What to do for shakiness/hunger?

Options

Replies

• MJH2
    MJH2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Boy, I hate it when that happens!

What works for me is to maintain 5-6 small meals with protein per day, so breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner and sometimes a snack. I watch the nutrition summary each day of what I've eaten to tell me more than the calories I am taking in, although I try to hit my targeted calories. I always strive to be at or above the protein and at or below the carbs/sugars.

Best of Luck, we're here to support you.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Look in Guyton's Textbook of Medical Physiology. Use the index.

I am not going to tell you what my background is, because that is as bad as testimonials. That is as bad as saying that "I am a nurse and this sounds like BS."
    Well, look it up. Be a scientist.
    Do some research.
    And the ball is in your court. People fast all the time and do great. People skip breakfast with no glucose problems.
    The brain needs glucose and over 600 million years of physiologic evolution has developed a system where glucose levels are maintained adequately to support brain function.
    And there is a huge psych overlay to our perception of hunger, and the whole concept of weight loss.

Steve,

With all due respect, all of your posts in this conversation, including this one, are filled with generalizations and come across as condescending.

Stating your background when making such adamant assertions that low glucose is never dangerous (if indeed that is what you mean) is appropriate. But, just quoting a textbook and saying "use the index doesn't cut it.

I used to work in the healthcare industry, and I know for a fact that low sugar can lead to a coma, and even possibly death. People in this very thread have shared their experiences with low blood sugar and what they did to take care of themselves around that. Are they wrong? I've had plummeting blood sugar which included cold sweats and shaking and and have had to eat to bring it back up. Am I wrong?
    My point is that people who are trying to lose weight should not think that their stomach always has to be filled with something in order to prevent disastrous hypoglycemia.
    That just isn't going to happen in the normal, healthy adult.
    This is the silliest thing I've heard. So, a person should just sit there and shake and wait to see which way their blood sugar is going to go?
    And once they start to eat, then they might eat, and eat, and eat. Learned behavior.
    No. Learned behavior around food is a whole other issue. It has nothing to do with eating properly to prevent sugar levels from dropping OR eating in order to bring low blood sugar up.
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    The OP has stated that upping her protein provided her with some relief, so she's gotten some assistance.

Steve098 continues to give recklessly poor advice...He is not a doctor, does not know the OP, basis his arguments on stereotypes he holds about obese individuals, advocates ignoring human physiology and insists on contradicting people who advise the OP to seek advice from actual physicians. There is no reason to entertain anything he has added to this thread.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I'm only awake right now because my puppies woke me up lol and I haven't read all of the responses. However, I would suggest a couple of things....

Firstly, if you're hungry - especially to that degree - eat food. I don't understand "and I wasn't supposed to eat until dinner." If you need to have a snack to keep you from derailing, then do. A little protein, fat, and/or fiber will go a long way toward helping you to feel full for longer, and I would suggest eating portions of each throughout the day. Just watch to make sure they fit your calorie budget.

Also key for me is choosing lots of moderately-caloried foods, as well as smaller portions of whatever else I work in. This means I can eat plenty of food so as not to feel hungry (because the lower calorie nature of some of my choices doesn't use up my calories so fast) and yet I have room for other things, too. If I were eating more of the calorie-dense foods at a sitting, then I would be hungry in the later part of the day, which - for me - is when I prefer to eat the most.

If for whatever reason, I'm just unusually hungry, then I'm going to make it work by filling up on things that fit my calorie budget and I have made a point of seeking out lots of new things that I genuinely love and that fall into that category. I don't feel deprived. I would never be able to persist with my new habits if I had to be hungry all the time. Hand in hand with that, if I want pizza for dinner, then those same foods mean I'll have the opportunity to leave room for it.

Stay well-hydrated. This was especially valuable to me in the very beginning, while I was still getting used to not having a lot of heavy food in my belly all the time. It didn't take long to adjust to the new ways, but lots of water did me great favors. Doesn't have to be plain water, but that's just what I like. Can't drink whiskey all day. lol And now that it's more of a habit, I can definitely feel the difference both in my appetite and in my body if I'm a low for a day in terms of hydration.

