starting over after spending 8 weeks in a wheelchair.....

Options
Shua89
Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
The last two months have been rough. On August 24th I ran my first 5K and was so on top of the world. On August 31st I fell off my horse and severely broke my leg (broken tibia, torn ligaments and tendons and a dislocated ankle). I also severely sprained the other ankle. I spent the next 6 weeks in a wheelchair, then another 2 on crutches.

Now, the cast is off and I can walk. Sadly, that's about the best I can do. Walking a mile is about my limit now.

I managed to maintain my weight during this period but haven't lost any, now I feel like I am starting over and I'm behind the eight ball.

I know I'll regain my strength and get back to living again but it's going to be so much harder this time around. I could use a lot of encouragement.

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Hi welcome back! I hope that you are feeling better. You can do this just don't over do it. :flowerforyou:
  • TheFangsKittie
    TheFangsKittie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You've done really well to maintain. You know the drill...log log log. Glad to hear you are on the mend. Can you swim?aybe worth asking your doctor if its ok to swim for some gentle exercise.
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You've done really well to maintain. You know the drill...log log log. Glad to hear you are on the mend. Can you swim?aybe worth asking your doctor if its ok to swim for some gentle exercise.

Swimming is a great idea but not feasible for me. I live pretty far out in the country with very few gyms available and none of them have a pool. I also live in the north where we have snow on the ground right now so swimming outside is not an option.

I do love swimming and wish there were a way to make it work.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Just follow docs orders are you doing physical therapy? Follow all instruction and ask a lot of questions. Worse case just log and walk.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    That is commendable that you did not gain any while you were injured. You did better than I. I have had 5 foot surgeries on my left foot and needing to schedule a 6th one. I completely understand where you are coming from.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    You know the old saying, about falling off a horse.... :tongue:

A high five for maintaining, especially in the condition you were in!
  • kazoooo8
    Options
    I'm in the same boat!!! Last January I dislocated/fractured my ankle and have a plate with 8 screws in it. Then in April, my mom passed away and at the very moment, she died, I had a stroke from the stress and grief. I have made a full recovery from both. The ankle is still very painful and I have no residual from the stroke except for some short term memory loss. But now I'm ready to start over and have no idea where to start, except that I came back here!! :happy: Walking is still very painful for me but I'm still going to try. I'm also going to do pilates at home. I'm looking into different videos to work out to that won't put a lot of stress on my leg as it continues to heal. Yoga maybe? It will be a long road but we can do this!!!