Holland & Barrett Opinions (UK only)

Options
OK my MFP friends this is not your run of the mill post about supplements etc.

I am going for a job interview at Holland & Barrett in the UK (central function, not in a store) so am doing my background research. I like to be creative so am doing more than just looking at their website for corporate blurb.

As I was thinking this through it occurred to me that you lovely people might have opinions about Holland & Barrett products or service that you would like to share. I don't mind whether it's good or bad and I don't even know how I might use what you say but it has to be worth a try.

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• Sarahlascelles
    Sarahlascelles Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    They dont just stock supplements etc. They also do a wide range of beauty products. I love the manuka honey stuff they do - I think its Dr Organics.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    they're good for foods for people who are allergic to stuff, e.g. dairy free sweets and stuff, plus vegan foods. I'm not into supplements really though, and they're quite expensive (or they were back when I lived in the UK which was a few years ago now)
  • StonesUnturned
    StonesUnturned Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I moved from North America six months ago assuming I would have to give up Chia seeds. H&B was the first place I checked and there they were. Couldn't find hemp protein though. Just whey or hemp seeds. I like that staff aren't pushy. When I go to a new branch and am wandering around looking lost, someone usually asks if they can help, shows me my options and then leaves me to decide. Overall I quite like them even though there are supplements there I think are junk but it's the same with any health food store.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I used to like them back when I was vegetarian but am put off that they insist on selling homeopathy products
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    they're good for foods for people who are allergic to stuff, e.g. dairy free sweets and stuff, plus vegan foods. I'm not into supplements really though, and they're quite expensive (or they were back when I lived in the UK which was a few years ago now)

This is a really positive spin on it, so yes they do have a good function.

However, the majority of their products don't do a damn thing, and are for people with more money than sense.

Innocent people will come into the shop seeking health advice. It will be your job to openly rob these people by lying to them and selling them junk that will have no effect.

My experience is that, even though I try to save the staff from embarrassment by saying I'm just looking, they will still insist on trying to 'educate' me on their products effects.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    They can be quite expensive, it's a nice place for me to pick up a few things for people who are allergic to dairy/wheat etc.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    +1 for the expensive, and they are becoming like DFS for perpetual Sale promotions.

Useful high street outlet for those wanting to dabble in alternative remedies and the like. Not competitive online.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

However, the majority of their products don't do a damn thing, and are for people with more money than sense.

Innocent people will come into the shop seeking health advice. It will be your job to openly rob these people by lying to them and selling them junk that will have no effect.

My experience is that, even though I try to save the staff from embarrassment by saying I'm just looking, they will still insist on trying to 'educate' me on their products effects.

Ha, you beat me to it. Pretty much all of this.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Thanks for your views, like I said I was after the bad as well as the good.

I am just a bit confused about your last comment......if you know the stuff they sell has no effect what are you "just looking" for in the shop?
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

While I agree with what you are saying, you could say that about almost all companies. Gas, energy, oil companies get a ridiculous profit on most of their 'products'. The same goes for other supplement companies, coffee companies and clothing companies (and in fact, there was an article in the BBC about workers in Bangladesh protesting about wanting an increase in their wages: to around £68 a month!)

OP; do not feel bad about working for H&B, everyone has to have a job. I think their products are overpriced, but so are book stores, for the same book on Amazon new or in great condition would be much cheaper. I think the approach you are taking here is very creative so play on your strength here. Rather than tell your interviewers about the people saying how much more expensive the products are, find out a reason why. A reason that will impress your future employer. For example, one reason why their products are more expensive than some online retailers is because they provide a local service for people on the high street. The same people who want to buy the clothes in store, the same people who want to buy their books in store. It provides an experience where the customer has a chance to talk to a person rather than look at a computer screen. They are able to get advice (regardless of what we think of a salesperson's advice) instead of having to read through hundreds of articles online about which products to get, many of which give information which is conflicting.

Good luck with your interview. Remember to dress appropriately and greet your interviewer with enthusiasm.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Yep, this is how it is everytime I visit my local H&B.

However I do go there regularly as they do stock some vegetarian/vegan foods that are hard to find elsewhere, as well as other less easy to find foods such as coconut oil and large tubs of whole earth peanut butter, chia seeds, etc. When they have special offers on many of their products are good value (they recently had one line of protein bars buy 1 get 2 free), even though they are not competitive with online retailers when selling full-priced goods.

It would be good if my store had someone more knowledgeable on sports nutrition and supplements as the staff at my store are usually just pushing pointless vitamins and minerals.

The reward card is good for regular customers - they send money off vouchers every few months in the same way Tesco do.

I do get annoyed when they try and push their magazine on my at the counter everytime I buy something.
  • IronSmasher
    Options

Thanks for your views, like I said I was after the bad as well as the good.

