Calories and colds

Options
Do you let yourself eat more when you have a cold?
I can't decide if I should. Is it true about feeding a cold?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat more to cure a cold. It's a virus and will run it's course regardless of what you do.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat more to cure a cold. It's a virus and will run it's course regardless of what you do.

Agreed.

I do tend to shift my macros a bit, but overall cals don't need to change. That said, if you're just looking for an excuse to eat more, a few days won't make much difference in the bigger picture if you're good the rest of the time.
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    Is that strictly true? If you're run down already then a virus could take hold more. Ie elderly are more at risk from the flu/ sickness bugs. So if you're running on fewer calories than you should (dieting) are you less able to fight a virus off? Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to eat more!
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    No and no
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    Jacksonpt - busted!
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Is that strictly true? If you're run down already then a virus could take hold more. Ie elderly are more at risk from the flu/ sickness bugs. So if you're running on fewer calories than you should (dieting) are you less able to fight a virus off? Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to eat more!

Are we talking pneumonia here, or a common cold? Also, are we talking about a calorie intake that's at least within shouting distance of reasonable? Or are we talking about netting something absurdly low because of stupid amounts of cardio?

Is it a strict rule? No, probably not... as there are almost no hard and fast 100% always true rules when it comes to health. There are so many factors at play that it's hard to talk in pure absolutes. But that doesn't mean there aren't "rules" that apply to 99% of the people 99% of the time.

Elderly are more at risk (assuming they actually are), because their immune systems are weak. What does that have to do with how much they are eating?

Rest/sleep is probably a bigger factor than anything else when it comes to how susceptible someone is to getting sick.

• jacksonpt
    Options
    Jacksonpt - busted!

uh, wut?
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Feeding a cold doesnt mean eating more calories, just that certain nutrients in food are beneficial for helping you get over a cold quicker, and preventing you from getting (as) sick the next time a bug comes your way. Hence why disease is worse (more common and stronger symptoms with complications) in places where people are malnourished.

Things you need to keep an eye on are protein (the more the better....hence chicken soup--Protein is vital to build and repair body tissue and fight viral and bacterial infections. Immune system powerhouses such as antibodies and immune system cells rely on protein. Too little protein in the diet may lead to symptoms of weakness, fatigue, apathy, and poor immunity.); zinc, probiotics (yoghurt); phytochemicals; glutatione; vitamin A; vitamin C; beta-carotene; and bioflavenoids.

Jff: starve a fever is generally because it cuts down on the energy in your body, thus heat. Fluids are best for a fever.
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    Thank you sunsetzen. For clarifying how nutrition is important for colds. As a poor eater I guess I eat lots when I have a cold to cover the nutrition basics without realising it.

Jacksonpt - I meant you have me sussed by saying busted! I think I was looking for an excuse, but I'll try and eat more protein instead of more calories.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options

The answer to this question is always "yes, you are." If you're wondering if you should eat more calories, and it's NOT because you're losing weight far too rapidly for comfort, it's because you're looking for an excuse to eat more. That's really it.