What are the best 5k/10k's to run in each state?

Options
My mom and I are planning to run either a 5k or 10k in each state across the US. I was wondering what some of the best and most fun races are. We want to do races that are unique to the state (no color run, zombie run..etc) At this point we have already completed races in the following states:

Arkansas
Florida
Oklahoma
Texas

Replies

• rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    In Charlotte, NC which is NASCAR crazy they have one that finishes at the Charlotte Speedway. It is a 1/2 Marathon and 5K where you finish at the checkered flag on pit row and enjoy a past-race celebration in the garages. March 8-9, 2014.
    http://www.nchalfmarathon.com/

There is another one that finishes on the football field of the Carolina Panther's Stadium.

I just run local 5K's where I live here in NC.
  • mjgrin
    mjgrin Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Alaska doesn't really have too many fun 5ks. The Jingle Bell Run in Anchorage is alright, but kind of scary if you aren't used to running in snow.

Have you heard of www.runningintheusa.com ? They have races for most states on there.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    There's the Sunburst in South Bend, Indiana. You get to finish on the 50 yard line at Notre Dame's football stadium. Sunburstraces.org

There's also the Big 10 Network 5k/10k. It was in Chicago this year, I think it's always there, not sure, though.

You could do a Disney race (Disneyland, since you've already got Florida). Maybe one of the Rock 'n Roll series? I bet the one in Vegas is super cool.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    For MI, pick something on Mackinac Island: http://www.runmackinac.com/

Or, the Detroit Free Press half marathon: http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2013/10/check_detroit_free_presstalmer.html
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    In Mass, the BAA runs a 5K the day before the marathon. Finish line is the marathon's finish line.

Also, unlike the rest of this state, it's a flat course.
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    Alaska doesn't really have too many fun 5ks. The Jingle Bell Run in Anchorage is alright, but kind of scary if you aren't used to running in snow.

4th of July in Seward has the Mount Marathon race which is running straight up a 5,000 ft. mountain and straight back down. I lived in Alaska for 16 years.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    California: its a 12K but close enough! Bay 2 Breakers in San Francisco. A peep/tortilla flinging war at the start, costumes, music, gorgeous scenery, lots of crowd support, you pass buffalo and finish at the beach! There is also a big festival with food and a costume contest afterwards. There are lots of drunks and people partying way too hard but if you are running you'll pass them and get to the festival before they do assuming they even manage to make it that far.

Its so much fun. People get really creative and go all out with their costumes. I've seen wrestlers carrying an actual ring, with card girls and the whole nine and disco floats fully equiped with sound systems and disco balls.
  • akdollie
    akdollie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The Alaska Run For Women in June is a must do! It's a 5 mile not 5k but very worth it and for a great cause. My mom, daughter and I have done it for the last 4 years together.
  • mbhomishak
    mbhomishak Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    These are all AWESOME suggestions! Thanks guys! We are super excited to sign up for our next race.
  • Booda101
    Booda101 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Cooper River Bridge Run is a 10k race held in Charleston, SC in April. I'm thinking of giving that one a go myself. Bridgerun.com
  • Amandatorie
    Amandatorie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    In South Boston there's a St. Patrick's Day 5K. Southie on St. Patrick's day is definitely a pretty cool, local event. :-)
  • admibo
    Options
    They have a 1020 in San Diego that's suppose to be along the beach front. Might be worth checking out. This race is 10 miles not 3 or 6 miles.
  • cwsikes
    Options
    Crescent City Classic 10k in New Orleans is one of the biggest road races in the state I believe and has some unique experiences along the race course.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Columbus, Ohio just held their first Ohio State 4 Miler on November 10th. The course is around Ohio State campus and the race ends on the 50 yard line inside Ohio Stadium, otherwise known as the Horseshoe or the Shoe. The medal was awesome, an almost 3 dimensional replica of the stadium. They plan on making it a yearly event, so if you're in the area in November, it would definitely be one to check out.

Also, the Capital City Quarter Marathon in May or the Emerald City Quarter Marathon in August are nice ones to run, with great finisher medals. M3S Sports is a good local (to columbus) race organization, that hosts several event throughout the year, you can check them out.

Also! the Air Force Marathon at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, they offer both 10k and 5k distances. It takes place in the middle of September. OR! The Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati in May also has a 10k/5k option. Or the Cleveland Marathon 10K/5K option in Mid-May, their medal has a spinning guitar.

Sorry.. I'm new to running and am very excited about finding new races to run in the area.
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The Wilson Bridge half would take care of both VA and MD- nice scenic run over the bridge that connects the two, just south of DC.

The Marine Corps Marathon and 10k are well known- you have to enter a lottery to be chosen to participate. Those are in VA. Army 10-miler is a lottery, too, in DC. Cherry Blossom 10miler and 5k is supposed to be a beautiful run - also a lottery. DC folks like their runs, I guess. There are several 5ks in Annapolis, MD, which is a cute town. Have fun!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    In South Boston there's a St. Patrick's Day 5K. Southie on St. Patrick's day is definitely a pretty cool, local event. :-)

There are also 5Ks all the time along the Charles River in Boston. The views are so gorgeous!
  • HeatherRM14
    HeatherRM14 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Cellcom race in Green Bay, WI if you're a football fan. You run through Lambeau field right before the finish. It has a 5K, 1/2 & full marathon
  • pplf2001
    pplf2001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    St. Patrick's Day 5K in Baltimore, Maryland

Turkey Trot 8K in Buffalo, New York
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    For CT, check out this: http://www.hartfordmarathon.com/

Their events are usually well organized and well run.

Have fun!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Here in Georgia the Peachtree Road Race on July 4th is the largest 10K in the world. 60,000 runners take part in this race. This year was my first (and first 10K) and it was a great time!