You will adjust to eating a different way. This will all come into balance for you as your body gets used to the changes and as you learn more about what works for you. But don't fall into the trap of thinking that deprivation or hunger mean you're successful. Fill up on veggies or whatever fits your goals. Eat protein, fat, and fiber to help you stay full longer - and eat often, but watch your calories/portions. Drink plenty. Move more as you're able to start working that in, not only for the inherent benefits of the exercise itself, but because you earn more calories that way if you choose to eat them (or part of them) back.

You can do this. And you can even the new, healthier habits you adopt. Give yourself time, learn what works for you, celebrate your successes, and don't give up. Take care.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all for the information, suggestions and sharing your experiences. I did some more research and yes, I do believe my calories are set too low. MFP has me set to 1200 calories which isn't a lot considering I have only been cutting back for a few days and was previously eating way more than 1200 calories a day (and eating lots of sugary snacks - i.e. halloween candy). I took your suggestions and have upped my calories to 1310 for now (and will possibly up more if I continue to feel so hungry or start to lose to fast). I am also going to stock up on some protein bars and other portable sources of protein for snacks. And I will try to eat more protein along with balanced carbs.

This morning I had 1 egg scrambled + 2 egg whites and it is sticking with me much better than yesterdays breakfast meal of a banana/cereal. I also need to try to eat when i feel hungry and not let myself get to that shaky stage. I just had my blood tested and everything was normal. If shakiness continues I will follow up with my Dr.

Thanks again to you all for your thoughts and advice.

Oh, and in the future I will open my food diary. I guess I didn't realize it was not open. :)

Good for you. All good points to take away from this. And, yeah, I personally do great with eggs or egg whites for breakfast. Cereal to me is only for late-night snacks! lol
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Eat

????
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Can't be bothered with the arguments on this thread be they invalid or valid.

Be sure to have set a reasonable deficit and that you are getting adequate nutrients, staying hydrated and adequate sleep

OP here are some links with the info needed for setting up your calorie intake and macos correctly...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Understanding terminology and acronyms on MFP...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069278-acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6

Some info about overdoing it or under-eating...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

Lastly when seeking advice it is helpful to release relevant info such as calorie intake/ activity levels etc

As far as medical concerns if or when they arise seeking professional help is best...but I would hazard a guess you are at too high deficit, which is extremely common with new users of MFP.

Think sustainable and healthy.

ETA: As far as meal timing goes...

* If eating more frequently makes it easier to control/reduce calories, it will help you to lose weight/fat.
    * If eating more frequently makes it harder to control/reduce calories, or makes you eat more, you will gain weight.
    * If eating less frequently makes it harder for you to control/reduce calories (because you get hungry and binge), it will hurt your efforts to lose weight/fat.
    * If eating less frequently makes it easier for you to control/reduce calories (for any number of reasons), then that will help your efforts to lose weight/fat

Or in other words, personal preference. (courtesy of SideSteel)
  • marts99
    Options
    I think we do have to embrace the feeling of hunger a little bit. For those of us who overeat and are overweight, we have forgotten what being hungry feels like. It is good to remind ourselves that our hunger is there as a signal and we should appreciate our bodies do give us signals if we listen to it - just as feeling shaky is a signal.

It is great to see the support and encouraging comments!
  • JudieJudes
    JudieJudes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    ... eat more :flowerforyou:
  • imzadi481
    imzadi481 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    This happens to me if I don't eat enough. I figured out that, for me, multiple smaller meals a day is what helps prevent that.

For example, I eat at 8am, 11am, 2:30pm and 6pm. I also have a snack post workout/ before bed. Those times are approximate, but they keep the shakiness away.

Make sure you eat enough :)
  • socrates02
    socrates02 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    EAT!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I think we do have to embrace the feeling of hunger a little bit. For those of us who overeat and are overweight, we have forgotten what being hungry feels like. It is good to remind ourselves that our hunger is there as a signal and we should appreciate our bodies do give us signals if we listen to it - just as feeling shaky is a signal.

It is great to see the support and encouraging comments!

