How do you overcome being embarrassed to workout outside?

Options
So I kind of started running but I have only done it early in the morning. I am in college and live on campus so by the morning classes the place gets crowded. I am embarrassed to run outside when there are so many people around. I want to go running in the evenings just because I keep skipping days in the morning because I want to sleep and stay in my warm bed! So I feel evenings will be better to stick to. So how do I overcome the embarrassment and intimidation I feel? I know its irrational but has anyone else been through this? How did you go about it?

Replies

• ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    You just have to do it. I am a big girl and every time I go I am embarrassed. But I still go. I just suck it up and make myself do it. Good music helps. Enjoy nature. Don't let yourself or other people shame you into not exercising.

and it isn't irrational. Yes people will say noone is paying attention but they are. You know how I know? because I'm paying attention. Don't let it bother you. Damned if you do damned if you don't.
  • casyb360
    casyb360 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Evening runs when I was in college is what helped for me... Less people out and about on campus and yes, a good play list blasting in my ears! Make sure if you do have music, you are running in a safe area though! You don't want to tune out the world! :) Also, if you can get a running buddy, that always helps!
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Just do it:) Before I transferred, I had a loop I ran around our campus which is pretty big (go Big10!). The first few times were a little intimidating as there are a good number of students milling around in the evening, but after awhile it actually became a confidence boost. For me, working out is a mental thing. I got it in my head that people were watching me so that alone pushed me to run a little further or a little faster on days I wasn't feeling up to the challenge. I also tend to run in sports bras when it gets warm so that also was a motivator to keep up on my weight training and nutrition. At the end of the day, you're going farther than the kids sitting on the couch so don't be embarassed!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    What's more important.......your health or what you imagine other people are thinking?

I have a news flash for you, no one notices runners (unless they go out of their way to draw attention) we're invisible, just part of the urban landscape......get out and run and have fun!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Do you run with a gimpy limp, or have any other sort of disability that would make you embarrassed to run outside? Do you plan to run naked? If not, what's embarrassing about it? Go run. Nobody is going to look at you/laugh/care.
  • TattedInStilettos
    TattedInStilettos Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You doing this to benefit you not the ppl around you... if they looking let them and use it as motivation to run faster for longer
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    So I kind of started running but I have only done it early in the morning. I am in college and live on campus so by the morning classes the place gets crowded. I am embarrassed to run outside when there are so many people around. I want to go running in the evenings just because I keep skipping days in the morning because I want to sleep and stay in my warm bed! So I feel evenings will be better to stick to. So how do I overcome the embarrassment and intimidation I feel? I know its irrational but has anyone else been through this? How did you go about it?

the same way you get over ANYTHING you feel embarrassed about doing... by doing it and discovering that other people are paying far less attention to you than you think.
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I didn't
  • stayclassyanom
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I know that the only way to get over is to do it and I will! Thanks for the support and the motivation :)
  • anne018
    anne018 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Music is a great way to ignore the people and to be less embarrassed.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you are going to do it. Dont worry put on earphones and you wont hear a thing.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mgiux3kbOc1rrpsd7.gif

Ok, not really true, and I am nowhere near as pretty as she is :cry:

I do however only workout at home, inside. I am a little self conscious working out around others but it's more a convenience thing for me.

I say just do whatever you know you will stick with. If you can push through the awkwardness and do it anyway, then do that... but if that feeling is going to stop you then workout at home/inside/etc instead.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I didn't

why not?
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Hold your head up and run like a gazelle, like this is what you're meant to do, just like anything else in life. Running is your gift to yourself. Don't let others take it. FEAR = false events appearing real. Just run and enjoy your legs and your lungs.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I put in headphones. And I just went and did it anyway. It was the only way I overcame that feeling. I promise - the feeling does go away.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you just do it. Other runners will have respect for you. Non runners will be secretly envious of you. true story
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,576 Member
    Options
    Just a quick supportive word.

People don't care. Unless you're running naked.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Tribbey143
    Tribbey143 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    i wear sunglasses they can't see me attitude im not even joking big daddy style.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    i wore a cap n headphones when id go running outside lol oh & avoided all eye contact this all helped me... just do it!!!