these things can add a good boost of calories without making you feel bloated.

Wait. None of that is "junk food".

What are you saying?
  • lindabreve
    lindabreve Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    They are not calling nuts, seeds ,etc junk food. Mearly listing things that could add calories separated by periods and including "junk food" as one of types of food to add calories.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options

it's a process. maybe you've forgotten, since you've been trying to lose weight for so long.

Nice assumption there

Yes of course it is a learning process, and by reading the answers in this thread OP is learning. That being said its kind of common sense that it is ok to eat that higher calorie stuff that you are a bit scared of if you can't get to the amount of calories you want by sticking with low calorie things.

yeah... we kinda don't know the calories yet, eh?
    I am aware that people new to this won't know the calories of everything, hence I did give some suggestions to OP in my first post.
    I was merely responding to the person (not the OP) getting miffed at people giving responses because we don't understand how hard it is to reach that amount of calories when she states that up until very recently she purposely avoided specific foods because she knew they were high calorie, even though she is having trouble reaching minimum calories.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    obsidian, i see that you're been here a while. i, for one, have never had to lose weight before. i could polish a double quarter pounder and still be fine, because i was so active. if counting calories and choosing a healthier lifestyle is new to a person, as it may be to the OP, it can be tricky until you get the hang of what's okay.

for example... it's been only two weeks, but two WHOLE weeks i've had a pack of 280 calorie bagels in my freezer... i was scared to eat one. this morning for breakfast i slapped about 3 TBSP of cream cheese on that sucker and ate it.

Your last comment was inappropriate.
    Thanks, I think so to.
    In my case its actually not true, I came off a bulk only a couple of weeks ago, but had it been true that would've been quite a demoralising nasty statement to someone who has been struggling with weight for a long time. Not a very nice intent.
  • lblauv1
    lblauv1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    yes. I have the same problem. I have 5 small meals per day and am still coming up between 200 - 400 calories short. and believe me, I log EVERYTHING! In order to get those extra calories I sometimes have a spoon full of peanut butter a little after dinner. However I am open to other ideas as well.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    yes. I have the same problem. I have 5 small meals per day and am still coming up between 200 - 400 calories short. and believe me, I log EVERYTHING! In order to get those extra calories I sometimes have a spoon full of peanut butter a little after dinner. However I am open to other ideas as well.

Ice cream. Everyone loves ice cream.
  • julialuvsmovies
    Options
    It is almost 9:00 PM. I had as much as I wanted to eat today: 1 hard-boiled egg, a banana, a large serving of Texas chili and 2 servings of creamer with the2 cups of coffee I had this morning. I am "up" to 543 calories today! My husband and I walked to the store (my usual exercise) and bought sushi and I can eat some yogurt but it ids already 9:00 and I might get up to 100 calories. How dangerous is this if I keep it up? Yesterday I could only eat 1060 calories.
  • Whambam087
    Options
    Nope! Absolutely no trouble reaching 1200 calories lol. Very easy to go over that
  • Shahelene
    Shahelene Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm having the same problem, and Ieven though in this short time I'm almost addicted to logging in. I will say I'm new to this and I have learned so much, but it can still be a bit confusing. One thing that I'm uncertain of is after you eat your 1200 calories well in my case 1400 is ok for you to not eat back your calories if you were active. Or do you have to eat those back as well to lose weight?
  • Synamin
    Synamin Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you slip into ketosis by regularly not eating enough, it can really kill your appetite.