EVENINGS!! *shake fist*

Options

Replies

• lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I keep frozen berries that I sometimes snack on at night when I just feel like eating a little something. They are sweet and cold and they take a while to eat, so it's kind of a nice and guilt-free way to snack after dinner.

I also tend to eat pretty late in the evening (usually 8 ish). I've found that I can have a reasonable sized snack at 4 or 5, but if I'm snacking after dinner, I just tend to continue to graze until I go to bed, so reversing the snack and dinner has worked for me.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Gum and after dinner mints work well for me. Or brush your teeth.
    I brush my teeth and paint my nails - you really can't open packets of anything with newly painted nails ( sorry boys, that's probably not a lot of help is it? ) :laugh:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I leave myself calories for after dinner snacking. I like to eat in the evening, sometimes quite a lot. I know this about myself, so I just allot the calories ahead of time and then I don't sweat it.

This :drinker:
  • mundaetraversa
    Options
    LOL...I miss pigouts, too. Once I am maintaining, maybe I can have one now and again!
  • hz_larson
    Options
    My problem isnt after dinner so much, as the hour or so when I get home from school and when I have dinner. I just come home and instantly want to snack. I know I am just using snacking as a distraction for the other things I need to do, like study, exercise, clean, etc. But it is really tough. Im glad to see other people have this sort of issue and all these tips are really helpful. Im going to try going on a walk as soon as I get home, or getting home and just getting some work done before dinner.
  • mundaetraversa
    Options
    Frozen berries! Great idea! I have a raspberry bush that I'm just eating from, but maybe I'll freeze those suckers and have some before bed. NOM
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I find stopping is a matter of will-power. I came to the realization that, if left to follow it's own desires, my body will not naturally try to get healthier. My mouth likes to taste delicious food and my stomach (and sometimes emotions) want to have a full stomach and if not for self-discipline it would continue out of control.

So, I have devloped the mindset that I will tell my body when it eats and how much it eats and if it doesn't like it, too bad! I know that might not work for everyone but for me, my lack of good health was due to lack of discipline...I had to mature and own that fact.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Frozen berries! Great idea! I have a raspberry bush that I'm just eating from, but maybe I'll freeze those suckers and have some before bed. NOM
    Frozen grapes are also divine :) And usually a lot cheaper when berries are out of season~
  • RachelN76
    RachelN76 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Evenings are totally my worst time. When the children are in bed, and I'm tired, but it's not bed time. And I'm bored.
    I comfort eat when I'm sad, happy, depressed, worried, tired, bored - everything!

I can be perfect during the day, but I don't know what happens to me in the evenings.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I eat my dinners very late... like, I guess about an hour before bed. So I never have a chance to snack after dinner. :D
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Weekends are my worst time, especially the afternoons into the evenings. I tend to stay up MUCH later, and therefore tempt myself with more unnecessary snacking.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes are also divine :) And usually a lot cheaper when berries are out of season~

Oooh that's good to know! I don't freeze fresh berries, but I actually should look into that. I just buy frozen packaged ones, so the price doesn't change too much based on season.
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    As an evening snack (after dinner and while trying to wind down after a long day) I'll have a cup of vanilla almond milk with a touch of cinnamon. Not only does it relax me (to the point that it puts me to sleep) but it satiates that sweet craving.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I get hammered on red.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have no time that is better or worse for me. I just plan out my meals, which includes an after dinner snack if I'm hungry. Six small meals a day works for me. I a l so keep room available in the calorie bank for those special dinners or deserts.

I am not on a diet so there is no reason to deprive myself, as long as I stay within my calorie allowance.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm the same with evenings, too. I try to save most of my calories for dinner time so that I don't feel so hungry since that's when I most crave food.
  • Trissyboo
    Trissyboo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Definitely not struggling with the evening but the weekends are horrible for me and please do not add travel on top of that. Definitely working on staying focused over the weekend
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I always needed a sweet item after dinner. I started drinking a cup of hot tea...usually a strong fruit flavor like apple cinnamon, peach, or apricot, etc with a bit of Stevia. ...then i would GO TO BED - even if it was 9:00 - brush teeth, put on jammies, get under the covers. It took about a month, but I broke the need to eat again after dinner - now I am back to staying up till 11:00!

Another thing that helped is moving dinner a little later...my daughter is 17 and never wants to eat with us and my husband likes a late dinner as well. So we just moved dinner from 6:30 to 7:30. I eat a fairly heavy snack at 5:00 then go to the gym. Eating late also cuts down on the stress of getting home from work and trying to eat immediately.
  • Cinloykko
    Cinloykko Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    weekends are a nightmare for me. about 2-3 days of out of control eating with family and friends.
    For each day, the hardest meal is breakfast. When I have school - i would have no time to eat or grab any fast junk i could find. for when I have the day off, i would tend to OVER eat for breakfast... sending me into a food coma of sorts until dinner comes around again.
  • dmbjewel
    dmbjewel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. But I do better on nights when I fill up on veggies (I eat a lot of lettuce, steamed broccoli, sautéed zucchini). And I mean fill up! If I'm super full from dinner, then I can't snack too much and a square of good quality dark chocolate satiates my sweet tooth. Also, the tooth brushing thing really works.