Twenty years old with a BMI of 57.

Options
Well not twenty yet, but I will be at the end of the month. I have been bigger all my life, but it hasn't caught up to me until now. Over the course of the last few nights I've had trouble getting to sleep because of what feels like chest pains. I'm only nineteen, I can't die yet! So I decided that it's time to get in shape, and this is the best time to do it. Starting today, I'm going to eat salad until I'm forty.

Replies

• Bluetrace24
    Bluetrace24 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good luck! It sounds like you have some strong motivation, and definitely more salads are a good strategy - but definitely not for every meal! There are lots of great resources for nutrition on here, so do your research and give yourself the tools and strategy you need to succeed.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Glad you found your motivation. Best thing you can do for yourself is to log EVERYTHING that goes into mouth...including vitamins, drinks, etc. This will give you an idea of where you're at and where you need to make your changes.

Be sure to check this helpful link out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

Best of luck to you!!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Good for you! No better day to get started than today.

I'm attempting to eat under my calorie goal. Tried low-carb for a while and was successful, but put most of the weight back on when I stopped eating that way.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • kabochakitty
    kabochakitty Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The biggest obstacle is to just NOT GIVE UP. It will be difficult at first. I had so many false starts before I finally found something that worked for me. Remember, you have to start a lifestyle change you'll be able to keep up your whole life. But this is your life and health we're talking about, so hang in there! It is so worth it!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    no need to go that drastic mate
    figure out what your TDEE is
    then do about 500 calories less than that daily

protein should be around 0.8gr/lb of body weight
    fat should be around 0.4gr/lb of body weight
    carbs can make up the rest of your calories

try that for about 4 weeks and then see where you are. make changes if necessary
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Happy to hear you've decided to make some changes to your life! Balanced and portioned meals with plenty of exercise is a great way to do it! Wishing you all the best! I know it's tough but don't lose hope.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    No need to eat salads every meal, but it would be a good idea to be seen by a doctor to make sure that you are cleared for exercise, etc.
  • TheBoldCat
    TheBoldCat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    good luck !
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Good luck, forget the salad and hit the protein sources.

My top 3 tips;
    1 - Don't do a "diet", use common sense for healthy choices and stick to the MyFitnessPal guidelines for calories
    2 - Lift weights. As you lose weight you'll want the lose fat and not muscle... unless you want to be thin and still wibbly.
    3 - Be consistent.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

There is some great information here. I would also recommend reading: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants

My main advice is to find people on the forums who provide solid information, and stalk them. Well, not literally. Maybe. But find out who knows what they're talking about, and listen to them. There's a lot of BS information out there, so it's a good idea to figure out who you can trust to provide good advice and information.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Well not twenty yet, but I will be at the end of the month. I have been bigger all my life, but it hasn't caught up to me until now. Over the course of the last few nights I've had trouble getting to sleep because of what feels like chest pains. I'm only nineteen, I can't die yet! So I decided that it's time to get in shape, and this is the best time to do it. Starting today, I'm going to eat salad until I'm forty.

Just stay in your calorie goals and eat all the food you love but try to fit in more salad and "healthy foods" I lost 20lbs the first month and it snowballed into a lifestyle of being athletic! It's amazing what you can do in a year if you put effort into it!

Also set your calorie goal no lower than 2000 calories and eat back those exercise calories when you start out!
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    While you are learning the ropes- an easy place to start is low sugar protein drinks. I am such a fan of those. When I don't have time to cook a nutritious meal - I can rely on my dynmatize protein drink to give me the protein my body needs, and do it quickly and for 106 calories. Its a really great cheat! When you have time to cook keep the following in mind - the less ingredients the better. The fancier the food - the harder it is to track what is in it - and to underestimate calories. Salt is not your friend, and the fresher the food, the better.
    That being said - I want to warn you about alcohol - I don't know if you are old enough to drink or not in your state - but stay away from alcohol at least most days. I have found is ruins my progress so I reserve it as a once a week thing and even then I only drink 1-2 drinks that are low calorie. It is NOT your friend. Good Luck. Be glad you are a guy- they seem to lose MUCH MORE QUICKLY!!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel... been there, done that.

My best advice to you would be to make small changes that add up over time... walk a little extra every day, eat more greens (like you mentioned), eat sweets not at all or just once a day, etc. It will all add up and before you know it, you'll be losing weight. Nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels! GOOD LUCK, you can do it! :)
  • StepAwayFromTheCupcake
    Options
    Congrats on making the decision to get healthy!! Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • cmw822
    Options
    Eating healthy is a great start. Add some exercise as well and it wouldn't hurt to visit a Dr and get a physical.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    No need to eat salads every meal, but it would be a good idea to be seen by a doctor to make sure that you are cleared for exercise, etc.

this lady is making sense!!

Welcome to MFP!
    You are just adorable and you seem so full of personality. You've made the first big step... deciding to change! Congrats and the best of luck to you!
  • guroprincess
    Options
    You should really tell your doctor about your chest pains. They could be a sign of a bigger problem.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Get a medical, and get the all clear from your gp before you diet. Best of luck!
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    Hey, Richie!
    I recommend that you do research on recommended ways to safely lose weight.
    A healthy menu isn't just about 'salad'.
    I follow the Paleo Lifestyle. I eat meat, eggs, and vegetables prepared
    with plenty of butter and olive oil. I enjoy fruit, too. This way of eating
    keeps your stomach and your taste buds thoroughly satisfied.
    You can get lots of good information and recommendations
    Paleohacks.com
    marksdailyapple.com

Recipes from these Facebook pages:
    DJFoodie--he started out at over 350 pounds!
    CivilizedCavemanCooking
    PaleOMG--she has youTube videos

I used the tools here on MyFitnessPal to figure out my Basic Metabolism Rate, or BMR,
    and my TDEE, or Total Daily Energy Expenditure.
    I am an older woman with arthritic knees and lower back pain,
    so I don't do exercise yet. So, I eat at my BMR, 1800 calories, which leaves me with a deficit
    from my TDEE. It's enough to allow me to lose more than 2 pounds per week
    from a starting weight of 315 in July.
    I also have my regular doctor and an endocrinologist monitoring my progress.

I recommend that you view this adventure as an education.
    It's a change in your lifestyle, not simply weight reduction.
    Diets end, and people regain their weight, even after a gastric bypass.
    When I was in my early 20's I lost about 70 pounds, and looked great.
    However, I had the wrong motivation. When my dream did not work out,
    I thought, "Then I'll just eat what I want!"
    I regained half the weight in a mere 6 months.
    It is 35 years later: I gained an additional 130 pounds.

As I spend time on MFP, I go to the forums for 'Success Stories' and Maintaining
    for inspiration.

Best wishes, Richie! I'd love a Friend Request from you.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Please don't think you have to eat salad for the next 20 years. That's just self-defeating and you won't be able to stick with it. Figure out your TDEE, eat everything you like, count the calories and make sure you're in a deficit every day. As time goes on you'll decide what you want to keep in your diet and what you can live without, and how you can eat more food for less calories.