Eggs and cholesterol. Weird blood results.

Options

Replies

• padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    My dr wanted me to go in to have my levels checked at the beginning of the year. I was at my biggest, 190. I wanted to loose weight before going to get it done. I have reached my goal weight, and have not been to my dr since the weight lost. He will be shocked. We have a good relationship. He was only asking for the tests because I had not had them done in 2 years at that point. All my levels were good then. My only issue is the fasting. As you can see from the time stamp, I wake up really early. Fasting until 8a for test would drive me insane. I can deal with not eating, but no coffee would be a killer.
  • JosieB2014
    Options
    Oh dear my bad forgot to include cholesterol at 7mmol/L
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Hdl 2.5 mmol/L
    LDL 3.7mmol/L
    Triglyceride 1.7mmol/L
    Cholesterol /hdl-c 2.8 mmol/L
    Vldl - 0.8 mmol/L
    really...
    your doctor is worried about you having a 143 LDL and a 96 HDL

that is a very good ratio to have.

Her total cholesterol is rather high and her triglycerides are borderline.

Truth is we're not really sure which numbers are actually important. There's debate about whether it's HDL/LDL ratio, HDL/total, total, etc. Her high HDL makes her ratios excellent, but the high total number is something I wouldn't just brush off.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Hdl 2.5 mmol/L
    LDL 3.7mmol/L
    Triglyceride 1.7mmol/L
    Vldl - 0.8 mmol/L
    really...

Truth is we're not really sure which numbers are actually important. There's debate about whether it's HDL/LDL ratio, HDL/total, total, etc. Her high HDL makes her ratios excellent, but the high total number is something I wouldn't just brush off.
    I've dabbled into this subject for a while and I have to agree with you for the most part. Most of the numbers represent an association, but what they represent in an individual is sketchy. Lately I've been researching the association between total particle numbers as opposed to weight, which is pretty intriguing.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Hdl 2.5 mmol/L
    LDL 3.7mmol/L
    Triglyceride 1.7mmol/L
    Vldl - 0.8 mmol/L
    really...

There is no evidence of total cholesterol being a problem for anything
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19751443

Chart of death in relation to cholesterol
    http://freetheanimal.com/images/2009/09/cholesterol-mortality.gif

the ratio
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23863983

trying to find the study associated with this.
    http://dietheartpublishing.com/Cholesterol/10/09
  • jonnythan
    Options

the ratio

That first link is about dietary cholesterol, unless I'm mising something.

The chart shows mortality from noncommunicable disease and cardiovascular disease the lowest with a total cholesterol of about 210. OP's is 270, which is literally off the chart.

Are you trying to establish that total cholesterol of 270 mg/dL is not a risk factor for cardiovascular disease?
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 to 5 full eggs per day since I started working out last year and my cholesterol went down!
  • DatMurse
    Options

the ratio

The chart shows mortality from noncommunicable disease and cardiovascular disease the lowest with a total cholesterol of about 210. OP's is 270, which is literally off the chart.

Are you trying to establish that total cholesterol of 270 mg/dL is not a risk factor for cardiovascular disease?
    you are right, I forgot to add triglyceride into the total cholesterol.

woops, leftlover link
    now im too lazy to find the original link

I am just trying to establish that she has a very good ratio for hdl to total.
    35% and that is a very good number

OP have you been bulking or anything like that?.

I would get a retest if anything
    I hope your doctor isnt reccomending statins right away
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol has been just outside normal ranges recently...so I'm following as this is all interesting to me.

Just curious if anyone has done any research on wheat or grains affecting cholesterol.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    My cholesterol has been just outside normal ranges recently...so I'm following as this is all interesting to me.

Just curious if anyone has done any research on wheat or grains affecting cholesterol.
    I havent seen any study that gives it any negative effect.
    If anything they take away wheat and reduce caloric intake and have some sort of idea that reducing wheat intake did this.
  • neanderthin
    Options

the ratio

woops, leftlover link

Trigs, or high trigs are associated with pattern B cholesterol which are associated with more risk for CVD. Basically high trigs and low HDL is showing up to be a major indicator that something is wrong. Most heart attach victims in the USA have LDL in the normal range but have high trigs and low HDL.......paradoxically speaking.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Grain, I'm not sure, probably. Carbs, yes. More carbs that represent a persons diet the lower the persons HDL is and lowers overall cholesterol levels, but it also increases triglycerides.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I have always had high cholesterol. Even when I was in college and weighed about 105 lbs. I am sure it is genetic.

