Severe Pain after Eating

Options
Lately I've been getting severe pain after eating rice (Usually Brown & White mixed, or sometimes just white). I don't know what's going on, but the pain is pretty intense. It feels like the rice just sits in my stomach for hours and I can practically feel each individual grain poking my stomach lining...or something like that.

I don't usually have the pain when I eat other things. I mean I always feel full after eating, and my digestion/emptying is the worst, but I manage.

Just now I ate some diced baked sweet potatoes and split pea soup. I feel FULL, but I do not feel the intense "OMG I'm close to death" pain I feel when I eat rice. It sucks because lately I've really been craving rice but I can't deal with that feeling.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are eating the rice too fast? That's the only thing I can think of?
    My advice- don't eat rice if it makes you feel that way!!
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    As a vegan, rice is kind of a staple in my diet so it's hard to avoid it.

I don't eat anything fast. I'm the slowest eater of everyone I know.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I would definitely say to stop eating rice then. But if something else starts to cause the same thing GO TO THE DOCTOR! I don't mean to yell but this happened to me years ago and it was horrid.

I basically just stopped eating because every meal gave me excruciating pain. I did go to the doctor and it still took them a year to figure out what was wrong. In that time I lost 30lbs from a healthy weight, I was skin and bones, I felt horrible, and had no energy to do anything. I really don't want someone else to go through that so seriously if it happens with something else go to the doctor!

ETA: It started small with just certain foods but as I eliminated those foods more came on. I finally figured out later that it was anything carb based that really caused the pain.
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    I would definitely say to stop eating rice then. But if something else starts to cause the same thing GO TO THE DOCTOR! I don't mean to yell but this happened to me years ago and it was horrid.

I basically just stopped eating because every meal gave me excruciating pain. I did go to the doctor and it still took them a year to figure out what was wrong. In that time I lost 30lbs from a healthy weight, I was skin and bones, I felt horrible, and had no energy to do anything. I really don't want someone else to go through that so seriously if it happens with something else go to the doctor!

ETA: It started small with just certain foods but as I eliminated those foods more came on. I finally figured out later that it was anything carb based that really caused the pain.

I am keeping an eye on it and so far it really seems to be rice that triggers it.

As a soy-free Vegan, If I eliminated carbs, I'd be living on vegetables, almond butter... and that's about it because I think beans are considered carbohydrates.

I don't really eat bread or any of that. My main carbs are rice (brown or white), potatoes, sweet potatoes, and quinoa
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I am keeping an eye on it and so far it really seems to be rice that triggers it.

As a soy-free Vegan, If I eliminated carbs, I'd be living on vegetables, almond butter... and that's about it because I think beans are considered carbohydrates.

Um veggies, fruits, almond butter all has carbs too
  • LilacDreamer
    Options

I've read that people on a low carb diet consume almond butter.

I didn't mention fruit....

People who don't eat vegetables are missing out on a lot of nutrients.

But okay, then I guess I'd be eating nothing if I couldn't have vegetables and almond butter. Awesome
  • GRUNO
    GRUNO Posts: 98
    Options
    Go see a doctor. Intense pain after eating any food is concerning. Avoid rice for the time being and see your doctor.
  • Acg67
    Options

But okay, then I guess I'd be eating nothing if I couldn't have vegetables and almond butter. Awesome

Perhaps low carb isn't ideal for you?
  • kenzietate
    Options

Yes. I normally eat low carb/keto to combat it and I do eat almonds/almond butter and veggies. Though they have carbs, it is a relativity low number of net carbs (carbs-fiber). I can't normally eat fruit except some berries now and then if I want to stay pain free.
  • LilacDreamer
    Options

That's really not what the topic of this thread is about. It's about pain, not Pro/Anti Low-carb.
  • Acg67
    Options

That's really not what the topic of this thread is about. It's about pain, not Pro/Anti Low-carb.

"As a soy-free Vegan, If I eliminated carbs, I'd be living on vegetables, almond butter... and that's about it because I think beans are considered carbohydrates."
  • kenzietate
    Options

"As a soy-free Vegan, If I eliminated carbs, I'd be living on vegetables, almond butter... and that's about it because I think beans are considered carbohydrates."

I think she was just replying to my comment that carbs trigger the pain for me. She wasn't saying she wanted to do that. She was saying that if she ended up with the same health issues as I have then her choices of food would be very limited.
  • LilacDreamer
    Options

I was responding to the person who was suggesting that carbs could be the issue, or at least it is for them. If you clicked this thread hoping to discuss carbs, that's not why I posted this. I appreciate all suggestions, but I really don't need someone to sit there and debate the pros and cons of low carb. There are other threads for that. I'm not planning on pursuing that at this time, that's all.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    The OP was replying to the person who had to eliminate carbs from their diet, not that he/she was planning to do that.

edit: aw, shucks. jinx.

OP, please see a doctor. Anything causing pain like that should be looked at.
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    The OP was replying to the person who had to eliminate carbs from their diet, not that he/she was planning to do that.

Thank you. I really wish people would read the entire thread (or at least the original post) instead of zeroing in on one word and then going off on a tangent about something that has nothing to do with the subject.
  • donnace7
    donnace7 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If you're having pain that you characterize as "severe" its time to go to the doctor, regardless of what's causing it. It's hopefully something minor, but you need to be sure.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're cooking the rice first ....
  • LilacDreamer
    Options

Most. Helpful. Comment. Ever.

Now I know what I've been doing wrong. I've been eating the rice straight out of the bag. Who would have ever thought that rice.....should be cooked?! Utter Insanity. :noway:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Now I know what I've been doing wrong. I've been eating the rice straight out of the bag. Who would have ever thought that rice.....should be cooked?! Utter Insanity. :noway:

I aim to please ...

but c'mon .. you know the right answer ..
  • LilacDreamer
    Options

I aim to please ...

but c'mon .. you know the right answer ..

If I did I wouldn't have created the thread. There's absolutely nothing wrong with trying to see if others have experienced this from eating rice.