Hummus: any good recipes out there?

Options
arewethereyet
arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
I am now addicted to Hummus, which was a food I wouldn't even consider 2 months ago.

We are a family of dippers-everything has a condiment. Sometimes we choose our meals by the condiment we are in the mood for. Want Heinz 57-steak it is! BBQ sauce-must be a chicken nite!

Any way it occured to me that I am eating something store bought that is most likely very easy to make at home.

Any ideas MFP pals? :huh:

Replies

• arewethereyet
    Options
    I am now addicted to Hummus, which was a food I wouldn't even consider 2 months ago.

We are a family of dippers-everything has a condiment. Sometimes we choose our meals by the condiment we are in the mood for. Want Heinz 57-steak it is! BBQ sauce-must be a chicken nite!

Any way it occured to me that I am eating something store bought that is most likely very easy to make at home.

Any ideas MFP pals? :huh:
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I usually put a can of chickpeas, some garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, tahini in the food processor with a little water too....be careful of hummus though, although it's really good for you, two tbsp has 50 cals!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/7115-hummus?hl=hummus#posts-49250

Here's mine I posted a while back. It's my favorite, I often have half a cup with cut veggies for a meal, using it as my protein source.:flowerforyou:
  • runningdevil
    runningdevil Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I am also addicted to hummus and would like to start making it at home.
    I like to dip pita chips in it, my favorite being "Stacy's Simply Naked".
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    you can also vary it by adding in a large handful of fresh herbs like basil or cilantro to the food processor once the hummus is mixed. Or add roasted vegetables like red pepper or zucchini or pumpkin!!!
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    I just joined this site last night. It looks fantastic.

This is a simple, made up recipe that we like - not a traditional hummus. My nine year old makes it. At first it seems a bit bland, but can be dressed up or down. We find it ridiculously addictive. We dip carrots and rice crackers (trader joe's) or tortilla chips. I'm gluten free for 12 years due to allergy/intolerances so many other flat breads or pita would be good with this too.

1 can trader joe's garbanzo beans
    2 tablespoons trader joe's sunflower seed butter (instead of tahini)
    1 tablespoon dried onion (I'm allergic to garlic)
    lemon juice to taste

I blend these and stick in refrigerator.
    This can be dressed up and down.
    I add hot sauce or roasted peppers. As soon as I remember to buy sun dried tomatoes I will try that too. A key is to let it chill in the refrigerator to allow for flavors to blend.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Awsome! I dip my veggies. Much better than high fat sour cream or ranch dressing dips. At least I am getting some protein too.

I didnt know it was so simple.

I went to a Greek restaurant the other day and noticed an oily film on top of my lovely hummus. He told me they drizzle (at least a 1/4 cup!) olive oil on top. I asked if I could have one with out this lovely accent and he returned with oil free version..YUM>

I am going to the grocery store to buy the ingredients!

thanks everyone.
  • runnerwithstyle
    runnerwithstyle Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I use plain yogurt instead of tahini when i make hummus
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    aw man I sooooooo did this wrong!

It was gross. :huh: :sad:

Ok-tomorrow I try again. I forgot the tahini or plain yogurt. So I saved what I processed and will add the yogurt tomorrow and see what happens.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    oops. already posted the link to my recipe.
  • spiralgirl71
    spiralgirl71 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to hummus as well. The plain yogurt will save on the calories. It's also much cheaper than Tahini. I also like to throw in a handful of chopped frozen spinach to the food processor.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    bought a real processor for 25 bucks and used these recipes. Tomorrow-adding spinach!

Even DH ate some! :laugh:
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    I have a dumb question what is hummus?? I have never heard of it till I started to "diet" and I hear of people loving it. Where do I find it?? What does it taste like?? Is it like lettace or something? LMAO im so stupid. :laugh:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I usually put a can of chickpeas, some garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, tahini in the food processor with a little water too....be careful of hummus though, although it's really good for you, two tbsp has 50 cals!
    This is a fantastic recipe and I use it myself, but I sub out PB for the tahinni cause Its more easily accessable...
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I have a dumb question what is hummus?? I have never heard of it till I started to "diet" and I hear of people loving it. Where do I find it?? What does it taste like?? Is it like lettace or something? LMAO im so stupid. :laugh:
    Thats cute, Its a chickpea spead. I always say its an aquired taste, cause it has a unique flavor. Any grocery store will carry it. They even make flavored ones now...I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!!!!!!
  • fitmonica
    Options
    My low-fat recipe goes like this:

Place in food processor:

1 19-ounce can chickpeas / garbanzos
    1-3 cloves garlic, minced (to taste)

While processor is running, add:

1/4 C chicken or vegetable broth
    1 1/2 TSP (or more, to your taste) ground cumin
    1/4 C lemon juice

Then add gradually (to obtain consistency you like):

1/2 C or so low- or no-fat yogurt
    1/4 - 1/2 C orange juice (to taste)

Add ground pepper and salt (or salt substitute) to taste

Is great garnished with chopped cilantro, and can be held refrigerated for up to 4 days or so.

I have never tried it with spinach -- and will now keep that in mind the next time I make it!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    that sounds good and lower fat that with olive oil and tahini-thanks:flowerforyou: