Strong Lifts 5 x 5 program for the beginner :)

Options

Replies

• MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Bump, this fab, even though I've been doing this program a couple months, this clears up some confusion!
  • prosperkat
    prosperkat Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Any concern with starting this with dumbbells instead of barbell? I am a noob, have a good set of dumbbell weights but no barbell or bench. :embarassed:
  • dragonmom14
    Options
    bump
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I've been doing Strong Lifts since early June. I also bought both of Rippetoe's books (Starting Strength and Practical Programming). While I think both of these programs, or any barbell program for that matter is likely the most efficient way to gain maximal strength in a beginner, I do not think this program is for everyone.

To demonstrate my point, the Starting Strength book is over 200 pages, and 90% of this book is instruction on how to properly do 5 lifts. I think the squat instruction is 60 pages by itself.

It is very easy to get injured doing barbell lifts because there are so many things you need to be concerned with that could go wrong during the motion. I had to stop doing squats about a month and a half ago because of tendonitus in my knee. Also I had extreme shoulder pain due to lack of flexibility during the lift, and also hurt my upper back for about 2 days.

In deadlifts, I pulled my lower back slightly on two different occasions but I was only hurting for 2 days there as well.

They (or at least Rippetoe) recommends having coaches and spotters for the lifts, which is obviously very impractical for many of us, but novices tend to have horrendous form and it might be needed to take on such a program. I thought my form was decent from my self-analysis, but I think my injuries probably would say otherwise.

Also Mehdi is full of crap in a lot of ways since he is against anything that isn't barbell. Much of what he says will contradict what Lyle McDonald says about lifting. Lyle actually understands that novices can't all do barbell workouts and sometimes need machine workouts.

With all that being said I found the program to be quite motivating, especially with the simplicity and progressive overload so it takes a while to plateau. Just take form seriously.
  • hockeygrl15
    hockeygrl15 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is awesome. Thanks!
  • Bekah_Davis
    Bekah_Davis Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Save!
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Bump thanks
  • tudor1308
    Options
    Excellent!! Thank you so much!!
  • desigirl23
    desigirl23 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • michaelmadonna
    michaelmadonna Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    OK...total noob here. I would like to start this program and have a question. How long do you rest between sets? Thanks! :-)

I've been doing this since July and the suggestion is to rest 90 seconds between sets and longer if the set is more diffiuclt even up to 5 minutes. There is an ipod/ipone app for stronglifts which has a timer that automaticially starts after you enter the set and even flashes after 90 seconds. Unfortunatley there's not one from stronglifts for android but there is "LiftBig" which is essentially the same thing and does have a timer however you have to start it, it doesn't start automatically. If the set is difficult the recommendation is to rest longer for more recovery.
  • scubabetty
    scubabetty Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • passionflwr1
    passionflwr1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • ziggypop93
    ziggypop93 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Bump for later to share with the hubs.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    Hey -- something I can understand! Thanks!
  • ketchup38
    ketchup38 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ciarastacey
    ciarastacey Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bump, that's great, thanks!
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Are supplementary routines allowed such as dips and pull ups?