Overeating

Options
How do you stop over eating? What helps you manage it? I'm a stress eater and even a bored eater. It's awful! How do I get past this crazy habit?

Replies

• redheadedgal
    redheadedgal Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It's a mind over matter thing.................and don't feel bad, because I haven't conquered it yet either! I so wish it was an easy answer.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    1. Find something else to do
    2. Remember my goals

Everyone is different though. I stress eat, bored eat, happy eat, sad eat. You name it it's a reason to eat for me :) However, I try not to keep snacks around for that very purpose. If I'm bored at work or at home I go for a walk or move around and do something different to get my mind off of it.

When I'm having a particularly rough day I do try to remember my goals and WHY they matter to me. I check out the success stories here all the time to realize that any of us can get to where we want to be.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I was never able to get over it. I have been a compulsive over eater ever since Junior High. I'm 53 now. The only thing that has ever truly helped me is God. Plain and simple. I finally got to the point that I truly wanted His help, and He has been helping me.
  • iowasweetie101
    Options
    I would like to know, as well. I eat for comfort, when I'm bored or any other time, really. I have lost 62 lbs in the last 7 months. I have about 40 more lbs to go. I have done very well but there are day, like last night, and today that it's too overwhelming and it takes over. I typically overeat when I've restricted myself too much or not had enough cheat meals. I try to eat something healthy like fruit or protein bars if I choose to eat when I don't need to be. It's a huge struggle and I wish I had more to help but I am still working on it.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    LCHF. I thought I was an emotional eater but it turns out I'm not -- for me my insane appetite and hunger was sugar/carb induced. It took about three weeks of eating low carb for my appetite to return to normal and I lost that compulsion to eat constantly whether I was physically hungry or not.

It's been almost two years now and I'll never go back to an everything in moderation approach again. Well, I do eat everything in moderation but moderation to me means special occasions and holidays now not daily, weekly or even monthly indulgences. It's an extremely restrictive diet -- even though it doesn't feel restrictive to me at all -- and not for everyone but here's a great beginners guide if anyone is interested:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
  • BozGirl
    BozGirl Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    How do you stop over eating? What helps you manage it? I'm a stress eater and even a bored eater. It's awful! How do I get past this crazy habit?

I'd over-eat until I was sick. It took a couple of years before I was able to change, but I can now manage my over-eating by reminding myself that I will feel bloated, tired and sick if I don't stick to normal portions. I also think exercise is a much better stress reliever than food, although it was hard for me to change my habit from eating to exercise (again, it took a couple years of regular exercise before I realized that a good run after a bad day felt much, much better than eating three pieces of cheesecake).
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    keep busy. put a lock on the fridge?
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have had no luck with this issue. And if I restrict myself, it's much worse. So, I do the best I can and plan my meals, cooking in advance what to take to work the following day. I keep a variety of fresh fruit and veggies around. Maybe a little bland for some, but a rice cake or two helps to appease my need to munch, and is around 40 calories/cake. Love a small amount of peanut butter on an apple, or celery. Many times, all I need is a hard boiled egg to satisfy/hold me over/fill me up. I am still losing weight and inches, so I guess I am not doing too bad. Well, I just joined this site two weeks ago, so counting everything for the first time in my life and exercising regularly now is quite an adjustment. Maybe this issue will subside as I progress? Hopefully.