Running injury?

Options
I've been running 10 miles per week on a treadmill for a month now so I've racked up some miles. On Saturday night at around 11pm I was bored indoors so decided to run for the first time outside. I ran for 25 minutes (No idea on mileage) and felt GREAT.

I mean really good. I wanted to carry on but thought ill stop now and do this 3/4 nights per week. I thought of a spot where I'd stop just outside my flats which I did. The moment I stopped my left knee felt 'different'. I really don't know how to explain it but it was the SECOND I stopped running. Yesterday and today (So 24 and 36 hours after the run) my left knee 'clicks' with every step I take. When I bend it and then straighten it again it clicks. There's no pain as such just a lot of clicking.

What do I do? Just rest?

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Should add that I've had no problems on the treadmill and this is the first time I've run outside.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Awesome running!

Rest, stretch, swim, and if you don't already, consider strengthening your quads and hamstrings. If it doesn't feel better see a professional.

If walking feels ok I would suggest this too.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Start slow when you tradition outdoors. It's totally different. I'd rest a couple says then try a walk/run outside.
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    Well first congrats on deciding to run outdoors. It really is a different experience. My make sure you are stretching really well. The impact on your joints outdoors is very different from a treadmill. If you start to feel pain, ice it. If you feel pain for more than 4 days you need to see a DR. I've learned that from experience and make sure you have the right shoes.
  • Newbeginnings46
    Newbeginnings46 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    totally agree with JenRun1. Happy running
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Google "Runner's World - Build a Better Knee" and do those strengthening exercises religiously. Also, there's a really good stretch workout by user "FitnessBlender" on YouTube called "Yoga inspired stretch and cooldown." Those two things minimize running injuries for me.
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Awesome running!

Rest, stretch, swim, and if you don't already, consider strengthening your quads and hamstrings. If it doesn't feel better see a professional.

If walking feels ok I would suggest this too.

This. Running outside is completely different. I am an outdoor runner and find treadmills too easy. It's a lot more impact so you have to make sure your technique is right and your knees are strengthened so do tighten the muscles around them, your quads, hamstrings and glutes. Make sure you warm up and cool down well. Good luck!
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Great advice thanks everyone. Why did I feel great running and the pain only stopped when I finished my run?
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Great advice thanks everyone. Why did I feel great running and the pain only stopped when I finished my run?

Endorphins, my friend. Also, don't increase your mileage more than 10% a week.
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    True. I was enjoying it so much it wasn't til I got home that I even realised I was sweating! The wind, not too hot not too cold was beautiful.
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    I've not run for 3 days and it feels more normal now so I'm gonna try again tomorrow.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I would guess that you have a treadmill stride that you are naturally applying to road running. Try picking up your feet a tiny bit more to get a full range of motion with you knee. Also, the treadmill has a softer impact than the road and will be more forgiving on shoes that aren't best for your gait/strike/pronation. Have you been fitted for shoes?
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Your right although I can't seem to maintain my treadmill speed on road???? I run a bit slower on the road is this normal?

I haven't been fitted no I'm wearing trainers that ARE running trainers but not fitted for me specifically. Ill continue using them on the treadmill but maybe need to get fitted before running on road?
  • CarmineDeMarco
    CarmineDeMarco Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Roy, the "experts" differ, but many believe that road running is more strenuous than treadmill running because you need to actually propel yourself down the road by pushing off more with your feet. There's also the headwinds issue that is often raised. That's why you'll see recommendations where they'll tell you to set the treadmill incline at 1% or thereabouts to more accurately simulate road running. I've done both, and have always felt that treadmill running was easier for me. As others here have suggested, i would concur that you should just take it easier - slower pace, reduced distance - as you transition. Happy running!
  • deniseLday
    deniseLday Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    in addition to the excellent points raised above, i would also suggest that by running outside you are bringing into play muscles that were not used as much on the treadmill.
    the treadmill is a 'safe' environment where the terrain never changes (apart from the incline)
    as others have said, wind back the intensity and the distance and take it easy. dont run above 'conversational pace' for the time being.
    in addition, have a look and see if there is a parkrun near you http://www.parkrun.org.uk/ these are free 5k events every saturday at 9am all over the UK. they are for all abilities and you will meet some like minded people!
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I've been running 10 miles per week on a treadmill for a month now so I've racked up some miles. On Saturday night at around 11pm I was bored indoors so decided to run for the first time outside. I ran for 25 minutes (No idea on mileage) and felt GREAT.

I mean really good. I wanted to carry on but thought ill stop now and do this 3/4 nights per week. I thought of a spot where I'd stop just outside my flats which I did. The moment I stopped my left knee felt 'different'. I really don't know how to explain it but it was the SECOND I stopped running. Yesterday and today (So 24 and 36 hours after the run) my left knee 'clicks' with every step I take. When I bend it and then straighten it again it clicks. There's no pain as such just a lot of clicking.

What do I do? Just rest?

there are a few things that could be happening, One you could have a weakened IT band if you haven't properly stretched or cross trained/strengthened this part of your leg. The IT band is what keeps your knee in place. This could have started on the treadmill but since the treadmill does part of the work for you, it may not have been an issue at first. But since you went outside you were forced to do all the work and the IT band became even more aggravated. You can google for appropriate stretches. Also make sure you are cross training and alternating your distances/paces/routines. Do short runs during the week with 1 long run on the weekend. Also make sure to properly cross-train and rest. Some of the biggest new runner mistakes is maintaining the same distance at the same pace for all time. You make no improvements by doing this. Also as everyone said before, get fitted for a proper pair of running shoes. All running stores do it for free. Give up the treadmill too - if you are planning on running a race at any point, you can't control what race day looks like and need to be prepared for everything.
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Such good advice thank you. I'm going to get fitted tomorrow after work as I finish early at 2pm. Ill google running stores in London shortly.

I do try to alternate my speed and distances on treadmill throughout the run and on different days but ill take on board what you've all said.