wii fit or scales??

Options
Hi guys, I usually weigh myself once a week on my wii fit board and have noticed the weight can fluctuate quite alot by up to half a stone!
Could this be because I am using it on the carpet or is it just rubbish?

Would normal bathroom scales be better and if so, are there any you would recommend?

Replies

• jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I only have my wii fit board and notice that it can evenvery from game to game to scale. The best I've read out there is that you need to be consistant with weighing. I weigh myself on the wii around the same time once a week and have it on the same surface. the weight might not be accurate but I believe that the weight it tracks that I'm losing is.

Early morning is the best time to weigh yourself. Before you eat breakfast.

hope this helps.
  • debbiepringle
    debbiepringle Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I weight myself daily when I first get up on my wii. Consistency is all that matters. The weight loss is the same. I notice that my wii board is about 2 lbs lower than the one at the YM, but yet it is consistent on my weight loss daily. So use your wii and be happy because the consistency of the loss is what matters. Have a great day.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I think scales. I don't have a wii but my friend does and she showed me her weight at the start of one of the games. switched it off then did it all again and there was 4lbs difference in the space of about 15 minutes. The wii may be good but you can't lose 4lbs in 15 minutes unless you chop something off lol so the wii is not accurate enough for my liking

One thing i will add is place your scales somewhere where they can stay. Dont move them at all. That way you will know if you have lost or gained and that it cannot be down to a slight difference in surface
  • R3awak3n
    R3awak3n Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    get a proper scale and dont rely on a video game. Specially when you can pick up an excellent scale for arround 50 bucks. I bought a OMRON and its nothing but excellent, super accurate and it measures more than just your weight.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I usually weigh myself once a week on my wii fit board and have noticed the weight can fluctuate quite alot by up to half a stone!

Really?! Wow, that's quite surprising to me. I don't own a scale, all I have is my Wii Fit. I have really run it through the ringer regarding accuracy- weighed myself over and over in the span of only a few seconds, under different profiles, had my husband weigh in the middle of my weighing, and to be honest, I was SHOCKED at how consistent it was. Generally, IF there is a difference at all (no matter how hard I try to trick it, it seems to give me the same exact number!) it is only a few fractions of a pound different. That's pretty darn good.

Not only that, but I lost a decent amount towards the end of the summer and I didn't believe it. It was a 5 lb. loss in a pretty short period of time. Just so happened that I was going to the doctor's to be weighed for a contest that I was a part of the very next day. I thought that it would show me how accurate my Wii was. I weighed only 1.4 lbs. more than my Wii had told me. Taking into consideration that I was wearing clothes at the doctor's (when I wasn't at home) and slight variations on both scales, I thought that was pretty close!!!!

It did it again recently where it registered a 5 lb. loss that I wasn't expecting. I've been weighing myself multiple times a day every day for the past week to see if it would change and by how much (including having my husband weigh in between my weighs and weighing in on his profile!) and while it has fluctuated a LITTLE, it really is not much. It always stayed within a lb. or two of what it told me that day- but to be honest, I think that that extra weight had to do with me not eating well and eating too much, not the scale.

Remember to always weigh at the same time of day and wearing the same clothes. Things like that can really throw you off. You can gain a decent amount throughout the course of the day, and clothes will matter (especially if you are wearing something heavier). And you can also gain a lot during your period, so it may look like you've gained half a stone when it is really just because of the bloating and that will go away.

I really trust the Wii, at this point. And like others said, the accuracy of the weight itself doesn't matter as much as the accuracy of the amount lost. Just keep it consistent and you'll be ok. =)

However, I do not have mine on the carpet, and I could imagine that that might seriously throw things off. You should never weigh on carpet, even with a normal scale, so I could imagine that it would have the same effect on the Wii.

I think there are a lot of variables and it could very easily be things on your end that might be throwing it off so much, and not necessarily the machine itself. Saying to not trust it because it is a video game is like saying that you shouldn't trust a digital scale either because it is run by the same technology. You don't have to be old-fashioned and buy a scale, this really does work just fine. =)
  • Equilibrium
    Equilibrium Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have both, and have found that the Wii is as accurate as my good-quality digital scale. I have my Wii set on a hard surface, though, not carpet, so that might be the cause of your variability. If you can put the Wii fit board on something hard, I wouldn't worry about buying a scale. However, if you don't have the option of a hard surface for it, you might be better off with a scale that you can put on a non-carpeted surface.
  • nicjane113
    Options
    thanks for all the feedback, I think it might be to do with having it on the carpet. I think I might get a board or something to set it on and see if this helps and if not, resort to scales then.