Understanding calorie counting?

Options
Okay, this might be a silly question, but it's one I've never quite understood.

Like here on MFP, it tells me I'm "over" the 1200 calorie limit, but how much do you have to focus on that? I mean, to have another banana today will put me even more over that limit, but it's a banana? Is it really so bad?

Or is 1200 a guide.... like to eat AT LEAST 1200?

I don't really know what I'm doing. I eat when I'm hungry, usually fairly healthy (gluten free & vegetarian)! Starting my 3rd week of T25 today but haven't noticed a change yet, thought I better make sure I was at least eating 1200, cause I know some days I don't quite reach that...

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    There are some really awesome stickies here on the forums (at the top)

This one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069268-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

Is great for new people who are still a little confused. Please read them =)
  • marko320
    marko320 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think most people would agree that more fruits and veggies are a good thing. Going over on something processed and sugary is not good.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I think most people would agree that more fruits and veggies are a good thing. Going over on something processed and sugary is not good.

doesn't actually matter that much.

Having said that if you are 1200 cals then unless you are a sedentary female of very short height, then the calorie target is likely to be too low.

Also, are you gluten intolerant or something? As there is nothing wrong with gluten for 99% of the population.
  • NoMeat101
    Options

doesn't actually matter that much.

Having said that if you are 1200 cals then unless you are a sedentary female of very short height, then the calorie target is likely to be too low.

Also, are you gluten intolerant or something? As there is nothing wrong with gluten for 99% of the population.

I was suggested to try going off gluten for a month at least to see if it helped a lot of my allergy issues - felt great, after about 2 months I had something not gluten free, I was sick all day. Accidentally had something a few months ago as well that turned out to not be gluten free as well, also very very sick. Definitely intolerant. Always assumed the feelings after eating were normal (bloating, hearing gas/bubble noises in my stomach etc).

As for the 1200 cals, that's what MFP told me. I was pretty sedentary before starting T25
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    An additional 3,500 calories = an additional 1 pound of weight.
    A reduction of 3,500 calories = a reduction 1 pound of weight.

if you break it down by the day.... 100 calories a day x 35 days = 3,500 calories.

so if you reduce your net calories by 100 calories today. and continue to do that for 35 days, ie next 5 weeks (ie 35 days), you should lose about 1 pound in 5 weeks.

That's explains why when you click on "Complete this entry" for today on your food diary, MFP has that little blurb about..."If every day were like today... You'd weigh xxx,x lbs in 5 weeks ."
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what it is—the more you decrease your calorie deficit each day, the slower the weight will come off. Just because you're eating something "healthy" doesn't mean it magically has calories that don't count. If you want to lose weight, you'll keep to your calorie limit. That said, you should make sure your calorie limit is appropriate for your age, height, weight, and activity level. That number will be different for every person, and "1200 calories" is an arbitrary number that sends people into paroxysms of righteous indignation. It might be an appropriate limit for you, but if you can lose a few pounds a month eating a higher calorie limit, you probably should.