I am just a bit confused about your last comment......if you know the stuff they sell has no effect what are you "just looking" for in the shop?

I didn't say all of the stuff has no effect. Some of the stuff I would actually buy if it wasn't 5 times the price I can get it for.

As someone who advises in weight loss, nutrition and supplementation, I have to know what is available, what is being sold, and what is being claimed.
    It takes a lot longer for someone to disprove a theory than it does for someone to come up with one and sell a product based on it.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I love having a browse, and I buy supplements there that I haven't found anywhere else on the high street, and I don't trust online places to have quality stock.

The food looks good, but expensive, and to be honest if I was looking for something I'd be more likely to look in a supermarket.
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    iwannabeonthebeach Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in taking supplements as they are a waste of money but H&B are good for organic-type foods that are otherwise not available or very expensive in normal supermarkets. I buy flax seeds in there as they are about 20% cheaper than Sainsurys/Tescos.

However the staff in my local branch are a bit sullen and unhelpful.

Good luck with the job!
  • IronSmasher
    Options

While I agree with what you are saying, you could say that about almost all companies. Gas, energy, oil companies get a ridiculous profit on most of their 'products'. The same goes for other supplement companies, coffee companies and clothing companies (and in fact, there was an article in the BBC about workers in Bangladesh protesting about wanting an increase in their wages: to around £68 a month!)

OP; do not feel bad about working for H&B, everyone has to have a job. I think their products are overpriced, but so are book stores, for the same book on Amazon new or in great condition would be much cheaper. I think the approach you are taking here is very creative so play on your strength here. Rather than tell your interviewers about the people saying how much more expensive the products are, find out a reason why. A reason that will impress your future employer. For example, one reason why their products are more expensive than some online retailers is because they provide a local service for people on the high street. The same people who want to buy the clothes in store, the same people who want to buy their books in store. It provides an experience where the customer has a chance to talk to a person rather than look at a computer screen. They are able to get advice (regardless of what we think of a salesperson's advice) instead of having to read through hundreds of articles online about which products to get, many of which give information which is conflicting.

Good luck with your interview. Remember to dress appropriately and greet your interviewer with enthusiasm.

Out side of health foods and supplements, if someone claims something does something it doesn't - even at the point of exaggerating results - trading standards would step in and halt this behaviour.

I do agree that the higher price in the high street is to be expected, this is due to the service expected.
    I've also personally paid more for a protein powder in a health food store, due to the convenience and immediate availability.
    I don't mind that they charge more, I'd just have to be really out of luck to need to spend £70 on a tub of protein (that we all know has no large benefit over other food).
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

This. I used to manage two H&B stores and this is true.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Hey you, good luck with the interview!

I would comment that they do a fantastic range including food, but their stores are a bit small...I think they could definitely expand if they had more shelf space.

Their shops always seem to be busy too - which is positive, but I have often noticed that their customers tend to be if the mature age range. What are they doing to appeal to the younger clientele, athletes etc....

Hope this helps x
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

When I buy fuel, I know it will do what it says, and I'll know very quickly if it does not.

When I buy a book, I know what I'm getting and I'll know quickly if what I receive cannot be read or contains no words.

When you buy herbals you are getting a lot of 'may help with's and 'could be beneficial's. 90% of it is bunk.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    OK my MFP friends this is not your run of the mill post about supplements etc.

I am going for a job interview at Holland & Barrett in the UK (central function, not in a store) so am doing my background research. I like to be creative so am doing more than just looking at their website for corporate blurb.

As I was thinking this through it occurred to me that you lovely people might have opinions about Holland & Barrett products or service that you would like to share. I don't mind whether it's good or bad and I don't even know how I might use what you say but it has to be worth a try.

Thanks for your help.

Holland and Barratt were the only shop that stocked Chia Seeds around my area and THAT is a good enough reason for me to like the place! :D
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

Yep, this is how it is everytime I visit my local H&B.

However I do go there regularly as they do stock some vegetarian/vegan foods that are hard to find elsewhere, as well as other less easy to find foods such as coconut oil and large tubs of whole earth peanut butter, chia seeds, etc. When they have special offers on many of their products are good value (they recently had one line of protein bars buy 1 get 2 free), even though they are not competitive with online retailers when selling full-priced goods.

It would be good if my store had someone more knowledgeable on sports nutrition and supplements as the staff at my store are usually just pushing pointless vitamins and minerals.

The reward card is good for regular customers - they send money off vouchers every few months in the same way Tesco do.

I do get annoyed when they try and push their magazine on my at the counter everytime I buy something.

Don't be mad at the staff for that. They are forced by the manager, who in turn is forced by head office. But don't feel too sorry for them either, they are SPIFed.