SOME ONE HELP ME WITH MY FAT CAT!

Options

Replies

• emartin17
    emartin17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    laser pen. the best $10 you can spend. run them 'till they pant. (and yes, cats can pant)
    ^^this!!! and yes cut back on food. there is no reason to see your vet- they will give you the schpeil about changing the food to a special dietary one.
    I would just recommend that you switch the cats off purina, that stuff is made of crap.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My sister's cat was getting fat. The vet told her to switch from dry to wet food. It worked. Don't try to get the weight off fast, though. Quick, dramatic weight loss can be fatal to cats. Something about how their liver metabolizes. I'm too lazy to Google it.
  • lydbug08
    lydbug08 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    yea, 10 lbs really isnt all that much. i have a fat cat too. he was a 27 pounder, then i changed his food to higher end food and restricted how much i was giving him. he was on evo brand, but then they had all these recalls so my vet recommended nature's variety instinct dry kibble. i have him on 1/4 cup twice a day and he gets about 2 tbs wet food as a treat. he also gets a few kibbles of greenies and temptations treats, but i really try to limit those w/ him. he's lost 5 lbs, but he still has a ways to go. it's hard w/ cats, like my vet explained, some cats just have slower metabolisms. i know you dont have money for a vet, but i agree w/ the person who posted there could be an underlying problem. get her checked out, but truthfully, at 10 lbs, i wouldnt worry unless she keeps putting on weight.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    The New York Times this weekend had an editorial on the obesity epidemic in this country. It said that a little known aspect of this epidemic is that our pets and our lab animals appear to be getting fatter over time too. This editorial said that, as far as the experts can tell, this is happening even though the animals really aren't eating more than they used to.
    The point of the editorial was that the rising level of obesity is a bit more complicated, probably, than just a lack of willpower and bigger soda drinks.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    My sister's cat got really fat, wasn't even able to jump much and was mean. She put it on a diet, lost a bunch of weight and he is much more confident now. He has a fair amount of loose skin but is much more playful.

Funny, sounds a lot like humans. :laugh:
  • cmw822
    Options
    First of all, stop feeding your cats garbage food. Go get them something that has real food in the ingredients (not "by-products") and preferably grain-free.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Are you separating them when they eat? Are you watching them? How do you know they aren't finishing their food, then eating one of the other cat's food as well?
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    disappointed.gif
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Your cat's weight doesn't sound like a problem but the crud you're feeding her certainly is. Cats don't naturally eat carbs but four out of the first five ingredients in Purina are grains. Find a food with actual meat in it. It might help keep her at the weight you want and she will definitely be healthier.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    First of all, stop feeding your cats garbage food. Go get them something that has real food in the ingredients (not "by-products") and preferably grain-free.

Any suggestions for brands?
  • Magdaloonie
    Magdaloonie Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've been worried about my chunky girl, too. There are two others and they all have their special ways in a house with no interior doors except the bath so we free feed. We just lost our oldest to a stroke but she was also toothless for quite a while. That meant only canned food for her which meant some for all of them. I think my chunky Stella just likes it too much. We'll be able to cut that back a bit but I am also starting regular workouts for her. She's somewhat indifferent to the laser pointer but a snakey toy on a wand is irresistible! I just copied down relevant calorie info for both canned and dry to take shopping, too. I have no intention of losing another one any sooner than I have to.
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Without seeing the cat, my first thought is that the cats are eating the kitten chow. It's way higher in calories than the cat chow. Also, it's unlikely that 3 cats are maintaining or gaining weight on a half a cup of cat chow in total per day unless you're measuring with huge cups. A half cup of Cat Chow is 206 kcals total. The RMR of the 17 lb cat alone is higher than that.

Is Cat Chow the best food? Nope. Will the fact that it isn't nutritionally optimal somehow make a cat gain weight in a calorie deficit? Nope. Cats, while good at ignoring most rules, have to obey energy balance laws too. My day is filled with clients telling me all about how their overweight cat or dog only eats a "little bit of food," but when I get them to measure it, the animal is almost always getting a surplus.

As for weight, weight is useless as a population measure in cats. It's like saying what's a good weight for a person? You need to know frame, breed, size, etc. Body condition scoring is the way we determine whether or not an animal is at a healthy weight. My Maine Coon is at an optimal weight at 14 lbs. My uncle's little domestic shorthair is obese at 11 lbs. If an otherwise healthy cat is so fat she has problems cleaning herself, she's probably not at a healthy weight.
  • lydbug08
    lydbug08 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

yes-- nature's variety instinct chicken meal. it comes in regular and wt control. there are different meat flavors also. i know rabbit is one. i cant remember the rest, but i dont pay attn bec i only get the chicken. blue freedom and core wellness also carry grain free. just walk thru the aisles at petsmart and look for the grain free brands. and call your vet--see what they recommend.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Are you separating them when they eat? Are you watching them? How do you know they aren't finishing their food, then eating one of the other cat's food as well?
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Your best bet is to read labels. Meat should be the first ingredient in a dry food and the first ingredient after water in a canned food. The best brand is the one with the best ingredients that your cat will actually eat.

Any canned food is probably better than the best dry food, but all-canned diets are not practical for a lot of people. If you are looking for dry, "Grain-free" is a big buzz-word right now, but like diet foods that play on trends for people, all are not equal. Some of the grain-free foods are actually not as good as some of the ones that use rice as a carbohydrate source. For example, I read the label of an expensive "grain-free" chicken and pea food the other day to discover that a good chunk of the protein in the food was coming from the peas and not the chicken. The food was also high carb. For a cat, this is less than ideal. The bulk of the protein should come from animal sources. If I were buying the food, I'd go with some sort of fowl or rabbit as the main protein source.
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Even some of the premium brands (I like Wellness) have rice in them so aren't strictly grain free but what you really want to avoid are corn, wheat and soy. The first two or three ingredients should be meat of some type (and not by-products). If you can get to Costco they actually have a pretty good food under their Kirkland brand that is reasonably priced.
  • sarah456s
    sarah456s Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    One of my cats was spayed at 6 months of age, and since then she's really packed on the pounds - she's now 12.5 pounds. The other two were spayed at 2 months of age, and are both OK (one is 8.5 pounds, one is 10.5 pounds). I did read something about how after spaying they are more likely to put on weight, but I also think that spaying after they've started puberty may alter more to do with their hormone balance than early spaying.

I feed them all grain free food, but the chunky one just clearly has a bigger appetite, and finishes off some of her sisters' portions. I have been thinking of cutting back the dry food, as the skinnier cat doesn't eat much of that anyway - she prefers wet food.

Edit: I use the Kirkland brand from Costco already mentioned. It seems like a pretty good ingredient list for the price.

Anyway, I feel your pain.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @aleggett321 and @callie006. I'll go read some labels. No Costco locally, nearest one's at least 150 miles away. :ohwell:
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    could be normal, could be thyroid. See the vet.
  • sugaraddict1180
    Options
    I feed my 12lb 16month old Wellness. She is actually a carboholic, which apparently is not normal for cats. I think its genetic since I love carbs too! Anyway, check out Wellness. My vet loves that I feed her that. She was getting wet food and crunchies twice a day, was down to wet food at supper and crunchies twice a day and is now reversed and gets wet food twice a day and a very small amount of crunchies (which has made her homicidal because she, again, is a carboholic!) He said she will probably lose a few on just the wet but he doesn't seem concerened about her weight. I think it depends on the type and build of the cat too