About 10 years ago it spiked way up and my doctor was not happy. My triglycerides were through the ceiling!! (I had also gained weight up to around 150 lbs. On my small frame that puts my BMI definitely in the overweight range.) I immediately went on a diet. I cut out most red meat and most refined carbohydrates. (Loosely followed the sugar busters low glycemic index plan). I lost about 35 lbs, and my bloodwork came back down to close to normal. My total Cholesterol was still a little high, but my good cholesterol was really high, and my bad was REALLY low, so Doctor was pleased. (Triglycerides were okay). Eventually I stopped being as careful with my eating, and my weight went back up to 156 lbs. That was four years ago, when I joined MFP. I lost 40 lbs over 10 months time by counting calories a la MFP. Naturally, I made better food choices because I learned quickly that to stay within my calorie budget, I could only have occaisional indulgences.

Last year I had my cholesterol tested again for my life insurance. Again, my total was up, but my ratios were good, and my triglycerides were even better than before.

So I DO think that lifestyle, including what you eat and exercise, does affect your cholesterol. My numbers, and the numbers of others, bear that out. And for some of us, it matters more than others.

So I would cut out some of your egg yolks. If you dont like egg whites, then scramble one egg with one white and have that.

Dont forget that eggs hide in all kinds of things, so your total eggs for the week may be higher than you realize, although eating clean helps with that.

Because I have to watch my calories carefully because I am small, I often choose to just have the scrambled egg whites instead of the whole egg because it gives me a huge boost of protein with a small number of calories.

Also, this may be a dumb question, OP, but is the drug you are taking for acne? If it is, have you tried proactiv-type products? (There are several generic equivalents sold in drugstores and dept. stores). It is the only thing that solved my lifelong acne problem. (Yes, I had pimples on my wrinkles. Gotta love that!)
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Accutane raises cholesterol, not a thing you can do about it unless you stop taking accutane. Close thread now.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Accutane raises cholesterol, not a thing you can do about it unless you stop taking accutane. Close thread now.

But then we miss out on all the theorizing, speculation and ambiguous references to eating clean
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Glad to see there's people that eat a lot of eggs, and have normal cholesterol levels. I was curious about this myself, since I've seen conflicting information. I know the latest research shows that the high levels of cholesterol in eggs is supposedly good cholesterol, but the "research" always changes from day to day. Lol. :)))
  • JosieB2014
    Options

the ratio

woops, leftlover link

Hey, thanks everyone for the amazing input!!!! You're all amazing.

I have been cutting, actually.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Idiots, I see lots of misleading and harmful information in this thread. I'm not sure where to start.

The doctor bashing people are ignorant of the medical field. The numbers are set by the medical community to help communicate medical conditions on charts to coworkers across the field be it a Nurse, Doctor, Pharmacist or health insurance companies. Your doctor is only following protocol and informing you of your condition because he has a legal obligation to do so. If he doesn't tell you your numbers and something happens, he can be sued and maybe lose his license. So he has a legal obligation to inform you. Visit any other doctor and they will tell you the same.

Now, is your cholesterol level anything to be worried about? That is what you should have asked your doctor and he would have most likely said no since you are young. Normally, there has to be more than one risk factor involved for you to worry. Each risk factor raises your level of a heart attack in the next 10 years by a percentage, I believe it is 15? I don't remember. Age, smoking, HDL levels, diabetes, and obesity are all separate risk factors. The more you have, the higher your chances of having a heart attack in 10 years. Having a risk factor does not guarantee that you will have a heart attack, it only gives you an idea of your chances. I can't be clear on that enough. It does not guarantee a heart attack, it only raises your chances! If you had been obese, 30 pounds over weight, and high cholesterol then you should worry as those are two risk factors. If you are a smoker and have high cholesterol, then you can worry. Had you been over the age of 45 with high cholesterol, then you can worry. Low HDL and high cholesterol also counts as two risk factors, which is another way of saying horrible ratios. Get the idea?

