Military Guy needing support

Options
2»

Replies

• jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your service! I too lost weight on a small budget lol. The food logging here is excellent and I love the way it helps you track. Setting up calorie goals and letting us add our cardio workouts. Lots of military people on here as well! you came to the right place! Good luck in your journey! You have a few things going for you. You are committed, have integrity, have done this before, and have the whole air force behind you! You can do this! Log, learn everything you can about healthy eating, give up that junk food, lift weights and get back to your pt routines! Dont forget your daily vitamins and pushing your daily protein intake up! :) Oh ya, and add more water to your routine! I bet you that you have a cup of coffee in your hands a lot, (if your air force you'll get this) start carrying around a water bottle with your coffee cup! LOL
  • sheltony
    sheltony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Being in the military, you hopefully have access to the base rec center/gym. Most bases have some form of it. Try going there when your schedule allows before or after work. You'll start to feel better almost immediately and can then make real strides in your food consumption because your head will be in a better place. Sometimes, the beginning is the hardest part. I had to take on the Nike logo and "just do it". Been "just doing it" since May and it's starting to stick. Plus, I've lost a little over 20 pounds. Biggest thing for me was getting my head in the game. Exercise really helped.
  • mshoneysmile7
    mshoneysmile7 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am a military wife and have recently started again with my healthy living plan. The best advice that I can give is LOG EVERYTHING. I forget sometimes, but don't avoid logging when you feel ashamed of what you've eaten. Logging helps you to see just how many calories you're taking in. If you eat a bad meal, try to burn it off so balance calories in and calories out. I am working on it too, so if you don't mind, I will add you.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    - Eat high protein, but don't ignore the importance of fats and carbs. They are as important as protein;
    - Lift heavy, compound exercises like deadlifts, benchpress or even simple bodyweight exercises like squats, pressups and pullups;
    - Triathlon approach - Swim, cycle and run, each on one day of the week for 30 mins;
    - Rest. Too much exercise has a negative effect, leaving you tired (amongst other things).

The BIGGEST thing with losing weight is there is no rocket-science here. Calories out > Calories in. Period. I burn 1000 calories a day from exercise and total requirement for maintenance is around 1900 so I eat 2500 to 3000 calories a day and still lose.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Hello! Have you considered the clean eating diet?
    I just feel I'm going to have a difficult time with this since I'm actually on my own with excersise, and have difficulty sorting through all the "fad" stuff.

This would be the fad stuff...
    Calories in vs calories out that is all :smile:

Exactly - simple math - calories in vs. out

I lost 75 pounds and kept it off for 2 years. An injury hobbled me this summer (cracked some ribs) and I gained some weight and got soft again. I lost 3 pounds in the last week, even while drinking liquor (counting calories). Add me if you want.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Check out the 5:2 plan. It sure works for me. Your weight is 85% what you are eating. Good luck!!
  • BettyAnnJackson
    Options
    Best of Luck to you & a thank you for your husbands service. :flowerforyou:
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hang in there!
  • VioletLady2013
    Options
    First, thank you for your service.
    Second, how about a pedometer? You can get fairly cheap ones on amazon, if not then use an app on your phone. I also have "unstructured" days but at night if I find I haven't walked at least 10,000 steps in a day I will walk around my bedroom, or even hotel room like a crazy person until I reach the 10,000. That's easy. Americans average about 4,000 steps a day so you're doubling your numbers.

Good luck!
  • D_Dub
    D_Dub Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the highest respect for our Active Duty men and women. This is the Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave! My dad was an Air Force Lifer. I grew up in the military. Thank you for your service.

First: forget all hype and rhetoric. Losing weight is the cheapest thing to do. It is all calories out vs calories in. You don't have buy equipment or supplements to lose weight. Find the healthy foods you like (you know what they are) limit the bad stuff to one day a week. Count your calories; be in a calorie deficit. The lower your calories the faster you lose weight. I am 6'4'' and I stay between 1000-1200 calories a day. Guys should neve bo below 800 calories a day.

Second: Workouts are important for staying healthy. But unless you are training on the level of Michael Phelps they don't have that much to do with weight loss. I power lift for strength and walk/swim for cardio. I don't factor them in for my weight loss. You don't need any other equipment than what you find in your installation's gym. The bench press, back squat and deadlift are the best and most basic moves with weights.
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    USAF

I know how you feel I was a on D/S/M schedule for a while and it was tough. I finally started goign to the gym either between my two naps for mids I would sleep from 8-12, then get up from 12-4 then sleep from 5-930. OR..I would hit hte gym after the shift before I went to work.

