Snacking at Work

Options

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why you'd want to suppress hunger but then eat every three hours like clockwork. How about... have a snack when you're hungry for it and don't eat when you're not? Good Lord.
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    What I meant was that when I chew gum it makes the urge to snack go away and it keeps my mouth active so I stay awake vs. going for a sweetened drink, like my Tea Mix I keep at work - only now it's going to waste because I've substituted water instead...if your truly hungry eat, and yes healthy options are better than nothing.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I stopped keeping packages of snacks at work, because I was eating way too many. When I pack my lunch I pack 4 small snacks. I eat 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. I also drink tea and water throughout the day and have a couple sugar-free hard candies. It totally helps me to curb the constant need to snack.
  • kayla1025
    kayla1025 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Im the same! Desk job and dont really get up.. I have a 30min lunch that I go sit in my car to eat lunch which sucks! I try to bring healhtier snacks such as sliced fruit or baby carrots. I also totally agree on the gum thing!! Chewing helps with hunger and keeps you a lilttle more awake... it keeps your mouth occupied so you dont want to keep munching on stuff :)
  • Mborroto25
    Mborroto25 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This might sound extreme/nutty but could you try NOT snacking at all and see how it goes? Imagine you work in a place where you risk being fired if you consume anything other than water during the working hours (minus lunch break of course).

I worked retail for years, and that's how it was. So when I started working in office jobs, I COULD NOT get over the way people snacked at their desks on everything from nuts to sliced up apples to burritos. LOL Seriously, I think that old retail mentality of "no snacks on the sales floor ever" was so ingrained in me that even though now I may have a kids Clif Z bar at my desk when I know I'll have a later than normal dinner, it feels "wrong" to me!

Honestly though I think it's not very professional to snack a lot at your desk especially people who eat breakfast and lunch at work at their desk. That does not seem like a healthy balance to me. OF COURSE I understand some jobs don't allow "real" breaks etc...I don't want to offend anyone, as I said this is just my opinion. I eat my breakfast at home and my lunch either at home, in a restaurant, or in the break room at work. So that's my .02. I drink cold water or hot flavored teas at my desk.

ETA: If you are really having trouble staying alert and awake, that is kind of worrisome. Is there any way you can get up more frequently for walks around the office? I know some jobs aren't conducive to that, especially if you're "tied to" a phone or something. Maybe try sleeping more at night? I'd be a little concerned about some sort of imbalance if I was that tired.
    Its not very professional to snack a lot at your desk? That doesn't make sense to me at all. I've never thought about eating as unprofessional.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    This might sound extreme/nutty but could you try NOT snacking at all and see how it goes? Imagine you work in a place where you risk being fired if you consume anything other than water during the working hours (minus lunch break of course).

I worked retail for years, and that's how it was. So when I started working in office jobs, I COULD NOT get over the way people snacked at their desks on everything from nuts to sliced up apples to burritos. LOL Seriously, I think that old retail mentality of "no snacks on the sales floor ever" was so ingrained in me that even though now I may have a kids Clif Z bar at my desk when I know I'll have a later than normal dinner, it feels "wrong" to me!

Honestly though I think it's not very professional to snack a lot at your desk especially people who eat breakfast and lunch at work at their desk. That does not seem like a healthy balance to me. OF COURSE I understand some jobs don't allow "real" breaks etc...I don't want to offend anyone, as I said this is just my opinion. I eat my breakfast at home and my lunch either at home, in a restaurant, or in the break room at work. So that's my .02. I drink cold water or hot flavored teas at my desk.

ETA: If you are really having trouble staying alert and awake, that is kind of worrisome. Is there any way you can get up more frequently for walks around the office? I know some jobs aren't conducive to that, especially if you're "tied to" a phone or something. Maybe try sleeping more at night? I'd be a little concerned about some sort of imbalance if I was that tired.
    Its not very professional to snack a lot at your desk? That doesn't make sense to me at all. I've never thought about eating as unprofessional.

I think it looks really tacky. Am I the only one? I guess so.

Like I mentioned, maybe it comes from those long ago years of retail. But when I go into an office, let's say my insurance agency or financial planner or especially doctor's office...I am always kind of taken aback when the secretary (or agent) has food laid out across their desk. It seems like they're less credible and prepared, and I lose confidence in their abilities. I think of food/eating as something for kitchens, dining areas, break times. Not during work.

Wow I sound mean! LOL Not my intention, this is just the way I feel.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I bring an apple, a fromage frais yoghurt, grapes, melon and a low cal hot choc. Defo helps me.
  • KerryITD
    KerryITD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've discovered that if I start off with snacking on things with no protein, it sets me up badly for the whole day. If I have plain yogurt, cottage cheese, or a hard-boiled egg as my first snack, I have no problem moderating. Same goes for breakfast, actually!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I pack my lunch bag with a known number of calories every single day, including all of my snacks. I might throw an extra 100 calorie granola bar in just in case. There have been days that my lunch bag is empty by noon (oops), but I try not to snack above and beyond that.

Drinking green tea helps, too. Lots and lots of green tea. And then you can count all of your trips to the restroom as exercise (kidding!).
  • MissMeghan802
    Options
    I used to be the same way. Now i drink lots of water and chew gum.
  • hatedrow90
    hatedrow90 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing for me is to stop snacking all day at work. I sit at a desk ALL DAY and nibbling keeps me awake. What am I supposed to do?