The notion that medication can be the cause of high cholesterol, does not mean it is okay to have high cholesterol. That's a very dump assumption I see being made. High cholesterol is still a risk factor.

Is eating three eggs causing your cholesterols levels to rise? Most likely yes. I see idiots in this thread spreading harmful information on this subject. I can't stress enough how getting this type of information from the laymen on MFP, who does not have a clear accurate whole picture, can put your health in danger with you in the hospital. The idea that for every single man, women, and child on planet earth can eat as much whole eggs and red meat as they want without rising cholesterol levels is misleading and inaccurate information. There are people in this world who can not eat as much carbs as they want because they are diabetic, if the did, they'd be in the hospital. There are also people in this world who can not eat nuts, doing so would put them in the hospital. Just as there are people who must regulate their carbs, or those who can't eat nuts, there are people in this world who can not and should not constantly shove high cholesterol foods down their throats because they will see a constant rise in cholesterol levels. The idea that eating whole eggs doesn't raise cholesterol levels only applies for 80% of the population. The other 20% will see a constant rise and this is why the information is being misinterpreted and being very dangerously misleading.

How do you know if you fall within the 20%? Change your diet and get a lipid blood panel test.

• JosieB2014
    Options

Even for being on roaccutane, the number is rather high.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Idiots, I see lots of misleading and harmful information in this thread. I'm not sure where to start.

The people doctor bashing are ignorant of the medical field. The numbers are set by the medical community to help communicate medical conditions on charts to coworkers across the field be it a Nurse, Doctor, Pharmacist or health insurance companies. Your doctor is only following protocol and informing you of your condition because he has a legal obligation to do so. If he doesn't tell you your numbers and something happens, he can be sued and maybe lose his license. So he has a legal obligation to inform you. Visit any other doctor and they will tell you the same.

Now, is your cholesterol level anything to be worried about? That is what you should have asked your doctor and he would have most likely said no since you are young. Normally, there has to be more than one risk factor involved for you to worry. Each risk factor raises your level of a heart attack in the next 10 years by a percentage, I believe it is 15? I don't remember. Age, smoking, HDL levels, diabetes, and obesity are all separate risk factors. The more you have, the higher your chances of having a heart attack in 10 years. Having a risk factor does not guarantee that you will have a heart attack, it only gives you an idea of your chances. I can't be clear on that enough. It does not guarantee a heart attack, it only raises your chances! If you had been obese, 30 pounds over weight, and high cholesterol then you should worry as those are two risk factors. If you are a smoker and have high cholesterol, then you can worry. Had you been over the age of 45 with high cholesterol, then you can worry. Low HDL and high cholesterol also counts as two risk factors, which is another way of saying horrible ratios. Get the idea?

The notion that medication can be the cause of high cholesterol, does not mean it is okay to have high cholesterol. That's a very dump assumption I see being made. High cholesterol is still a risk factor.

Is eating three eggs causing your cholesterols levels to rise? Most likely yes. I see idiots in this thread spreading harmful information on this subject. I can't stress enough how getting this type of information from the laymen on MFP, who does not have a clear accurate whole picture, can put your health in danger with you in the hospital. The idea that for every single man, women, and child on planet earth can eat as much whole eggs and red meat as they want without rising cholesterol levels is misleading and inaccurate information. There are people in this world who can not eat as much carbs as they want because they are diabetic, if the did, they'd be in the hospital. There are also people in this world who can not eat nuts, doing so would put them in the hospital. Just as there are people who must regulate their carbs, or those who can't eat nuts, there are people in this world who can not and should not constantly shove high cholesterol foods down their throats because they will see a constant rise in cholesterol levels. The idea that eating whole eggs doesn't raise cholesterol levels only applies for 80% of the population. The other 20% will see a constant rise and this is why the information is being misinterpreted and being very dangerously misleading.

How do you know if you fall within the 20%? Change your diet and get a lipid blood panel test.

You're spending a lot of time what idiots participants in this thread are. You're also talking a lot about what the doctor should have said. Then you blast "getting this information from laymen."

Are you a physician? Presumably you are not a "layman" because you just said getting this sort of info from a layman is stupid.