Agreed. There is nothing wrong with feeling just plain old hungry. For me, it's not necessary for me to eat every time I feel a hunger pang.

Yesterday I was at a meeting and I was feeling just a bit hungry. I couldn't wait to get it over with so I could eat my lunch, which I'd brought with me. I could have eaten during the meeting but I decided not to. Also, I'd had my protein snack a few hours earlier (nuts) and simply wanted to wait.

However, had I had any symptoms of blood sugar falling- shaking, cold sweat, a bit bleary feeling in the head-I would have eaten at least eaten part of my sandwich. However, chances are I would not have a had a blood sugar drop because I eat six small meals a day to keep my blood sugar level. It's what I've learned works for me.

Food takes darned good, but it's basic purpose is to fuel our bodies. :smile:
  • joolsmitchell
    joolsmitchell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Plan your daily meals in advance if you can and maybe have more (but smaller) meals spread over the day.
  • codagene
    codagene Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Seems like you're having a carb meltdown, been there and done that! Carbs=sugar, start removing carbs from your diet a little at a time. When you do it all at once, it will feel like you are going through withdrawal. My suggestions are listed below:

Rid your house of all the junk food, pre-packaged items and unhealthy food! (Have a Food Funeral) This is not healthy for you or your family so don't feel bad about getting rid of it! Donate it to a local food shelter, a neighbor who maybe having a rough time, or church.

Stock up on fresh fruit/veggies, blueberries, raspberries, apples, etc...Kale, Carrots, tomatoes.....Make a smoothie for dessert! Use Greek Yogurt!

First week: remove candy, cookies and cake, pies, desserts etc. remove chips, sauces, dips and processed foods (packaged meals and canned foods).

Second week: Replace all white items for whole wheat: Whole Wheat Pasta, Whole Wheat Bread, Brown Rice
  • kshai
    kshai Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Coconut water may help. Check calories per serving before purchasing. Different brands calorie count maybe alot higher than others.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Steve,

There you go with those darned absolutes again. :wink:

Nobody said you are going to get a hypoglycemic crisis if you skip a meal. The original question asked was what to do when you have not eaten in awhile and end up getting the shakes, which indicates a fall in blood sugar. Not a crisis, but a fall in blood sugar.

You eat--no, not pig out--but eat something. That will bring your blood sugar up. Then, if you're at work or at a meeting or anywhere you just happen to be, it takes a few for your sugar to level out and you're no longer shaking, have those cold sweats, and are foggy-headed. How do I know this? Because I've had low blood sugar problems in the past. I don't anymore because I eat-no, not pig out-but eat six small meals a day.

The best to you, Steve. :wink:
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Options
    Steve098, this thread is about the OP's physiological response, not the cultural constructs you hold in relationship to weight.

All life is built on a series of chemical reactions. When reactions are altered or out of balance self-sustaining chemical systems will compensate. If the system can't access the appropriate molecules/chemicals the reaction will break down or cease. Major physiological alarms like shaking, dizziness and physical instability are signs that we need to fix something in the chemical reaction quickly as it is starting to deteriorate and the body can't compensate.

You have no way to know if glucose is a problem for the OP or not, except her self reports. Her self-report was of a physiological reaction. Her follow up indicated that eating a different macro composition the following day resulted in a better physiological outcome. The OP's self reports indicate that providing more appropriate molecules (food) resolved the issue. Cultural critique is the opposite of helpful in this scenario.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    People have to get used to being a little hungry.

Thee's a HUGE difference between being "a little hungry" and being so hungry you have the shakes.

Quit being so daft.
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Options
    Steve you just said yourself that you don't know what anyone's glucose level is without the proper tool. Yet you troll on. I think you have demonstrated clearly to anyone with good sense, why it would be unwise to entertain your "ideas" in this thread.
  • arendiva
    arendiva Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I would pack some veggies to bring to work with you. having an extra 100 calories of veggies a day is far from a tragedy and if it will be the alternative to you falling off the wagon it will be all the more worth it. I find that drinking glasses of very cold iced water also helps satisfy hunger in between meals.