Hey I have the same problem! Trick is.. have veggie tray in the fridge at all times!!
    AND
    I know that wont always work..

So here are some tricks I have
    -Jolly Time 100 calories popcorn (You make a whole bag to yourself )
    -110 Calorie special K cracker chips (my favorite are the honey BBQ)
    -90 calorie fiber bars (My fav is prezel chocolate carmel)
    -Quaker rice cakes

Hope that helps :)
  • cevalid
    Options
    A few people at our work petitioned persistently for free fruit in the kitchen and this worked. 1. You snack free 2. You have to walk some distance to snack 3. Healthy snacks
  • cevalid
    Options
    I pack my lunch bag with a known number of calories every single day, including all of my snacks. I might throw an extra 100 calorie granola bar in just in case. There have been days that my lunch bag is empty by noon (oops), but I try not to snack above and beyond that.

Drinking green tea helps, too. Lots and lots of green tea. And then you can count all of your trips to the restroom as exercise (kidding!).

I actually do drink lots of water and tea to get more bathroom trips in. Means I stand about once an hour or so.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I find it easiest to not snack at all. My break room is fully stocked. (I work from home in an 8-5 job, so my break room is my kitchen!) While it's nice to have any healthy food available at all times, my husband's unhealthy snacks are right here too. I could eat from either stash all day if I let myself. So it's easiest for me just to avoid it altogether. This tends to make my meals more satisfying too since I'll have more calories available. With that said, depending on my dinner/after work plans, and how many calories I have left, I may plan a snack around 4pm so I'm not ravenous before dinner. (Or I'll just have dinner early and a snack later.)

Healthy and lower calories snacks that I enjoy include:
    - veggies with a dip made of plain yogurt and a mix
    - apples and peanut butter (just saw an idea to mix the peanut butter with equal part vanilla yogurt, which sounds yummy and will stretch the peanut butter)
    - a cup of yogurt mixed with rice crisps or a puffed cereal just for the bulk
    - I just made some pumpkin black bean chili that's only 160 calories per cup, so that might end up being a snack on its own
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

Like I mentioned, maybe it comes from those long ago years of retail. But when I go into an office, let's say my insurance agency or financial planner or especially doctor's office...I am always kind of taken aback when the secretary (or agent) has food laid out across their desk. It seems like they're less credible and prepared, and I lose confidence in their abilities. I think of food/eating as something for kitchens, dining areas, break times. Not during work.

I see your point here and I agree with you when it comes to office workers like the ones you mentioned who are facing the public at any given moment. However, there are tons of office workers like myself who are hidding in the cubicle maze who very rarely, if ever, actually see their customers and therefore eating at our desks is more widely accepted. The only gross part about it in this kind of environment is if people aren't tidy and don't clean up after themselves well so there are crumbs all over which can attract pests (bugs, mice).

ETA: Unfortunately, even in the environment where they are more public, they may not have the opportunity to take a proper lunch break so eating at their desks is the only option. I have a friend that works in such an office and it can be tough because they don't want her to eat at her desk but it can be hard to avoid it at times if she doesn't have backup coverage for taking her lunch break. Just some different perspectives to keep in mind.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I usually bring : a cheese stick, carrots, fruit, nuts (serving size), pretzels/and or raisins. Keeping healthy snacks handy does help. Although soon as I leave out of my cube there are other sugary and savory alternatives like: Twizzlers, Snickers, Butterfingers, and etc. I'm trying as we speak (type) to avoid going in that direction. I also bring my dinner for the trip home. I usually go to the gym, and eating before hand helps fuel me for my workout and minimizes the food attack I have afterwards.
  • Mborroto25
    Mborroto25 Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Well I agree with that point. As a customer or patient, I think it does look unprofessional to see people eating in an office. If you work in a corporate office like I do, you never see customers, just the same old stinky coworkers. In my case, I think its ok to eat :)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing for me is to stop snacking all day at work. I sit at a desk ALL DAY and nibbling keeps me awake. What am I supposed to do?

I have a desk job and I eat all day too.

I bring my breakfast and lunch to my desk and eat it there.

I bring cut up fruits and veggie and dip them in homemade yogurt based dip or hummus or peanut butter. I eat nuts and cheese sticks sometimes too. I also got a graze box delivery, but I've been using that after my nightly run more often then at work.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Healthy snacks and lots of water and coffee. I also keep some options hot chocolate in my drawer if I fancy something sweet (40 cals a mug and very satisfying). I also get a 'graze box' delivered to work which contain 4 healthy snacks.....
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Stand up. Sitting all day without movement means you will feel lethargic, which you are combating by eating to get a quick burst of energy . You need to release the energy you've already stored -- by moving. If you are chained to your desk for the entire day, stand up. Standing will allow you to burn more calories & many desks can be adjusted to work from a standing position. If you can take short breaks from your desk, great - try walking around the building (inside or out), taking the stairs (increase the number of floors you do every day). Even little things like using the break room farthest from your desk, parking away from the building, using a bathroom on a different floor -- all can help keep you awake, alert and give you small boosts of energy so you can resist the urge to snack. And if you do still snack, try to drink 1-2 glasses of water before you snack. This will help keep you hydrated and also ensure that you do take a break later (to use the bathroom)