On swings ALWAYS before work just go in around 1230 then work out change for work and head in.

DAYS, were oddly the hardest for me. - Go after

Also for food, keep GOOD snacks on hand, cheerios, water, veggies ( do not give into the snack bar, it is your enemy)

( I am going to promote both working out and eating, b/c you have to keep up a certain physical level, and for running the only thing thats make it easier is repitition)

oh feel free to add me
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    cutting starches and refined carbs, you'll drop 45 in no time
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    Clean eating....eliminate all junk. You don't have to go crazy...just start with the no brainers (no fast food, no Doritos, no soda, etc.) and then as your body gets used to healthy food, continue to eliminate bad stuff. Also, exercise at least 30 minutes a day. You can do it! :)

Agreed! I started this type of eating because I wanted a healthier lifestyle and to lose weight the right way. I don't believe it's a fad diet, because eating healthy is not a "fad"; it's what the human body needs to refuel itself and to have proper nutrition. In my opinion, it's worth a shot.
  • Agloverlv
    Options
    I have no Idea what will work for you. I have found success in using these apps to learn what foods I rest that I need to moderate or eliminate. Slowly changing my diet over time and simple workouts that started as twenty minute hikes once a week and have turned into 60-90 min workouts at a gym 3-5 times a week have me down 40 lbs in 10 months. While I am adding muscle mass as well.

Really, All I wanted to say was "Thank you for your service sir".
  • FreeToBreathe
    Options
    I say ensure you get 30-60 minutes vigorous exercises every day (at least 5 days/week) whenever possible...due to your shift changes...and fill up on the nutritionally good food while avoiding the bad. Protein is your best friend, but don't overdo it.

Drink water, water, water.

Easy concept, requires much willpower.
    Good luck! ;)
  • cramervogt
    Options
    I would love to be your friend . its hard to go it alone. i will help you if you will help me! Thank you for your sacrifice for our country.
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    Clean eating....eliminate all junk. You don't have to go crazy...just start with the no brainers (no fast food, no Doritos, no soda, etc.) and then as your body gets used to healthy food, continue to eliminate bad stuff. Also, exercise at least 30 minutes a day. You can do it! :)

Agreed! I started this type of eating because I wanted a healthier lifestyle and to lose weight the right way. I don't believe it's a fad diet, because eating healthy is not a "fad"; it's what the human body needs to refuel itself and to have proper nutrition. In my opinion, it's worth a shot.
    It IS a fad, only because "clean eating" doesn't actually mean anything. It's a term made up to sell books. You can be perfectly healthy without following any kind of "clean eating" fad diet list. I'm perfectly healthy, yet I regularly eat everything the post you quoted said to eliminate. Imagine that.

I've never heard of clean eating being referred to as a "fad" until I've read this thread, so drop your attitude. The OP was asking for some advice and opinions, and I gave mine. It may or may not work for them, so put your **** away and stop trying to one-up me. We're here to support each other. End of story.
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    christopherda,

I would suggest going to fitnessfrog to get your TDEE, and set your goals here accordingly of caloric intake. Be sure log everything you eat/drink. This alone was an eye opener for me, as I found I was eating at least 700 calories over daily. As for what to eat, you just have to find what works for you. While I admire those who eat entirely clean, that would cause me to binge and give up. I may get flamed here, but I don't go crazy in being strict. I have pretty much the same foods as I did before joining this site as I eat fairly healthy. What's changed then? My portion size for one. I upped the amount of lean protein, along with raw fruits and veggies ect, and lowered the amounts of everything else, including beer. Well, if you count your calories, eat fairly healthy, and exercise -some cardio w/some weight training, you will lose weight, gain muscle, and feel more balanced. I work out at home to save $$ and mostly walk, run, and lift weights (those are good investment). Also, I was lucky enough to get an incline treadmill for cheap (craigslist is awesome). Oh, and I def don't workout for hours at a time. Rather, I make the most of the time I have. My treadmill has preprogramed trainer workouts that are intense and burn crazy calories in a short amount of time. Best of luck!! And thanks for your service!!!
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    May 24th, I bought a 35w pants, weighing 190, met my goal 3 weeks ago, at 155, now weigh 150, wearing 29 or 30w. It is totally possible, at 47, it is harder.